The Student Room Group

Starting my first job need help?!?!?

Hey guys, I'm 16 and I've just got my first PAID job, however.. my training is on the 6th of August next Saturday and my first shift is on the 7th. But, it's at co-op on a good wage for my age, however he's put me on the tills/checkouts scanning items and stuff, I'm SUPER scared because I'll be new, I might be slow which will annoy customers and I hate eye contact, don't like people much and I panick in huge crowds. I'm also worried that I'll mess up or not understand how to work on the checkouts.. any advice?
Original post by FudgeCakes
Hey guys, I'm 16 and I've just got my first PAID job, however.. my training is on the 6th of August next Saturday and my first shift is on the 7th. But, it's at co-op on a good wage for my age, however he's put me on the tills/checkouts scanning items and stuff, I'm SUPER scared because I'll be new, I might be slow which will annoy customers and I hate eye contact, don't like people much and I panick in huge crowds. I'm also worried that I'll mess up or not understand how to work on the checkouts.. any advice?

That's what the training is for.
They know you're a new person. Don't worry too much. Usually in jobs like those, your first x number of shifts won't be during peak hours

I started at the co-op 2 weeks ago and they taught me how to use the tills and they're pretty easy; I can deal with them really quickly now (but they're so slow :unimpressed:) You probably won't be alone on the tills a lot anyway since you need authorisation to sell painkillers/alcohol/lottery/cigs. None of the customers cared if I messed something up because they could see that I was trying and there's not a lot to mess up anyway. As long as you smile and be polite they don't care most of the time, especially since you're only 16 as well. You don't have to like them, just go through the process say hi, would you like a bag, would you like your receipt, thanks, bye :biggrin: I was doing it in my sleep the other night :colondollar: I just spent the first 3 hrs on a computer anyway learning about the company and the laws about selling alcohol and stuff so you probably won't even go on the tills straight away
Reply 4
Original post by rleah1998
I started at the co-op 2 weeks ago and they taught me how to use the tills and they're pretty easy; I can deal with them really quickly now (but they're so slow :unimpressed:) You probably won't be alone on the tills a lot anyway since you need authorisation to sell painkillers/alcohol/lottery/cigs. None of the customers cared if I messed something up because they could see that I was trying and there's not a lot to mess up anyway. As long as you smile and be polite they don't care most of the time, especially since you're only 16 as well. You don't have to like them, just go through the process say hi, would you like a bag, would you like your receipt, thanks, bye :biggrin: I was doing it in my sleep the other night :colondollar: I just spent the first 3 hrs on a computer anyway learning about the company and the laws about selling alcohol and stuff so you probably won't even go on the tills straight away

Thank you so much! I'm super nervous because it's my first job and I HATE messing up, I like getting things right on the first try. I'm very quick to give up and get in a huge panick about things, I don't like making people upset and I can't deal with my emotions well, so if I mess up and I'm slow then I'm scared that I'll just freak out. So you've learnt really quick then? When you first started was there someone by your side the whole time? Also, about the cigarettes and all that, what do you suggest I do if someone has those items, tell them that I can't serve them?
Thank you so much! I'm super nervous because it's my first job and I HATE messing up, I like getting things right on the first try. I'm very quick to give up and get in a huge panick about things, I don't like making people upset and I can't deal with my emotions well, so if I mess up and I'm slow then I'm scared that I'll just freak out. So you've learnt really quick then? When you first started was there someone by your side the whole time? Also, about the cigarettes and all that, what do you suggest I do if someone has those items, tell them that I can't serve them?
For the first 2 shifts I was never alone at the till and after that I could work everything apart from weird things that people never ask for. If that happens or people want age restricted things you just ask for help over the tannoy (they'll probably explain exactly what when you get there as it might be different in different places) and someone comes over and puts in their code for you or helps you out. I had to get someones code for the first week and I just talked to the customer saying i'm sorry i'm new I just need someone to enter their code for me. You can sell them you just need permission off someone who's over 18 so they'll just put their code in for you :smile:
Reply 6
Trust me, people won't get annoyed. When I started my last job they actually forget to till train me and just stuck me on a till (luckily it was similar to my job before that so I kinda got the gist, but still). You'd be surprised how patient people are; there's a misconception every customer is a bit of an ******* and unfortunately you will get a few but most are very sympathetic to new people. So don't worry about being slow.

It really is a confidence thing - I was really embarrassed to do it at first. I literally thought it was a big joke and someone was gonna laugh at me or something when I was told to ask someone for a bag but after a while it just becomes repetition. Seriously, give it 3 shifts and you'll have memorised everything you need to do inside out. Don't panic, we've all been there, and we've all made it!
Congratulations for getting a job. Don't worry you will be fine. The training and induction will help you with your confidence and it is really quite straightforward. Just be polite and helpful to the customers and you should be fine. Good luck.*
Reply 8
Original post by rleah1998
For the first 2 shifts I was never alone at the till and after that I could work everything apart from weird things that people never ask for. If that happens or people want age restricted things you just ask for help over the tannoy (they'll probably explain exactly what when you get there as it might be different in different places) and someone comes over and puts in their code for you or helps you out. I had to get someones code for the first week and I just talked to the customer saying i'm sorry i'm new I just need someone to enter their code for me. You can sell them you just need permission off someone who's over 18 so they'll just put their code in for you :smile:

Thank you so much! I really hope I'll get the hang of it, I'm honestly so nervous especially because I don't really like asking for help & what's a tannoy?
Reply 9
Original post by AdamCee
Trust me, people won't get annoyed. When I started my last job they actually forget to till train me and just stuck me on a till (luckily it was similar to my job before that so I kinda got the gist, but still). You'd be surprised how patient people are; there's a misconception every customer is a bit of an ******* and unfortunately you will get a few but most are very sympathetic to new people. So don't worry about being slow.

