Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Glandular fever making me feel unhappy

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

4 months ago I was diagnosed with glandular fever, also hepatitis secondary to this. I spent almost a week in hospital and missed the whole of the summer term (I have just finished 1st year). Whilst the Universities support and help in dealing with this- extending deadlines/ extenuating circumstances etc, were fabulous, this illness affected 4 out of my 6 modules- 3 of which I had to get extensions for, 6 weeks in total. The other was a practical module run throughout the term which I missed. Also, 3 days after getting out of hospital my grandparent died after a long battle with cancer.

Whilst I dealt with all the issues, I'm still beating myself up. I passed first year with 65%, and I feel I should have achieved at least 68%-70%. I was planning on getting a job, but do not have the energy. Also I have become very inactive and have gained over a stone in weight. This is down to the lack of exercise and the fact I binge eat every day. I'm finding it hard to control what I eat, I think because I always feel I need more energy, and because I'm bored.

Mostly I feel like I'm missing out- I was very active before I got ill, I went to the gym almost every day, I was into sailing and scuba diving and I had so many plans for the upcoming months. All my friends are going on holiday/to festivals etc, and I can't- I find it hard to even go for longish walk or to go swimming.

I'm sorry for the long post but my fatigue and pain doesn't seem to be going anytime soon, and I get every illness passing, I was wondering if anyone had had similar experiences and had any advice on ho to manage this.

Hey, it's sounds like you've had a really rough time. I have CFS following a similar illness just over three years ago (or even the same, we never worked it out!) and can definitely understand the frustration with it not improving and having been so active before. The second one is still the part I find hardest out of everything.

One thing I would say is don't push yourself. If you need to rest, rest. Build yourself up gradually but listen to what your body needs or it could become a much more long term thing- trust me I should know! Talk to your GP about what you can be doing but I would say try and control your eating if you can, cut it down gradually or even just split it into three clear meals a day and this should help with how you feel if nothing else. Try and pace yourself too, doing the same sort of thing however you feel as far as possible. It's hard to get used to but does help when you do.

You're welcome to PM me if you want to talk to someone similar! There's a lot of other people who've been in a similar situation in the CFS/ME thread which is stickied at the top of this forum which could help. Hope things improve for you soon, really sorry to hear about your grandparent too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.