The Student Room Group

Is £10,000 enough for rent and living costs in London

I am nearly 28

I could be going to university in London but im unsure due to how expensive it can be there.

I will be getting £10000 for the whole year and that has to cover rent, living costs and travel.

Any body else moved there and live on that amount?*

Scroll to see replies

Which part of London? Have you looked at the area to see how much rent will be roughly?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Which part of London? Have you looked at the area to see how much rent will be roughly?

East london, looked at flat shares and they ususally like £400 pm*12=£4800 per annum*
Original post by tut123
East london, looked at flat shares and they ususally like £400 pm*12=£4800 per annum*

Do they include bills? Your tenancy may not be 12 months.
should be fine in east london. but then youd be living in east london. find another 3k and live in the West trust me
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do they include bills? Your tenancy may not be 12 months.

sometimes, yes.

I was looking at monthly oyster card and it's like £180/4= £45 a week
Original post by tut123
sometimes, yes.

I was looking at monthly oyster card and it's like £180/4= £45 a week

Pay as you go might be cheaper, unless you plan on doing a lot of travelling.
Original post by tut123

That's fine then.
If you say right in London that's not really enough but East isn't that bad it depends where abouts in East.

Good luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are a student getting £10000 in London you should be fine.

I am going Brunel university London

I get £10702 for the year

A uni year is 38weeks at Brunel.

So 10702 - rent for year in halls (includes all bills) is 5240.20

Leaves me with
5461.80 /38

143.73 per week

-35 for food/drinks (soft drinks not alcohol plus toiletries)

-20 for travel on the tube (don't think I will spend this much but just in case)

-7 for my iPhone 6s contract

Leaves me with 81 a week
Reply 9
Original post by Habina786xx
That's fine then.
If you say right in London that's not really enough but East isn't that bad it depends where abouts in East.

Good luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dagenham
Reply 10
Original post by niteninja1
If you are a student getting £10000 in London you should be fine.

I am going Brunel university London

I get £10702 for the year

A uni year is 38weeks at Brunel.

So 10702 - rent for year in halls (includes all bills) is 5240.20

Leaves me with
5461.80 /38

143.73 per week

-35 for food/drinks (soft drinks not alcohol plus toiletries)

-20 for travel on the tube (don't think I will spend this much but just in case)

-7 for my iPhone 6s contract

Leaves me with 81 a week

Thats pretty good going. I hope I can work it like that. *Im *up what is really a council fat where I live, to go, I havn't really got much family. It's going to be risky for me but hopefully it works out. In another sense I haven't much to lose.

The only other bills I have are gym membership and the flat shares i've seen say they include wifi.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tut123
Thats pretty good going, I could be giving up what is really a council fat where I live, if I go and havn't got many people myself. *It's going to be risky for me but hopefully it works out. *

Just remember that's based on 38weeks and he sfe payments are arranged awkwardly so for my budget to work out I have to have £950 every term (3months) which I then get back as the final payment is so much larger.
Reply 12
Just remember that's based on 38weeks and he sfe payments are arranged awkwardly so for my budget to work out I have to have £950 every term (3months) which I then get back as the final payment is so much larger.

How do the payments work? *Do they pay just £950 for 3 months, how can that pay the rent?*
Original post by tut123
How do the payments work? *Do they pay just £950 for 3 months, how can that pay the rent?*

No they £950 is how much short I am for my 81£ a week left over however my final payment is so much bigger I get the money back

image.png
(edited 7 years ago)
So because my final rent payment is so much lower but my finance payer is higher it all balances out at this final payment as this final section of living is also 6 weeks vs 16 for the other terms
Reply 15
No they £950 is how much short I am for my 81£ a week left over however my final payment is so much bigger I get the money back

image.png

I won't even be getting that much:

Maintenance loan: *£6,780

Maintenance grant: *£3,475 **
Original post by tut123
I won't even be getting that much:

Maintenance loan: *£6,780

Maintenance grant: *£3,475 **

Grant? You have applied for the 2016//17 finance and not last years as this year there are no grants so unless you are going on to year2 you shouldn't get the grant
Reply 17
So because my final rent payment is so much lower but my finance payer is higher it all balances out at this final payment as this final section of living is also 6 weeks vs 16 for the other terms

Oh, thanks. *That is interesting and helpful to know. *
Reply 18
Grant? You have applied for the 2016//17 finance and not last years as this year there are no grants so unless you are going on to year2 you shouldn't get the grant

Im in NI, not sure if that makes a difference but according to the website it say it's available *
Reply 19

http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=54,1266217&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL**

Quick Reply