The Student Room Group

Laptop Hep Needed

I have had a hp laptop for like six years now, and it's getting slow and is really bulky so I can't take it out, also the battery doesn't last more than five mins.

I really would like a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro or maybe even an iMac, because I have an iPhone and iPad, and love apple products, but don't know what one would be best for me?
I am about to start my a levels and would mainly use it for the Internet (research etc) creating documents and it would probably be on my desk all the time, but I like the idea of being able to take it out and about.
Any suggestions would be helpful!
Reply 1
Since you won't need a lot of power, I'd cross out the MB Pro. That leaves the 12 inch MB and the Air.

The 12 inch MB only has a USB C port and a lot of people have an issue with this. The air is a bit heavier but still very light and has more ports. I think the MB Air will be replaced very soon so I wouldn't recommend buying one now.

If it's going to be sitting on your desk a lot, I'd suggest a small MB Air (new model) or MB Retina with an external monitor and keyboard and mouse. This is similar to the solution I'm using and allows you to have a really portable laptop with plenty of real estate in terms of pixels when you're at your desk. A decent sized monitor with a keyboard and mouse should be around £100 so it's a fraction of the cost of the Macbook.

You may even want to consider the iPad Pro. Those things are damn cool and really functional but from what I've read, Microsoft Surface Pro does a much better job. You've said you like Apple products so I won't go into Windows territory.
Get an SSD mate
Reply 3
Original post by Funnycatvideos
Get an SSD mate

SSDs won't help with the bulkiness or battery. Most Apple products now use SSDs. If OP hadn't said they're looking pretty much exclusively at Apple products, I have plenty of Windows ultraportables to recommend.
In my opinion, if you're not using it for anything specific like photoshop or editing software, there's really no point in getting anything other than the Macbook Air. Also since it's lighter it's better for taking to lectures and the library and stuff.

I looked at all the different Macs but ended up not even getting one because they were soooo expensive, but my original choice was the Macbook Air, simply because I didn't need it for anything other than the internet and word documents and maybe Netflix, hence why I ended up getting a tablet/laptop thing
Reply 5
Original post by M451
Since you won't need a lot of power, I'd cross out the MB Pro. That leaves the 12 inch MB and the Air.

The 12 inch MB only has a USB C port and a lot of people have an issue with this. The air is a bit heavier but still very light and has more ports. I think the MB Air will be replaced very soon so I wouldn't recommend buying one now.

If it's going to be sitting on your desk a lot, I'd suggest a small MB Air (new model) or MB Retina with an external monitor and keyboard and mouse. This is similar to the solution I'm using and allows you to have a really portable laptop with plenty of real estate in terms of pixels when you're at your desk. A decent sized monitor with a keyboard and mouse should be around £100 so it's a fraction of the cost of the Macbook.

You may even want to consider the iPad Pro. Those things are damn cool and really functional but from what I've read, Microsoft Surface Pro does a much better job. You've said you like Apple products so I won't go into Windows territory.

Thanks for your help, do you think that the MacBook Air will be replaced by something new that may be better for me, because I am not rushing to buy one and would happily wait if a new model was coming out?
Also, is there a MacBook with more ports, or is the 12 inch with the one USB c port the only one available?
If you were to suggest one for me to buy now, which would it be? I am not keen on getting another iPad (even though the pro looks great)
Original post by SRGW19
Thanks for your help, do you think that the MacBook Air will be replaced by something new that may be better for me, because I am not rushing to buy one and would happily wait if a new model was coming out?
Also, is there a MacBook with more ports, or is the 12 inch with the one USB c port the only one available?
If you were to suggest one for me to buy now, which would it be? I am not keen on getting another iPad (even though the pro looks great)

They're supposedly scrapping the Air range in 2017 since they have the iPad Pro now
Reply 7
Original post by SRGW19

I'm not very switched on with Apple products but from what I know, the new model could also have USB C ports and should just have the typical updates, a slightly better aesthetic, new processors and graphics, a little bit lighter and thinner. I'd just be reluctant to buy one now because a new model should be here soon. Some are saying that the 11 inch will go and a 15 inch will come in. There are only rumors for now but time will tell.

The Macbook Air and Macbook Pro have decent ports. Full details are easy to find. The Macbook Retina (12 inch) only has a single USB C.

At this moment in time, I'd suggest a Macbook Air 11 or 13 inch. The size just goes down to personal preference. Both of these have low resolution screens so I'd want at least one extra monitor for the desk. The 12 inch Macbook has a higher resolution screen but it's small so the extra pixels don't matter for much.
Reply 8
Original post by rleah1998
They're supposedly scrapping the Air range in 2017 since they have the iPad Pro now

I've done some more reading and this seems likely. I take back my previous comments on not getting an Air now because it could be replaced but I still don't think I'd get it for what it is. It's down to the OP.
Reply 9
I'd get a MacBook Pro. My 2012 mbp is a beast and will handle anything that gets thrown at it (literally sometimes). The new MacBook has a woefully underpowered processor which could be a nuicancse when multitasking between multiple websites and word, iTunes etc. Many of my friends have a MacBook Air and love them though so that's always an option - it ways a lot less but less powerful. my last MacBook Pro lasted 9 years and I only got rid of it because it couldn't handle photoshop very well any more. I still use it for music. Apple is the way to go.
Do check the price difference between getting a laptop over an imac. If you are hardly going to move it, then I think its an expensive luxury needing it to be portable.
Original post by M451
I've done some more reading and this seems likely. I take back my previous comments on not getting an Air now because it could be replaced but I still don't think I'd get it for what it is. It's down to the OP.

Yeah another reason why I didn't get it; no point owning a defunct product and too expensive for something not particularly magnificent but useful if you have all apple products anyway, which I did not so that perk was irrelevant.
Original post by 999tigger
Do check the price difference between getting a laptop over an imac. If you are hardly going to move it, then I think its an expensive luxury needing it to be portable.
Truth
Reply 13
Original post by tg1998
I'd get a MacBook Pro. My 2012 mbp is a beast and will handle anything that gets thrown at it (literally sometimes). The new MacBook has a woefully underpowered processor which could be a nuicancse when multitasking between multiple websites and word, iTunes etc. Many of my friends have a MacBook Air and love them though so that's always an option - it ways a lot less but less powerful. my last MacBook Pro lasted 9 years and I only got rid of it because it couldn't handle photoshop very well any more. I still use it for music. Apple is the way to go.

OP doesn't seem to need power. Even if they did, I'd recommend a Windows based mobile workstation for raw power because they offer so much more. It is true that CPU power has actually started to drop with mobile devices though.

Original post by rleah1998
Yeah another reason why I didn't get it; no point owning a defunct product and too expensive for something not particularly magnificent but useful if you have all apple products anyway, which I did not so that perk was irrelevant.

I was slightly drawn to the MBA and MBP when looking for a new laptop but I think it was just a brand. There are so many good ultraportable laptops and 2-in-1s out there now. The MBA is redundant, really. It's no longer mindbogglingly light and portable and uses standard CPUs, RAM and storage.
If it's literally sitting on your desk a good 300+ days of the year, get a 2012/3 model MacBook or MacBook Pro (or air... but if it's literally sitting on your desk, how portable does it need to be? 2.4kg is standard weight for a laptop that you don't move often, plus the Air has less power)

2015 model MacBook as a main desktop laptop is a joke. M5 processor and one port, which you will inevitably need to buy 3+ Apple specific dongles for... save your money. It's a fashion accessory.

It also goes without saying you can pick up a 15" laptop with an SSD for a lot cheaper than any apple product :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Another
If it's literally sitting on your desk a good 300+ days of the year, get a 2012/3 model MacBook or MacBook Pro (or air... but if it's literally sitting on your desk, how portable does it need to be? 2.4kg is standard weight for a laptop that you don't move often, plus the Air has less power)

2015 model MacBook as a main desktop laptop is a joke. M5 processor and one port, which you will inevitably need to buy 3+ Apple specific dongles for... save your money. It's a fashion accessory.

It also goes without saying you can pick up a 15" laptop with an SSD for a lot cheaper than any apple product :smile:

The thing with weight is that it can be as much as you want while it's on the desk but you just want it to be light for the sake of having the ability to carry it. I'd never get a laptop over 1.5kg now.

Agree with what's been said about the Macbook Retina.

I've said this way too many times on TSR and don't mean to gloat but I'm using a HP 820 as my desktop primary, linked to monitors and peripherals and the low voltage i5 is plenty for most tasks. An m5 or m5 would be lacking but an i5 from the MBA would be fine. Third party docking stations for the Macbook Air can be bought.
Sirs/Madam,

I would recommend a Apple Laptop such as a Mac Pro.
If you love Apple products then go with MacBook Pro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending