The Student Room Group

GLS training contract application

Hi has anyone else applied to the GLS this year? I could really use some help with a boring admin point ....

I submitted my application but then when I checked the Application History on the Candidate Portal, there was no longer a record of my application. Did anyone else notice this? (The reason I'm concerned is that shortly after submission the Candidate Portal page crashed and I got a weird error message... which made me wonder if all was well.) I've contacted technical support (run by TMP Worldwide) and GLS have confirmed that my application was received.... but due to my circumstances this doesn't actually confirm if it's being processed.

.... because although I had confirmation stating an application was submitted I then withdrew a duplicate incomplete application, with a different date, listed separately and it looks like a glitch on the system linked the email addresses and withdrew both applications...

I don't want to seem too paranoid but previously on the Portal page there was an application listed stating application date and job title and now there isn't anything listed .... so it would be super helpful to know if I'm definitely supposed to see an application listed under Application History or if now everyone's Application History is blank.

Does anyone else have their submitted application listed or does it just "disappear" post submission?

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WA senior
Hi has anyone else applied to the GLS this year? I could really use some help with a boring admin point ....

I submitted my application but then when I checked the Application History on the Candidate Portal, there was no longer a record of my application. Did anyone else notice this? (The reason I'm concerned is that shortly after submission the Candidate Portal page crashed and I got a weird error message... which made me wonder if all was well.) I've contacted technical support (run by TMP Worldwide) and GLS have confirmed that my application was received.... but due to my circumstances this doesn't actually confirm if it's being processed.

.... because although I had confirmation stating an application was submitted I then withdrew a duplicate incomplete application, with a different date, listed separately and it looks like a glitch on the system linked the email addresses and withdrew both applications...

I don't want to seem too paranoid but previously on the Portal page there was an application listed stating application date and job title and now there isn't anything listed .... so it would be super helpful to know if I'm definitely supposed to see an application listed under Application History or if now everyone's Application History is blank.

Does anyone else have their submitted application listed or does it just "disappear" post submission?

Thank you.

mine also disappeared post submission, but I'm not worried as I did get email confirmation.
Reply 2
Original post by thisisjack
mine also disappeared post submission, but I'm not worried as I did get email confirmation.

Thank you so much for confirming.
Reply 3
Hi, yes, that's normal apparently (I was also worried and called them to double check)
Reply 4
Good thing you checked because it happened to me last year and apparently they could not find my application. I had to wait a whole year to reapply. Thankfully i'm through to the next round
You'd think they'd put a notice / FAQ to tell you this happens so you're not all worried!
I think I screwed up the Verbal Reasoning Test. So sad right now :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by WBZ144
I think I screwed up the Verbal Reasoning Test. So sad right now :frown:

I'm still practicing. Not going very well. :frown: I'm doing to do it on Friday afternoon.

How many questions are there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by divamk
I'm still practicing. Not going very well. :frown: I'm doing to do it on Friday afternoon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

30. I did very well with the practice but the actual test was too rushed, as it was only 19 minutes. I had 3 seconds left in the end...
Reply 9
Original post by WBZ144
30. I did very well with the practice but the actual test was too rushed, as it was only 19 minutes. I had 3 seconds left in the end...

Well hopefully you'll hit the pass mark. Do you know what the pass mark is by any chance. I tried contacting them but nobody had a clue.
Original post by divamk
Well hopefully you'll hit the pass mark. Do you know what the pass mark is by any chance. I tried contacting them but nobody had a clue.

Nah, have no idea. That may be a good thing though; I can try to lay off the anxiety until next week.
Reply 11
Original post by WBZ144
Nah, have no idea. That may be a good thing though; I can try to lay off the anxiety until next week.

I feel the same. I ran out of time and ended up rushing the last 5 questions 😩 Has anyone ever done the VRT and received feedback of what their score was and what the pass rate was?? I'm hoping it's not too high...
Reply 12
I just spoke to an advisor on the GLS trainee recruitment team who said they are not able to let us know what the pass mark is until they receive all attempts from all candidates. -_-

He then said "try to aim for the highest possible mark" OBVIOUSLY!
Reply 13
it's fine to have three seconds to answer the last question - as long as you answer it and feel you answered correctly. ok it's cutting it fine but it may mean you timed it perfectly - you used maximum time to answer and went through the test (hopefully) giving correct answers.

the trick is to give the correct answer but to progress through. you can't waste too long on any one question as you need to able to read all the questions and answer properly. (Dah)

re "pass mark" as I understand it they're looking to halve the number of applicants so it will be a normalised score i.e. whomever does better, compared to everyone else, goes through. i guess in instances where candidate scores are tied they then either take everyone with that score or reject everyone with score. Ouch.
Reply 14
Original post by divamk

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to submit the test BEFORE noon on Friday. So you cannot take it Friday afternoon. Friday morning yes. if you complete the process before noon...
Reply 15
Original post by WA senior
You have to submit the test BEFORE noon on Friday. So you cannot take it Friday afternoon. Friday morning yes. if you complete the process before noon...

Hiya...yes thank you for that...I realised today that the email said noon.

:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by WBZ144

What was your score with the practice ones if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by divamk
What was your score with the practice ones if you don't mind me asking.

I was in the 91st percentile after the last one.
Reply 18
Just completed the VRT

It was better than I thought it would be. Unfortunately I ran out of time and so failed to answer the last 2 questions. :-(

Anyway nothing we can do now so good luck
Reply 19
Original post by divamk
Just completed the VRT

It was better than I thought it would be. Unfortunately I ran out of time and so failed to answer the last 2 questions. :-(

Anyway nothing we can do now so good luck

Yes, good luck everyone! Fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Latest