The Student Room Group

Do I need to apply to student finance for NHS course?

Hi so basically I'm going to be studying radiography and have already applied for NHS bursary by BOSS website but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to apply for student finance also because as I am aware we don't get a maintenance grant and I do not want a loan? What other money will student finance give me?
Reply 1
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to also go for a student loan, then yes. While i don't believe it's required you can apply for both. Ideally the NHS bursary would be the one you apply for more strongly you don't have to also go to student finance as they are almost (to the best of my knowledge) independent from each other.

Wait. Nevermind. I think you need to provide proof if your NHS bursary as evidence for your student loan. I think. Sorry for confusing you!
Original post by Agiyuki
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to also go for a student loan, then yes. While i don't believe it's required you can apply for both. Ideally the NHS bursary would be the one you apply for more strongly you don't have to also go to student finance as they are almost (to the best of my knowledge) independent from each other.

Wait. Nevermind. I think you need to provide proof if your NHS bursary as evidence for your student loan. I think. Sorry for confusing you!

You make perfect sense. Thank you so much!
As an NHS student, you're entitled to half of the non-income based student loan. Whilst, as the other poster has said, you are entitled to both, you don't need to apply for the loan if you don't want to. It's there if you want to take it.
As a student in receipt of the NHS bursary you are still entitled to a RRML(reduced rate maintenance loan) from Student Finance. I think the current rate is around £2300) per year - paid in three installments.

There have been changes, so in 16/17 the majority of your funding apart from the RRML will come from the NHS, however in 17/18 it will be transferred to SFE/SFW/SFNI. They will then be responsible for all of your funding.

Definitely put an application in! It'll take 15 minutes online,
Log in, submit the application and then either send your Birth Cert & an ADIF form(website), enter your Passport details online or alternatively send a UK Passport Details form which can also be found on the website(one of these is enough). As you are only applying for the RRML, you won't need to provide any further information, such as eligibility evidence for grants i.e. parents/partners income details. (ONLY SEND IN EVIDENCE IF YOU ARE A NEW STUDENT)

Just keep a regular check on your online correspondence section!

*Also, you will not necessarily need to provide proof of your NHS bursary. It says online that they will need it, however unless it is specifically requested from you via letter(which is very unusual) we won't need that, as it is easily confirmed with the HEP(Higher Education Provider) if a course attracts NHS funding.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest