Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

IELTS Requirements

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi guys, my gf is applying for an MA at various universities in London (or near it). They all requires 6.5-7.0 in the IELTS test (the score of each components depends on the university).

She currently has 6.0 and needs to retake the test (all the offers are conditional to that). How stricted universities are on the IELTS test? And by that I'm specifically referring to the score of each component.

I've studied in England as well and I know the IELTS test doesn't really tell you how well you can speak, write and listen in English. It just tell you how good you're at doing the IELTS test.

I hope my gf she will be able to get the score she needs (I was in the same position a couple of years ago), but what if she won't?

If the university requires 6.5 in total and in each component as well, does she still have a chance to enter the course with, let's say, a 6.5 in total but not in al the components?

Thank you so much!

Depends on the uni but they're pretty strict about it. At most I would say they may be fine if it's only off by 0.5 on only one section. But even then they can refuse it because it wasn't high enough.

Well, unfortunately that's pretty sad, since how much you score in a test like the IELTS mainly depends on how much focused you were that day. It doesn't say anything about your proficiency (the test itself doesn't, let alone the fact that you need to perform well in THAT particular day).

Am I the only one that finds this thing really outdated?

My gf knows English better than I did when I was starting out. I had excellent results in university and I find really odd that she still doesn't know if she can get in some uni due to an English test.

You also require certain scores for your visa application. Like it or not it's needs doing so let her get on with it.

If the course is popular and the adcomms can fill all places with equal or stronger candidates, the uni will not blink and admit your gf. on the other hand, she may be admitted with 0.5 lower score if the course is not full. She may have to attend classes at the English Writing Centre for internationals students (2 hrs a week) as a compromise.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.