The Student Room Group

What funding do I qualify for studying part time?

I've looked on the student finance england website, and I do actually qualify for special support grant but when calling them up they said you can't get this studying part time.

I also qualify for DSA I think as I have proof of disabilities. They said you can get this for part time study as well as a student loan.

I've looked on the gov.uk website, it says you can apply for a "fee grant", a "course grant".

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/pt/sfe_part_time_grants_guide_1617_d.pdf

I also think that I'm able to qualify for a care leavers bursary, but not sure where I can get this, like a lot of these forms, I just don't know where to find them. Even asked my supporter at social services if she could tell me, she said she can't until she knows the course. I think I'm eligible for a lot of things because of disability, being on a low income, not living with parents and coming out of care, i'm also entitled for housing benefit.
Housing Benefit is payable for part-time students, and Care Leaver Bursaries are usually only payable to full-time Care Leavers. The application process depends on the University, but is normally automatic by declaration of Care Leaver status to UCAS.

If you receive Employment & Support Allowance, that would continue as long as you stay on a part-time course (it makes certain deductions for Student Loan income, but you are not entitled to Maintenance Loans anyway). Personal Independence Payment would entitle you to Severe Disability Premium.

Do you mind telling us which University you're applying to and such? It helps if you want more specific information.

EDIT - Disabled Students Allowance unfortunately doesn't pay for living costs, it's there to pay for the additional support you'll need.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rather_Cynical
Housing Benefit is payable for part-time students, and Care Leaver Bursaries are usually only payable to full-time Care Leavers. The application process depends on the University, but is normally automatic by declaration of Care Leaver status to UCAS.

If you receive Employment & Support Allowance, that would continue as long as you stay on a part-time course (it makes certain deductions for Student Loan income, but you are not entitled to Maintenance Loans anyway). Personal Independence Payment would entitle you to Severe Disability Premium.

Do you mind telling us which University you're applying to and such? It helps if you want more specific information.

EDIT - Disabled Students Allowance unfortunately doesn't pay for living costs, it's there to pay for the additional support you'll need.

I'm studying at basingstoke college of technology, HND electrical engineering (part time top up), its 1 year course.
Part time students are only entitled to a tution fee loan. They were talking about a small maintenance loan. But currently, you're only entitled to a loan for fees.
Reply 4
Can't you just use DSA to pay for your course? Like just say you need assistance and then bag the money, so you can pay off the loan.
Reply 5
Original post by NullDrone
Can't you just use DSA to pay for your course? Like just say you need assistance and then bag the money, so you can pay off the loan.

DSA doesn't work like that. The only time they would send you money, would be to reimburse pre-agreed expenses for which you have sent them invoices e.g. Taxi travel. You would already have spent the money, so you gain nothing.

If your DSA assessment says that you need assistance, any money will be paid directly to the organisation providing that assistance.
Reply 6

No, because it's not money that gets paid into your account like ESA.... they will pay money to the uni to provide support workers, or they will refund you for things like taxis but only after you have provided reciepts. It's impossible to get money from DSA in the way you want to.
Is there any particular reason you don't want to study Full-Time, by the way? It does make things a little easier.
Reply 8
Because it would mean that I had to travel to and from basingstoke 3 days a week. And I don't see why you would study full time if the HND only took 1 year to complete part time anyway. Would it be any quicker? Also, it's more expensive, don't see why someone would choose to study 3 days when you can do it in the same time studying part time. It's only a 1 year top up before the honours degree in EE.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
don't see why someone would choose to study 3 days when you can do it in the same time studying part time.

Because for most people, the limited funding available for part-time study means that they can't afford it. With full-time study comes the Maintenance Loan, which will at least contribute to living costs.

Studying part-time means that you either need a part-time job which will pay all your bills, savings, someone else supporting you or a combination thereof.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending