The Student Room Group

An eggscellent brain teaser for you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
6 eggs
0 because I ate all the chickens
1 Chicken would lay 1 Egg per day, since you know that the half chicken would lay half an egg in half a day. So theoretically 6 chickens would lay 6 eggs a day total, thus 36 eggs total in 6 days. This brain teaser has put the element of another half chicken in to throw you from the fact that the full chicken is laying eggs at 1 egg per day. At least that's how it works for me
Reply 23
Original post by Lemonzest_
1 Chicken would lay 1 Egg per day, since you know that the half chicken would lay half an egg in half a day. So theoretically 6 chickens would lay 6 eggs a day total, thus 36 eggs total in 6 days. This brain teaser has put the element of another half chicken in to throw you from the fact that the full chicken is laying eggs at 1 egg per day. At least that's how it works for me

How do you know that..
24? Took me a while rereading the question!
1.5 chickens laying 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days.

That's a rate of 1 egg per chicken every 1.5 days, or 2/3 of an egg per chicken per day.

So 2/3 eggs chickens-1 days-1 x 6 chickens x 6 days = 24 eggs as repeatedly posted above :cute:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
How do you know that..

It sounded more logical but it can be 24, depending on what you think is correct
I got 36.. If the ratio of number of chickens : number of eggs per chicken : time for each egg is 1.5 : 1.5 : 1.5, wouldn't that be exactly the same as saying that every 1 chicken will lay 1 egg in 1 day, or 1 : 1 : 1? If that is the case then 6 chickens in a day will lay 6 eggs, times 6 days will give 36 eggs.. Although I am assuming that the laying of the egg is continuous through time which might not be entirely realistic, but the question itself assumes there can be such thing as 1.5 chickens laying 1.5 eggs soo...
(edited 7 years ago)

Can't have half a chicken, or half an egg. The days are legit though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Suppose I have 10 chickens.
These chickens are ranked according to their productivity.

Chicken One lays k eggs per day
Chicken Two lays 2k eggs per day
Chicken Ten lays 10k eggs per day

where k is a positive integer

I pick out three of my chickens. They lay 150 eggs in a day.
I pick out three more chickens (none from the original group). They lay 200 eggs in a day.

What is the value of k?
Reply 30
Original post by Settle
I got 36.. If the ratio of number of chickens : number of eggs per chicken : time for each egg is 1.5 : 1.5 : 1.5, wouldn't that be exactly the same as saying that every 1 chicken will lay 1 egg in 1 day, or 1 : 1 : 1? If that is the case then 6 chickens in a day will lay 6 eggs, times 6 days will give 36 eggs.. Although I am assuming that the laying of the egg is continuous through time which might not be entirely realistic, but the question itself assumes there can be such thing as 1.5 chickens laying 1.5 eggs soo...

No. The problem is that two things are changing, not one. 1.5 chickens will lay 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days. If you go down to only 1 chicken, this is 2/3 the amount of chickens, and in the same amount of time will only lay 2/3 the amount of eggs, right? So you have the ratio 1 : 1 : 1.5. If you also reduce the amount of time to 2/3 of 1.5, the chicken will lay 2/3 the amount of eggs, so you'll actually get 1 : 2/3 : 1

Then you'll get the answer of 2/3 * 6 * 6 = 24 eggs from 6 chickens in 6 days

By the way, surely someone can solve the above, I made it all by myself :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If you have 1.5 chickens, who lay 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days how many eggs will you get from 6 chickens in 6 days?

:chicken:

How can you have 1.5 chickens or eggs ?
Reply 34
Original post by nisha.sri

u wot m8
Suppose I have 10 chickens.
These chickens are ranked according to their productivity.

Chicken One lays k eggs per day
Chicken Two lays 2k eggs per day
Chicken Ten lays 10k eggs per day

where k is a positive integer

I pick out three of my chickens. They lay 150 eggs in a day.
I pick out three more chickens (none from the original group). They lay 200 eggs in a day.

What is the value of k?
briefly went through common factors in my head and decided it was 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by drandy76
briefly went through common factors in my head and decided it was 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

should be right if I made it right.
All except 10 and 25 are too big or too small and 25 forces you to reuse chickens it seems
Obvious answer aside, surely it depends on whether or not said chickens are hens or roosters, and on how reliable we consider the observed rate of egg production etc. :holmes: :tongue:
should be right if I made it right.
All except 10 and 25 are too big or too small and 25 forces you to reuse chickens it seems

Yeah using 25 as K increases too quickly, so you can't make the 200 from what's remaining after the 150
90+40+20
100+70+30
So 10 is definitely correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByronicHero
Obvious answer aside, surely it depends on whether or not said chickens are hens or roosters, and on how reliable we consider the observed rate of egg production etc. :holmes: :tongue:

Egg production is assumed to be constant based on Eggagadro's constant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest