The Student Room Group

Anxiety...

OK, I've never talked about anxiety on a forum before but I feel that now is a good time to do so. I don't really know when I started to get it, I think it was about a year ago or two ago and I never really noticed having it to begin with. It's really affecting me now though and I cannot live like this. Things were so different before I had it and I do not know whether I will get better. It has really affected my work rate and this upsets me. I was rather hard working student but I am not anymore.

My grades have dropped because of it and this actually hurts. I also have a fear of curses and this has led me to be afraid of archaeology, my real passion. I have been led into a vicious cycle that has not only affected my school life but my home life also. It is tiring, both physically and mentally and I hate it. Sometimes, I feel like giving up and locking myself away and talking to no one. I know that isn’t the way forward,but my self-esteem and confidence have both taken a battering.

Anxiety has also affected my social life. I was rather hoping that Sixth Form would be a new start for me but my increased paranoia meant that I messed things up…again.There are so many nice girls who I would have loved to have spoken to and got to know but I’ve missed my opportunity. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve let my friends down through feeling sorry for myself and I’m determined to get myself out of this state but I feel low because of it. Can anybody relate? Are there people on here that would be willing to talk to me to give support? I would really appreciate it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheEmperorofCats
OK, I'venever talked about anxiety on a forum before but I feel that now is a good timeto do so. I don't really know when I started to get it, I think it was about ayear ago or two ago and I never really noticed having it to begin with. It'sreally affecting me now though and I cannot live like this. Things were sodifferent before I had it and I do not know whether I will get better. Ithas really affected my work rate and this upsets me. I was rather hardworkingstudent but I am not anymore. My grades have dropped because of it and thisactually hurts. I also have a fear of curses and this has led me to be afraidof archaeology, my real passion. I have been led into a vicious cycle that hasnot only affected my school life but my home life also. It is tiring, bothphysically and mentally and I hate it. Sometimes, I feel like giving up andlocking myself away and talking to no one. I know that isn’t the way forward,but my self-esteem and confidence have both taken a battering. Anxiety has alsoaffected my social life. I was rather hoping that Sixth Form would be a newstart for me but my increased paranoia meant that I messed things up…again.There are so many nice girls who Iwould have loved to have spoken to and got to know but I’ve missed myopportunity. I’ve lost count of theamount of times I’ve let my friends down through feeling sorry for myself and I’mdetermined to get myself out of this state but I feel low because of it. Cananybody relate? Are there people on here that would be willing to talk to me togive support? I would really appreciate it.
Hey EmperorofCats, have you spoken to your GP or another professional about what you're experiencing? :smile:
I'm trying to put off speaking to my GP, I don't want this to go on my medical record.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hey EmperorofCats, have you spoken to your GP or another professional about what you're experiencing? :smile:
I'm trying to put off speaking to my GP, I don't want this to go on my medical record.

Is there any particular reason for that?
Is there any particular reason for that?

I don't want any uni or employer to see my weakness.

Your medical record is entirely confidential and can only be accessed by medical professionals. There is no way that if you sought medical advice that it would ever be disclosed to anyone else. Whether you decide to disclose it to universities or employers is completely up to you (although I would recommend it, as universities have confidential support systems which help a lot of people). Seeking help is nothing to be ashamed of.*
I feel as people treat me differently because of it.

Original post by Charlotte49
Your medical record is entirely confidential and can only be accessed by medical professionals. There is no way that if you sought medical advice that it would ever be disclosed to anyone else. Whether you decide to disclose it to universities or employers is completely up to you (although I would recommend it, as universities have confidential support systems which help a lot of people). Seeking help is nothing to be ashamed of.*
I was in the same situation but you just have to fake it till you make it and seek help from professionals.
I feel as people treat me differently because of it.

If you were to seek help from your university, it would likely be through their disability service which is confidential. They can help you without informing your course tutors etc. if you don't want them to. You would be surprised how many of your fellow students are getting help for mental health issues.*

Mental health issues such as anxiety aren't weaknesses, they are beyond your control! Your mental health has priority over education and work, I would urge you to seek help! It will be difficult to treat the anxiety and paranoia by yourself. You've said that your grades and relationships are already suffering because of these issues, but that can be resolved! There is absolutely no shame in having mental health issues, and seeking help for them :hugs:
It's already wrecked me. There is no point.

Mental health issues such as anxiety aren't weaknesses, they are beyond your control! Your mental health has priority over education and work, I would urge you to seek help! It will be difficult to treat the anxiety and paranoia by yourself. You've said that your grades and relationships are already suffering because of these issues, but that can be resolved! There is absolutely no shame in having mental health issues, and seeking help for them :hugs:
I couldn't trust them.

Original post by Charlotte49
If you were to seek help from your university, it would likely be through their disability service which is confidential. They can help you without informing your course tutors etc. if you don't want them to. You would be surprised how many of your fellow students are getting help for mental health issues.*
Reply 12
X

Just want to back what Charlotte has said up.

My university wouldn't have known about my diagnosis at all if I hadn't disclaimed it on my UCAS form and even though I did, it was only the disability service who knew about it until I had a meeting with my personal tutor about it :smile:
I couldn't trust them.

They have a duty of care and are confidential services. They would have no reason to breach that confidentially. If you choose not to take their support then that's your prerogative but I would recommend at least seeing your GP. No one can force you to take the support that is available, but complete strangers on the internet can only help you so much.
I couldn't trust them and people will treat me differently, regardless of what people see.

Original post by Deyesy
Just want to back what Charlotte has said up.

My university wouldn't have known about my diagnosis at all if I hadn't disclaimed it on my UCAS form and even though I did, it was only the disability service who knew about it until I had a meeting with my personal tutor about it :smile:
Reply 15
I couldn't trust them and people will treat me differently, regardless of what people see.

People really, really don't treat you differently about any kind of mental illness trust me on that.

I'm seriously, seriously open about my diagnosis (I ended up on Radio 1 talking about it) and it's not stopped me doing anything I've wanted to do whilst studying here. I've been on four committee's, volunteered/still am volunteering for a listening service, I volunteer for TSR, I've made friends, I've done all the 'student' stuff, I work on open days etc, the list goes on.

With the above I'm just trying to show that being open about it doesn't 'put you in a box' :smile: The support I have in place such as extended deadlines,extended library loans, being able to record lectures with my dictaphone are an amazing safety net.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks

Original post by Deyesy
People really, really don't treat you differently about any kind of mental illness trust me on that.

I'm seriously, seriously open about my diagnosis (I ended up on Radio 1 talking about it) and it's not stopped me doing anything I've wanted to do whilst studying here. I've been on four committee's, volunteered/still am volunteering for a listening service, I volunteer for TSR, I've made friends, I've done all the 'student' stuff, I work on open days etc, the list goes on.

With the above I'm just trying to show that being open about it doesn't 'put you in a box' :tongue: The support I have in place such as extended deadlines and extended library loans is an amazing safety net.
Reply 18
Thanks

Just one other thing about the trust thing; the only time my 'confidentiality' has been broken was when I said something to a member of staff which made them worried about my safety and even then it was only passed to the counselling and wellbeing team at my university. As Charlotte says, they have a duty of confidentiality and so nothing you say to them will be passed onto other members of staff.
Of course, thank you very much :smile: .

Original post by Deyesy
Just one other thing about the trust thing; the only time my 'confidentiality' has been broken was when I said something to a member of staff which made them worried about my safety and even then it was only passed to the counselling and wellbeing team at my university. As Charlotte says, they have a duty of confidentiality and so nothing you say to them will be passed onto other members of staff.

Quick Reply

Latest