It really is a confidence thing - I was really embarrassed to do it at first. I literally thought it was a big joke and someone was gonna laugh at me or something when I was told to ask someone for a bag but after a while it just becomes repetition. Seriously, give it 3 shifts and you'll have memorised everything you need to do inside out. Don't panic, we've all been there, and we've all made it!

Thank you so much! I know that everyone who's has to start somewhere and everyone who currently works there, started off just like me. I don't usually like asking for help, but I'm hoping people will be reasonable and understand. You got lucky then, not being trained sucks but you got the hang of it! good job :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Simonthegreat
Congratulations for getting a job. Don't worry you will be fine. The training and induction will help you with your confidence and it is really quite straightforward. Just be polite and helpful to the customers and you should be fine. Good luck.*

Thank you! I appreciate that very much, I'm hoping it'll go well!
My first few jobs were in retail.

My best advice to you is -

- Let the customer know that you're new!! If they don't know why you're being slow/making mistakes they are less likely to be sympathetic but if you say "sorry I just started this week, I'm still learning" it's amazing how nice people can be. So tell them and save yourself any grief.

- Fake it till you make it. I am one of THE most socially awkward people on Earth and ridiculously shy but working in retail forced me to learn how to interact. I literally faked confidence until it became routine. You learn how to laugh off mistakes, make small talk etc and make it look natural and eventually it just feels routine. I know work in a graduate field and people would see me as professional/confident but they have no idea what it took to appear this way and underneath it - I'm really not that confident, I've just learned how to appear that way. I'm much less scared of people though.

- Don't take anything personally. At some point you will get a cranky customer. They're probably having a bad day - don't take it to heart. Retail helps you grow a thick skin. It might sometimes feel like a chore to be nice to an unpleasant person, but it's character building - a lesson in patience, humility and taking the higher ground. See it as an opportunity to grow.

- If you're unsure - ask someone. Ask questions even if they seem daft - we all have to start somewhere.

And finally - keep hydrated and if someone offers you a break - take it immediately.

Congrats and good luck, you'll be fine - we've all been through it and most decent people will want to help you and make it as easy as possible for you.
Reply 12
Shops have really high turnover, which means they will have a well practised training process to show you how to do everything. My biggest tip is to ask questions about anything your not sure about. Don't pretend to understand if you don't. Training is the perfect time to say "i don't know how to do this." Not a month later after you make a mistake.

Don't worry about customers. You'll probably have a 'training' badge to show you're new. And a polite "Sorry, I'm new." Is probably enough to diffuse any awkward situations.*

Some customers will always be difficult and unreasonable even if you do nothing wrong. The most important thing is that you stay polite and friendly. And working a till is pretty easy you'll pick it up in no time.

Congrats on the job and good luck!*
Reply 13
Original post by KatieBlogger
My first few jobs were in retail.

My best advice to you is -

- Let the customer know that you're new!! If they don't know why you're being slow/making mistakes they are less likely to be sympathetic but if you say "sorry I just started this week, I'm still learning" it's amazing how nice people can be. So tell them and save yourself any grief.

- Fake it till you make it. I am one of THE most socially awkward people on Earth and ridiculously shy but working in retail forced me to learn how to interact. I literally faked confidence until it became routine. You learn how to laugh off mistakes, make small talk etc and make it look natural and eventually it just feels routine. I know work in a graduate field and people would see me as professional/confident but they have no idea what it took to appear this way and underneath it - I'm really not that confident, I've just learned how to appear that way. I'm much less scared of people though.

- Don't take anything personally. At some point you will get a cranky customer. They're probably having a bad day - don't take it to heart. Retail helps you grow a thick skin. It might sometimes feel like a chore to be nice to an unpleasant person, but it's character building - a lesson in patience, humility and taking the higher ground. See it as an opportunity to grow.

- If you're unsure - ask someone. Ask questions even if they seem daft - we all have to start somewhere.

And finally - keep hydrated and if someone offers you a break - take it immediately.

Congrats and good luck, you'll be fine - we've all been through it and most decent people will want to help you and make it as easy as possible for you.

Hey! Thank you so much! I really appreciate that, I'm the type of person that will take literally everything to heart, my training is tomorrow now, not Saturday and my first shift is Sunday. Hopefully it'll go well! I'll try taking your advice, and hopefully I'll be just like you
Reply 14
Original post by Alenda
Shops have really high turnover, which means they will have a well practised training process to show you how to do everything. My biggest tip is to ask questions about anything your not sure about. Don't pretend to understand if you don't. Training is the perfect time to say "i don't know how to do this." Not a month later after you make a mistake.

Don't worry about customers. You'll probably have a 'training' badge to show you're new. And a polite "Sorry, I'm new." Is probably enough to diffuse any awkward situations.*

Some customers will always be difficult and unreasonable even if you do nothing wrong. The most important thing is that you stay polite and friendly. And working a till is pretty easy you'll pick it up in no time.

Congrats on the job and good luck!*

Hey! Thank you so much! I'll try my very best, hopefully I don't have a melt down!
Maybe go in a bit early they will train you anyway so you will be there with someone experienced.
Id have thought you woukld be stacking shelves and stuff rather than being on the till and you might just be asked to observe at first. They might try you out when its quiet. You will be fine, its just nerves.
Reply 16
Hey everyone! My manager contacted me he said that I'll be on computer based training, with someone the whole time. Then I'll be on tills, so hopefully I can do this !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending