The Student Room Group

FM question to do with coefficients and roots

Hi guys,It's a question from CIE A level further maths, I can do the first part of the question and also can find S3, but I am not sure how to calculate S-2. The examiner report says that S3 = 3 and S-2 = 1 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by i cantthinkofany
Hi guys,It's a question from CIE A level further maths, I can do the first part of the question and also can find S3, but I am not sure how to calculate S-2. The examiner report says that S3 = 3 and S-2 = 1 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Use the deduced equation to find what the sums and products of its roots are (remember; they're not simply α,β,γ\alpha,\beta,\gamma anymore)

S2=(2α+1)2+(2β+1)2+(2γ+1)2S_{-2}=(2\alpha+1)^{-2}+(2\beta+1)^{-2}+(2\gamma+1)^{-2}

=1(2α+1)2+1(2β+1)2+1(2γ+1)2=\frac{1}{(2\alpha+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(2\beta+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(2 \gamma+1)^{2}}

=(2α+1)2(2β+1)2(2α+1)2(2β+1)2(2γ+1)2\frac{\sum(2\alpha+1)^{2}(2\beta+1)^{2}}{(2\alpha+1)^{2}(2\beta+1)^{2}(2\gamma+1)^{2}}

...and you can work from there.

Further hints:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
If you are trying to find Sn S_n then you could make the substitution say z=yn z=y^n , then to find the value of Sn S_n you would just be looking at the coefficient of the second term of the polynomial.
So to find S2 S_2 if you let z=y2 z=y^2 and then rearrange and form a polynomial equation, and look at the second term coefficient, that will be the sum S2 S_2 , so it will be b/a -b/a where's is coefficient of first term and b is coefficient of second term.
Hey guys, thanks for the reply. Both of the methods seem like valid ways to do it!

Quick Reply

Latest