Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Backpackers jobs in USA

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    I'm currently travelling South America and am hoping to extend my trip and do central and North America too but I have been working things out and I've realised my budget might not stretch to North America.

    Ideally I don't want to hang around in central for a month or something so I was wandering is it possible to get monthly or short term jobs for backpackers in the states?

    How would I go about sorting these?

    Jobs can be anything: waiting on tables, being a porter, working in hostels, whatever, I'm not fussy.

    Thanks for any ideas all

    You'll need a J1 visa ("exchange program") to get any sort of temporary remunerated job in the United States, and to get a J1 visa you'll need a sponsor.

    It's quite difficult to organise sponsorship from anywhere other than home. Also, you'd need to pay a hefty sponsor fee and visa processing fee.

    Much easier to go to Canada as you can organise it directly with the government, but it says they're not accepting any more applications for the "2016 season". You could get a sponsor, but you have to pay their fees.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.