The Student Room Group

16 and can't get in to a damn job.

I have had 6 interviews and can't get in anywhere for this long GCSE holiday.
Subway
B and M
Poundland
Mc Donalds
Sports Direct
Go Outdoors

Should I give up? and why may they not have accepted me?

I attended the interviews in formal clothing and was very polite in the interviews and asked them many questions about there company and what time work would start from and other appropriate questions to the positions. I even said I would be happy to continue work after the GCSE holidays.

My dad keeps moaning at me too.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I have had 6 interviews and can't get in anywhere for this long GCSE holiday.
Subway
B and M
Poundland
Mc Donalds
Sports Direct
Go Outdoors

Should I give up? and why may they not have accepted me?

I attended the interviews in formal clothing and was very polite in the interviews and asked them many questions about there company and what time work would start from and other appropriate questions to the positions. I even said I would be happy to continue work after the GCSE holidays.

My dad keeps moaning at me too.

Speaking from personal experience, if you are applying for summer jobs, you've left it rather late. If you will be attending Sixth Form they may be reluctant to recruit you without knowing your timetable etc.

Also, bear in mind that you may be competing against adults with experience. At my own Subway interview, there were 30 year olds with years of employment, whereas I had zero.

Also asking 'many questions' about the companies may not be the best way to be at an interview. A few questions are okay.

I couldn't get a job for two years and then I got three at once.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you like, and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Register with your local Volunteer Bureau. If you do ,say 2 or 3 hours of voluntary work a week for a few weeks it will be something to add to your CV. OK you won't be getting paid, but it will open up doors for you further down the line. Don't know what your plans are post GCSE. But if you do a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma which is equivalent to 3 A Levels, it is compulsory to complete 200 hours work experience in the first year and another 200 hours in the second in order to get your qualification. My son did this course and has just finished the HNC in Health and Social Care. He starts the HND in Health and Social Care in Sept. He has worked in a Nursery with 3 and 4 year olds, in an addiction centre working with alcoholics, in an old people's home [only for 2 weeks though as he hated it], and for five months, two days a week in a primary school as a classroom assistant. OK, he was only given the opportunity because of the courses he was on, but I know websites like Volunteer Now, which is here in Northern Ireland, are looking for volunteers in lots of different fields. From what I understand, when there are so many applicants who have all the same generic qualifications as one another, something like having done voluntary work will make your CV stand out. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending