Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Is it worth it doing a degree which you got a D in for A-Level?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I really enjoy learning about sociology, I even got a B in AS for it, however in A2 I can tell that I really did bad for unit 4, so I might get a poor grade this year. So if I'm actually in this situation(highly likely) for results day, what is the best thing to do, should I resit one unit at university. I also have a unconditional offer, and predicted results for my BTEC would pretty much be the real grade on paper for science I got a Distinction* and for public service I got a Merit. I'm just scared for sociology because that is the subject that I'm doing for university.

I mean if it's what you enjoy above all else then nobody has the right to say you shouldn't do it....especially with an unconditional...there must be a reason that uni thinks you're appropriate for it too. I'm guessing if it's just that one unit then it's not a true reflection of your overall performance and maybe it was just a bad exam paper for you/ you had an off day (I don't do sociology so I have no clue what it was like but some of the papers this year were disgusting).
    It wouldn't hurt to resit that one unit and if it would make you feel better about your A Level grade then all the more reason to do it.

Above all you have to ask yourself if this degree is what you really want to do. In your situation, with an unconditional offer, it's not as if your grade would hold you back on getting a place at a uni...your grade would only hold you back if you didn't actually know the content for unit 4 and brushed off the exam without putting any effort in. If you can improve your grade by resitting a unit then I totally would.

Sure, go for it if you want to do it.

Though I would resit that unit as well if you can.

Subjects are different at degree level. Lots of people think its just like A level and it isnt. Wait until you get to Uni and start your course - you cant make any assumptions about how you will find it right now.

And lots of people will be scared about grades right now - thousands of people,all over the country. Thats natural. Don't worry - most people will have done better than they think and be off to Uni in September.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.