Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

STEM second degree 2017

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I have read that applications for STEM subjects as a second degree starting in 2017 will be eligible for a full tuition fee and maintenance loan on the same terms as a first degree loan.

Can anyone confirm with certainty if this is the case or just a proposal at this point?

I was planning on applying through clearing this year but would have to self-fund so waiting a year if I would get a full loan would make a lot of sense.

The other question is that I have used up 4 years of funding but never actually got a degree so would SFE still class me in the same boat as second degree students seen as their calculations when I applied for funding last year only entitled me to the maintenance loan on the same basis as if I had already got an undergrad degree? I had one term at one uni then a few years later did 2 years of one course before being moved to year 2 of a course and had to drop out, so by SFE's calculations that's 4 years of funding used up but no degree!!

Sorry for the long email but I don't want to make a very costly mistake applying this year if I can get a loan in 2017 but likewise I don't want to waste a year if the changes to STEM degrees don't actually happen.

I've just had a look on Google and it's so vague at this point. All I can find is that you can get a tuition fee loan and nothing for living costs.

I am hoping that it won't be too long before the Government do announce what their plans are. When they do, I will update the FAQ.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 30, 2016
Would you rather find
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.