The Student Room Group

Full Time Job - What Now?

Hello,

Earlier in the month, solely to try my luck, I applied for a graduate position in London without a degree. Somehow, after an intensive interview process, I have since been offered (and accepted) the full time position. Despite stating the requirement of a degree and offering a graduate salary since it’s in the television industry, there is more scope for flexibility.

For years I have been geared towards university and currently hold an AAB offer. Now I have this job, circumstances have drastically changed so what do I do?

Ideally, I would like to defer my place on results day. Although I am unlikely to attend next year, I would like to have that option in place to have myself covered. My problem is that on results day I will be working in London, and cannot get it off.

Because of this, I won’t know my results until later in the evening; and I obviously do not want things to start moving regards accommodation and student finance. I am worried that if I defer now, they may withdraw their offer entirely, or simply not make me one. I want to wait until results day; get the grades; have a secured place but then defer it. That is my plan.

How do you all suggest I approach this? I’m feeling a bit lost and would appreciate any advice :smile:

Can I also just add that I was always very committed to going to university. This opportunity - whilst fantastic - has really altered my future, and so I am having to quickly adjust. I was excited for university but realistically, I cannot turn down a graduate employment offer that essentially propels me three years forwards without any debt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EddyEagal
Hello,

Earlier in the month, solely to try my luck, I applied for a graduate position in London without a degree. Somehow, after an intensive interview process, I have since been offered (and accepted) the full time position. Despite stating the requirement of a degree and offering a graduate salary since it’s in the television industry, there is more scope for flexibility.

For years I have been geared towards university and currently hold an AAB offer. Now I have this job, circumstances have drastically changed so what do I do?

Ideally, I would like to defer my place on results day. Although I am unlikely to attend next year, I would like to have that option in place to have myself covered. My problem is that on results day I will be working in London, and cannot get it off.

Because of this, I won’t know my results until later in the evening; and I obviously do not want things to start moving regards accommodation and student finance. I am worried that if I defer now, they may withdraw their offer entirely, or simply not make me one. I want to wait until results day; get the grades; have a secured place but then defer it. That is my plan.

How do you all suggest I approach this? I’m feeling a bit lost and would appreciate any advice :smile:

Can I also just add that I was always very committed to going to university. This opportunity - whilst fantastic - has really altered my future, and so I am having to quickly adjust. I was excited for university but realistically, I cannot turn down a graduate employment offer that essentially propels me three years forwards without any debt.

Defer now if that's what you want. The uni cannot withdraw their offer for this year, though they could decline to defer you. If you wait until results day they are less likely to accommodate your request as it makes it more difficult for them to fill your place (aka get the money).
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Defer now if that's what you want. The uni cannot withdraw their offer for this year, though they could decline to defer you. If you wait until results day they are less likely to accommodate your request as it makes it more difficult for them to fill your place (aka get the money).

But if I ask to defer now, they may simply not make me an offer come results day if I fall a little short of the grades. Whereas if I wait till results day and let them secure my place, they are likely to be more lenient in giving me a place if they know it's secured - and once this happens (a confirmed place), deferring may be easier.
But if I ask to defer now, they may simply not make me an offer come results day if I fall a little short of the grades. Whereas if I wait till results day and let them secure my place, they are likely to be more lenient in giving me a place if they know it's secured - and once this happens (a confirmed place), deferring may be easier.

That's possible, I suppose. In which case, just ring and ask to be deferred the day after you get your results. If they agree, that's fine; if they don't you can withdraw and reapply if you want for 2017.
Reply 4

No. They are no more or less "lenient" if you defer. If you want to defer, tell them now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I were you I'd just cancel your application all together as there's no point deferring if you're unlikely to go as you're just gonna have to go through all the cancelling again.

If you decide you want to go to uni later on then reapply next year, if not enjoy your career.
Reply 6
Original post by JordanC55
If I were you I'd just cancel your application all together as there's no point deferring if you're unlikely to go as you're just gonna have to go through all the cancelling again.

If you decide you want to go to uni later on then reapply next year, if not enjoy your career.

Yes, if you got a uni offer without the work experience, you're just as likely if not more to get one with some work experience under your belt, if after a year or so of work you decide uni would really add something. But you have a graduate job with no graduate debt, I bet you'll never bother with uni now!
Hello,

UCAS updates at 9AM. You'll know which uni you'll be going to (if you get either choices), but you won't be knowing your grades.

Get someone on the behalf of yourself to collect your results and tell you either over the phone or text maybe?

Or if possible, phone in the school and have a member of staff tell you?
Reply 8
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
UCAS updates at 9AM.

Actually UCAS updates at 8am. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Actually UCAS updates at 8am. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even better.

I still remember pulling an all-nighter when I awaited my A-level/Uni Results!

Quick Reply

Latest