Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Change status - Overseas to Home - student loan eligibility

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I'm a Chinese student and have been living in Italy for about 20 years. I hold the EC long-term residence permit and I'm applying for Italian citizenship. I have started studying in the UK as an international student since September 2015. I would be very grateful if you could tell me whether I am able to change my status from overseas to EU when my Italian citizenship has been approved and afterward if I'm eligible for an EU student loan. I feel that my situation is a bit more complex and might cause some confusion.

    Thank you very much in advance for your help!

    You can't I'm afraid. It has to be before you start your course.
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You can't I'm afraid. It has to be before you start your course.
    What happens if I start a new course? Am I qualified as a Home EU student if I get the Italian citizenship before the start of my course?

    Hi Stella07

    To apply as an EU national the following applies:
    • Be an EU National*
    • Be a family member of an EU National, a family member is defined as the spouse, civil partner, parent, step-parent, adoptive parent, child, step-child, grandparent
    • Have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three or more years before the start of the course
    • Be living in the United Kingdom on the first day of their course
    • Be attending a course which attracts funding
    *Students must have always been EU nationals. Students who have lived outside the EU then moved to an EU country and acquired EU citizenship or refugee status will not be eligible.

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2016
What were/are your predicted grades?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.