The Student Room Group

Totalitarianism of Science?

I come across this often, in which science must be kept pure and those of highest thought may only be those who reject religion or keep some portion of themselves away from religion.

Comments have been heard, "if a religious person were to take part in an experiment they would corrupt basis for study and inject their opinion into the research."

Even in schools, courses are taught by those who wish to abandon religious view point. I find this to be a flaw, to restrict people from science or to say religious persons should not partake in scientific study.

Have you seen or hears such thought?
Do you agree or disagree?
Original post by da_nolo
I come across this often, in which science must be kept pure and those of highest thought may only be those who reject religion or keep some portion of themselves away from religion.

Comments have been heard, "if a religious person were to take part in an experiment they would corrupt basis for study and inject their opinion into the research."

Even in schools, courses are taught by those who wish to abandon religious view point. I find this to be a flaw, to restrict people from science or to say religious persons should not partake in scientific study.

Have you seen or hears such thought?
Do you agree or disagree?

It should be kept separate from religious views, they're entirely different (pretty much opposite) things. A scientist shouldn't care how their work sits with their religious views. Also I can't see how they'd 'inject' religious opinions in peer reviewed papers, and things like creationism shouldn't be taught in science classes but in RE it would be appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending