The Student Room Group

Braces and Retainers

I've had my braces (top row) since May and getting the bottom row put in next month. I was wondering how long do most people have braces for?

Once you officially get your braces taken off, how long do you keep wearing your retainers for? Before you ditch them completely? I'd be a bit paranoid about ditching them for good at some point. Since I heard that teeth have some sort of memory of the original position, so it may revert back to it.

Like it's some sort of shape memory alloy...
I think most people have braces for around 2 years, I had mine for just under that. It varies though, I've known people who've had them for 6 months, and others who've had them for 5 years! The time you have to wear your retainers also varies. I'm not sure about other people, but I personally have to wear mine for the rest of my life (if I stop wearing them, my teeth will move back to where they were originally, or there abouts)
Original post by ColossalAtom
I've had my braces (top row) since May and getting the bottom row put in next month. I was wondering how long do most people have braces for?

Once you officially get your braces taken off, how long do you keep wearing your retainers for? Before you ditch them completely? I'd be a bit paranoid about ditching them for good at some point. Since I heard that teeth have some sort of memory of the original position, so it may revert back to it.

Like it's some sort of shape memory alloy...

Have you noticed any noticeable change yet?

I got mine in june...I feel like they are a tiny bit straighter but ugh it is taking awhile :frown:
I got braces when I was in year 7 and I had it for around 2 years I think. As for retainer I got told you need to wear it for as long as possible. I actually haven't worn mine in a while but I need to again
Reply 4
Had braces for 2 years. Been wearing my retainers for about 5 years now. I was told to wear them for as long as possible and I will most likely not stop for a long time, especially since I don't have my wisdom teeth yet.
Had them on for nearly 4 years. Needless to say I'm not the biggest fan of my orthodontist...:angry:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I think most people have braces for around 2 years, I had mine for just under that. It varies though, I've known people who've had them for 6 months, and others who've had them for 5 years! The time you have to wear your retainers also varies. I'm not sure about other people, but I personally have to wear mine for the rest of my life (if I stop wearing them, my teeth will move back to where they were originally, or there abouts)

You have to wear them for like 12 hours a day right? Heard most people just put them on when they go to sleep.

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Have you noticed any noticeable change yet?

I got mine in june...I feel like they are a tiny bit straighter but ugh it is taking awhile :frown:

Yeah, my front right tooth isn't overlapping my left front tooth anymore. I was suppose to have the bottom row in - in my last appointment, but the front right tooth hasn't come down in line with the left yet. Now it has, so my appointment next month will likely have the bottom row in. I have a slight overbite as well.

Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I got braces when I was in year 7 and I had it for around 2 years I think. As for retainer I got told you need to wear it for as long as possible. I actually haven't worn mine in a while but I need to again

It's like we acquired an extra responsibility without knowing.
I had mine for 11 months and then for some reason they took them off even though my teeth aren't straight, then told me that they were 'straight enough' and ended my treatment . . . :hmpf:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think they wanted the top centre area to straighten up a bit first, because they were hoping to put in the bottom row in my last appointment.

Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Had them on for nearly 4 years. Needless to say I'm not the biggest fan of my orthodontist...:angry:

How do they feel and look to you now?
I think they wanted the top centre area to straighten up a bit first, because they were hoping to put in the bottom row in my last appointment.

How do they feel and look to you now?

My teeth look alright, apart from the front two have a gap but I assume she'll move the spring so that'll be fixed. They still hurt when I go to get them adjusted every month. :s-smilie:
Your braces time length depend on how deformed the teeth are. If they are not too much out of shape..less time..otherwise longer. I had mine for 2 years and that was because my teeth were messed.

Retainers I'm on now..total period around 1.5-2 years.
You have to wear them for like 12 hours a day right? Heard most people just put them on when they go to sleep.
Yeah, I put mine in when I go to bed and take them out when I get up :smile:
I had braces for two years and have been wearing my retainer most nights ever since ... so that's five years I've worn my retainer for!:gasp: I plan to wear them for the rest of my life, though I might wear them just a few times a week instead of every night.
Original post by Edminzodo
I had mine for 11 months and then for some reason they took them off even though my teeth aren't straight, then told me that they were 'straight enough' and ended my treatment . . . :hmpf:

Posted from TSR Mobile

wtf! Ur Orthodontist is a bit of a bech!
:colonhash:
I've still got mine, had em since September, orthodontist didn't say how long I'd have them for. He said next time I go will be just for neatening up the teeth, I had teeth out and so the reason it was taking so long was to close the gaps made then.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
wtf! Ur Orthodontist is a bit of a bech!
:colonhash:
I've still got mine, had em since September, orthodontist didn't say how long I'd have them for. He said next time I go will be just for neatening up the teeth, I had teeth out and so the reason it was taking so long was to close the gaps made then.

Oh, right. I'm thinking of going back to my dentist to see if I can get referred for a second opinion as I hate my teeth and feel really self-conscious and miserable about it all. Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Oh, right. I'm thinking of going back to my dentist to see if I can get referred for a second opinion as I hate my teeth and feel really self-conscious and miserable about it all. Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console:
well good luck :yep:
:frown:
I wore mine for a little under 2 years and my orthodontist fixed the retainer to the back of my teeth =)
Sorry to respond to your age old thread.

Length of treatment depends very much on the severity of the case and what outcome you want. I had a particularly severe problem and to obtain perfection would have taken near to 5 years. Put bluntly I am at uni age want to leave home etc. Could not really keep up with oath appoints when I move away and due to mental health problems had difficulty with cleaning. So recently at 3.5 years I had my braces off. I am extremely happy with the result as despite the mental health issue their is no damage to my teeth from poor OH. All major issues solved and major cosmetic improvement. If I later wanted cosmetic perfection could do it separately (although will need to save for the private cost as so far have been NHS) meaning my plans have not been restricted by my brace.

Simple answer to the retainer question is as long as you want your teeth straight which is ultimately life. More complex answer is you must wear till your teeth have settled in their new position. A good but not infallible way to tell if your teeth have settled is whether your wisdom teeth have entered the mouth and ceased to move. If your wisdom teeth are not in at the end of Orthodontic treatment as soon as they move they will move all of your teeth so you must be in nighttime retainment till after wisdom teeth have entered. (This is the advice of one of the UK's leading orthodontists to me). As teeth never truly become settled in the new position, even after wisdom tooth entry, movement is possible but less will occur if retainment is practiced till then. The tricky bit is funding retainment till then! The NHS only fund one year of retainment which is enough if you do not break your retainer. However many clear retainers wear out between that year and wisdom tooth entry. Hawley retainers will last longer bu are quite unsightly. And all retained will only continue to fit if you wear them. After the year responsibility for funding retainer costs comes from you.

Quick Reply

Latest