The Student Room Group

If I got a U, do I have no qualification?

I got a U in AS biology and subsequently dropped it at the end of my first year of sixth form. Now I'm about to apply to postgrad courses, I'm concerned it'll make my application look bad. However, if I got a U and never continued to A2, surely I have no qualification, and thus have no need to tell the university of it?

BBCU just looks daft to me
I got an E at as bio and I still included it in my application. Since I wasn't taking it on to A2 it didn't have an effect on my application. I guess you could just leave it out if it bothers you.
Original post by arneldfad
I got a U in AS biology and subsequently dropped it at the end of my first year of sixth form. Now I'm about to apply to postgrad courses, I'm concerned it'll make my application look bad. However, if I got a U and never continued to A2, surely I have no qualification, and thus have no need to tell the university of it?

BBCU just looks daft to me

The rules about declaring Us on UCAS have changed since you applied, I'm guessing, if you are now graduating. They must now be declared. I know that postgrad applications are not via UCAS, but I think you can expect universities to still have the same attitude towards full disclosure. The 'truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' guideline is good for most things like this, I think. Here is the current UCAS declaration:
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
Reply 3
I think it depends on the status of certain universities.
Different universities have different entry requirements. If you're applying for a competitive course, then it might create an impact. However, if the course that you're willing to take has no relevance to Biology then I don't think it matters if you include it in your application. However I believe you have to include the grades of every subject that you have been awarded, including U grades. I'm not too sure though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
My application is for the MMedsci in clinical communications at sheffield uni- I got such a bad grade because I was going through personal issues at home, In my first set of AS exams I actually got a U in everything but English language, but I managed to do quite well in them after the issue was cleared up. My problem with biology was that I wasn't allowed to drop it due to some bizarre funding issue (my college was very small and rural), so the teacher advised that I drop the course before A2 but stay enrolled for the remainder. in fact, my final results slip doesn't even mention Biology, so perhaps it wasn't "cashed in" as they say.
Reply 5
I also found this on the UoS postgrad application for past education-
"Please provide details, including results, of all higher education examinations or professional qualifications that you have taken or are taking. Please also include any qualifications that you have not yet completed, did not complete or failed. YouDO NOT need to include any qualifications below degree level (e.g. school certificates/qualifications).Adding more than one qualification
You should enter your qualifications one at a time then click 'Save And Continue'. You will be taken back to the 'Your Details' page. If you wish to add more, click on 'Add another qualification' and repeat the process.Certificates and other documentation
At the end of this page you can upload scanned copies of your certificates, transcripts and translations. Alternatively, you can tell us that you will be uploading or posting them later, or that you will not be sending them at all.Items marked with an asterisk * must be completed."
"You DO NOT need to include any qualifications below degree level (e.g. school certificates/qualifications). "

So does this mean I don't even have to include my a level results?
Reply 6
LOL I never declare my GCSE grades and I've never been rejected from a Job or a Uni application. Mainly because I'm a mature student and I took GCSE in the late 90's :colondollar: But most importantly you only have to declare your highest education level and relevnt qualifications. So for my postgrad application I put my degree and my HNC qualification because they are high awards and they are relevant to the course I wanted to study and I've been accepted with not issues.
Original post by arneldfad
I also found this on the UoS postgrad application for past education-
"Please provide details, including results, of all higher education examinations or professional qualifications that you have taken or are taking. Please also include any qualifications that you have not yet completed, did not complete or failed. YouDO NOT need to include any qualifications below degree level (e.g. school certificates/qualifications).Adding more than one qualification
You should enter your qualifications one at a time then click 'Save And Continue'. You will be taken back to the 'Your Details' page. If you wish to add more, click on 'Add another qualification' and repeat the process.Certificates and other documentation
At the end of this page you can upload scanned copies of your certificates, transcripts and translations. Alternatively, you can tell us that you will be uploading or posting them later, or that you will not be sending them at all.Items marked with an asterisk * must be completed."
"You DO NOT need to include any qualifications below degree level (e.g. school certificates/qualifications). "

So does this mean I don't even have to include my a level results?

Yes, that's exactly what that means.

Most postgrad applications don't ask for high school qualifications because they don't matter. They only care about your degree and any relevant experience. Unless explicitly asked for I would leave out your a-levels (though if they do ask, it's best to include all of them even the U).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending