The Student Room Group

Maths and Further Maths module help!

Hi, I am soon to receive my AS grades for the exams I took in May/June and I was wondering how the grades are formed depending on what modules you do.

For maths I did: C1, C2 and S1
For further maths I did: M1, FP1 and D1

So far I feel like I got at least 90% in C1 and C2 but I dunno about S1. In D1 I am confident I got at least 80% and in M1 I feel I got or very close to 100%. FP1 maybe 75% - 85% (really dont know!)

I believe that if they are marked using these modules (C1, C2, S1 for normal maths etc), I can get an A in both. But I have heard that if you do better in M1 than in S1, the UMS for M1 will be used for normal maths instead of the further. If this swap was made I would definitely get an A in normal maths but maybe a B in further. This would mean worse results surely?

Please can someone help me?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellot
Hi, I am soon to receive my AS grades for the exams I took in May/June and I was wondering how the grades are formed depending on what modules you do.

For maths I did: C1, C2 and S1
For further maths I did: M1, FP1 and D1

So far I feel like I got at least 90% in C1 and C2 but I dunno about S1. In D1 I am confident I got at least 80% and in M1 I feel I got or very close to 100%. FP1 maybe 75% - 85% (really dont know!)

I believe that if they are marked using these modules (C1, C2, S1 for normal maths etc), I can get an A in both. But I have heard that if you do better in M1 than in S1, the UMS for M1 will be used for normal maths instead of the further. If this swap was made I would definitely get an A in normal maths but maybe a B in further. This would mean worse results surely?

Please can someone help me?

Thanks

They will combine your unit results to give you the best possible grade in maths first and then the best grade in FM, then they will maximise your maths ums.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
They will combine your unit results to give you the best possible grade in maths first and then the best grade in FM, then they will maximise your maths ums.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So does that mean that they will swap the S1 for the M1? Because surely if I can get an A in both subjects, it would be stupid to make it so I can only get an A and a B
Original post by ellot
So does that mean that they will swap the S1 for the M1? Because surely if I can get an A in both subjects, it would be stupid to make it so I can only get an A and a B

They don't have to "swap" S1, it was never tied to maths in the first place, they take your 6 results and combine them within the rules to give you the best possible outcome. If putting M1 in maths and S1 in FM produces the best results that's what they will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
They don't have to "swap" S1, it was never tied to maths in the first place, they take your 6 results and combine them to give you the best possible outcome. If putting M1 in maths and S1 in FM produces the best results that's what they will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, I understand now thanks. So they always combine them to get the best possible results across the two.

Thanks for the quick reply, your the best :smile:
Original post by ellot
Ah ok, I understand now thanks. So they always combine them to get the best possible results across the two.

Thanks for the quick reply, your the best :smile:

Do check though as once or twice there have been errors - more so at A level. The modules can be combined in a different way next year when you've done A2s.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Do check though as once or twice there have been errors - more so at A level. The modules can be combined in a different way next year when you've done A2s.

When you say errors, I guess you mean in the combination of the modules. I will see what I get on results day and I will act on what happens then. Just under 3 weeks to results so was getting worried, thanks for really quick replies
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I just hope edexcel can see that if the modules are used in a certian combination, I can get an A in both subjects for AS level.
Reply 8
They don't have to "swap" S1, it was never tied to maths in the first place, they take your 6 results and combine them within the rules to give you the best possible outcome. If putting M1 in maths and S1 in FM produces the best results that's what they will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If M1 was placed in maths and S1 in FM, i would get better normal maths UMS but a worse set of grades. So would this happen or would edexcel make it so I get two A's.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ellot
If M1 was placed in maths and S1 in FM, i would get better normal maths UMS but a worse set of grades. So would this happen or would edexcel make it so I get two A's.

They should make it 2 A's I believe. They maximise the grade not the UMS. So say it was the choice between giving you A* B (at A2) and A A, they'd give you A A .
Original post by k4l397
They should make it 2 A's I believe. They maximise the grade not the UMS. So say it was the choice between giving you A* B (at A2) and A A, they'd give you A A .

Actually in that case they would give you the A*B over the AA.

But for the OP they will always give you the better grade over the higher UMS

"Please note: the above maximisation process places, for example,
a grade combination of AU above a grade combination of, say, BEanda grade combination of BU above a grade combination of, say, CE. "
Reply 12
Original post by neveroddoreven

a grade combination of AU above a grade combination of, say, BEanda grade combination of BU above a grade combination of, say, CE. "

I am doing edexcel and you cannot get an A* at AS level so surely I should just get A, A (on AS results day)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neveroddoreven

Yep you're right, that's what I was meant to put :P ty for correcting me
Reply 14
Original post by k4l397
Yep you're right, that's what I was meant to put :P ty for correcting me

I am doing edexcel and you cannot get an A* at AS level so surely I should just get A, A (on AS results day), although I understand that this could change to A*, B at A2 based on my other modules I will be doing in the future.
Just wondering, how do you get an A* in Further Maths?
I know that for Maths it's 90% over C3 & C4 and 80% overall (right? :biggrin:), so for FM are there also specific modules you have to get 90% in?
Reply 16
Original post by surina16
I know that for Maths it's 90% over C3 & C4 and 80% overall (right? :biggrin:), so for FM are there also specific modules you have to get 90% in?

good question, not sure myself though. I haven't heard of any specific module requirements
Original post by ellot
I am doing edexcel and you cannot get an A* at AS level so surely I should just get A, A (on AS results day), although I understand that this could change to A*, B at A2 based on my other modules I will be doing in the future.

Yes I know, was just giving an example. In that case yes you'd just get A A.
Original post by surina16

90+ Ums in 3 A2 modules plus 480 ums average overall, so the same as other subjects really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chatterbox111

This definitely helped:colone:

Quick Reply