The Student Room Group

Personal Statement (Medicine)

Really struggling on my intro!
I don't want to give any cliche lines ie "since I was young"/ famous quotes
However I don't actually know how else to begin my statement

Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Just be honest with your answer...what attracts you the most to be a doctor...
Reply 2
Original post by Haaa101
Really struggling on my intro!
I don't want to give any cliche lines ie "since I was young"/ famous quotes
However I don't actually know how else to begin my statement

Any ideas?

Please whatever you do avoid cliche line and quotes. Many people part of reading an application state how much they hate it.
I found it easier to leave the beginning till the end. Focus on the middle if it helps and you may be able to get a clearer idea.
Also the student room has some example personal statements so take a look at those to get a few ideas. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by mliela
Please whatever you do avoid cliche line and quotes. Many people part of reading an application state how much they hate it.
I found it easier to leave the beginning till the end. Focus on the middle if it helps and you may be able to get a clearer idea.
Also the student room has some example personal statements so take a look at those to get a few ideas. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks to both of you!
Yep, whatever you end up doing, please don't start with anything along the lines "from a young age I have always been fascinated by the workings of the human body" :biggrin: If you don't feel like being overly creative, an effective first sentence could be a summary of the reasons why you want to study medicine, or an anecdote.
No worries.
I hated writing my personal statement last year. I am better communicating it than writing my thoughts down. But once you start, it's really easy to keep going.
Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by StationToStation
Yep, whatever you end up doing, please don't start with anything along the lines "from a young age I have always been fascinated by the workings of the human body" :biggrin: If you don't feel like being overly creative, an effective first sentence could be a summary of the reasons why you want to study medicine, or an anecdote.

I'll take note of that, I think as of now I'm leaning more to starting with an anecdote.

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Optimistsan98
No worries.
I hated writing my personal statement last year. I am better communicating it than writing my thoughts down. But once you start, it's really easy to keep going.
Good luck

This question is aimed at you and generally anyone who can answer.

How can you realistically strategically apply to medical school?
I feel as though there are so many entry requirements that are simply misleading. With this being the case how do you actually know which universities would best suit your academic profile.
I find the most effectively way to start a PS is to go straight into it (this doesn't just apply to a Medicine PS). Your first paragraph needs to show evidence of your interest in the subject.

Something along the lines of:
"The book *insert book name here* gave me some perfect examples of the different roles that doctors do as part of their job. This is further evidenced by my work experience..."

I find something like that immediately gets you to talk about your personal experience and interests and that's ultimately what the PS needs to convey especially for Medicine.
Reply 9
Original post by NeverLucky
I find the most effectively way to start a PS is to go straight into it (this doesn't just apply to a Medicine PS). Your first paragraph needs to show evidence of your interest in the subject.

Something along the lines of:
"The book *insert book name here* gave me some perfect examples of the different roles that doctors do as part of their job. This is further evidenced by my work experience..."

I find something like that immediately gets you to talk about your personal experience and interests and that's ultimately what the PS needs to convey especially for Medicine.

I was thinking about writing about a personal hospital experience. I'm just worried this will put me in the cliche category..
Original post by Haaa101
I was thinking about writing about a personal hospital experience. I'm just worried this will put me in the cliche category..

Hmmm, that's a diffcult one. I do know people that have gone along those lines as an intro to their PS and they've been mostly successful. I think it'll have to be something quite significant for it to be worthwhile mentioning otherwhile it might come across as slightly cliche. However, it's still miles better than the "Since I was young..." beginners.
Reply 11
Original post by NeverLucky
Hmmm, that's a diffcult one. I do know people that have gone along those lines as an intro to their PS and they've been mostly successful. I think it'll have to be something quite significant for it to be worthwhile mentioning otherwhile it might come across as slightly cliche. However, it's still miles better than the "Since I was young..." beginners.

Love you for this thanks
Original post by Haaa101
Love you for this thanks

No problem. Ultimately, it's your Personal Statement so it needs to reflect your personal beliefs. We can only advise you but it's always your final decision. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Haaa101
This question is aimed at you and generally anyone who can answer.

How can you realistically strategically apply to medical school?
I feel as though there are so many entry requirements that are simply misleading. With this being the case how do you actually know which universities would best suit your academic profile.

TBH I don't have the best academic profile in my GCSEs and AS levels. Therefore, personally I thought of focusing on my A2s to get the best possible. As a result, I took a gap year.

Now I will know my academics and I am in the process of collecting uni entry requirements. I can then judge which UNIs will best suit me. Ngl, think you do need some luck on your side, because you are only allowed 4 UNIs,

Remember, it's not just about getting into a uni and doing medicine. Think about whether it will suit you overall as a person. For example last year I thought of going to queen Mary's and attended an open day. But no offence to anyone, I hated it. Because it didn't suit me. I didn't see myself there for 5 years.
Reply 14
@Haaa101 Hi there!

Mention any relevant work experience you have, what skills you gained from it and how you can apply that when studying for a degree.

For example, if I'm a Psychology applicant, I could say...
- I volunteered at a nursing home
- I learned that by observing a patient, you'd understand them better
- This has enhanced my observational skills, which I could apply when carrying out experiments.

Best of luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Optimistsan98
TBH I don't have the best academic profile in my GCSEs and AS levels. Therefore, personally I thought of focusing on my A2s to get the best possible. As a result, I took a gap year.

Now I will know my academics and I am in the process of collecting uni entry requirements. I can then judge which UNIs will best suit me. Ngl, think you do need some luck on your side, because you are only allowed 4 UNIs,

Remember, it's not just about getting into a uni and doing medicine. Think about whether it will suit you overall as a person. For example last year I thought of going to queen Mary's and attended an open day. But no offence to anyone, I hated it. Because it didn't suit me. I didn't see myself there for 5 years.

Do you mind me asking what you achieved?
I was really considering a gap year so like yourself I'd know what grades I'd actually of achieved but I'm worried about losing interest in education once I'm out of it. What do you plan on doing to avoid that happening to you?
I didn't think of it like that, youre quite right. I havent actually attended any open days yet - I just dont know where to start
Also try not to underestimate the ukcat/bmat. If you get really good scores try to apply those that use these to give you an interview.
Reply 17
Original post by t s
@Haaa101 Hi there!

Mention any relevant work experience you have, what skills you gained from it and how you can apply that when studying for a degree.

For example, if I'm a Psychology applicant, I could say...
- I volunteered at a nursing home
- I learned that by observing a patient, you'd understand them better
- This has enhanced my observational skills, which I could apply when carrying out experiments.

Best of luck with your application! :smile:

Hey!

I actually made a plan and I want to have a specific more detailed section for work experience which is why I wasnt sure what to put in my intro
Original post by Haaa101
Do you mind me asking what you achieved?
I was really considering a gap year so like yourself I'd know what grades I'd actually of achieved but I'm worried about losing interest in education once I'm out of it. What do you plan on doing to avoid that happening to you?
I didn't think of it like that, youre quite right. I havent actually attended any open days yet - I just dont know where to start

GCSE: I got 4A* 5As and 1C(in art looool!)
AS level: AABB
A level... I think I will get AAA/A*AA
Ukcat last year I got 635

In my gap year, I have got a job as an healthcare assistant in a hospital. I think after attending the interview, and seeing the atmosphere in the hospital, it has only motivated me so much more to be a doctor. I think working with these doctors on a daily basis as part of a team, will only make me more enthusiastic to start medicine next year!
Seriously, after talking to the nurses and doctors in the hospital, made me sooooooo excited for my gap year and to do medicine after a year, I think I will be so much more relaxed, refreshed and raring to go.

I can't wait!

Quick Reply

Latest