The Student Room Group

what does gcse double award mean in science ?

hey guys!

so i was going through university requirements for MEDICINE. and the following came up.
'
Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:

grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science'

what does le award science mean?
and what are single awards?
and could someone summarise what the requirement mentions, because i don't understand it.
*i do cie igcse and edexcel gcses* and im currently waiting for my results.

the following are the grades i expect get on results day this in a few days:

FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH : A/B
ECONOMICS : A/B
PHYSICS : A/B
CHEMISTRY : A/B
BIOLOGY : A*/A
PSYCHOLOGY (edexcel gcse): A*/A
MATHEMATICS (edexcel gcse) : A*/A
ENGLISH LITERATURE : A (already have).

many thanks
Original post by 2000rules
hey guys!

so i was going through university requirements for MEDICINE. and the following came up.
'
Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:

grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science'

what does le award science mean?
and what are single awards?
and could someone summarise what the requirement mentions, because i don't understand it.
*i do cie igcse and edexcel gcses* and im currently waiting for my results.

the following are the grades i expect get on results day this in a few days:

FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH : A/B
ECONOMICS : A/B
PHYSICS : A/B
CHEMISTRY : A/B
BIOLOGY : A*/A
PSYCHOLOGY (edexcel gcse): A*/A
MATHEMATICS (edexcel gcse) : A*/A
ENGLISH LITERATURE : A (already have).

many thanks

Generally, students study Core and Additional Science which makes up the double award, or they study the sciences separately like you have giving you a GCSE in each. So you do meet the requirements :smile: some students may only study Core Science which is a single award.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Single award is when you study each science in lots of detail... One science gets one qualification.

Double award is when you sit exams for all three sciences and then all the exams count towards two grades. These are based on the average result for all science exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Double award is Unit 1,2,3 and 4
Single award is Unit 1 and 2 only.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Reply 4
i have taken extended in all the three sciences, cie igcse. does that still fit the requirements?
Reply 5
Original post by chemistrynerd13
Single award is when you study each science in lots of detail... One science gets one qualification.

Double award is when you sit exams for all three sciences and then all the exams count towards two grades. These are based on the average result for all science exams.
Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks mate!
Reply 6
Original post by Changing Skies
Generally, students study Core and Additional Science which makes up the double award, or they study the sciences separately like you have giving you a GCSE in each. So you do meet the requirements :smile: some students may only study Core Science which is a single award.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest