Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is your broadband connected direct or with wifi to your PC?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

(Original post by Galaxie501)
    All my adapters are actually plugged into an extension socket and it still works. Ideally you would plug them directly into a wall socket though. So if you have a free wall socket you can plug it in there and then just use a long LAN cable to connect your PC to the Adapter / PowerLAN.

You wont really lose a lot data with LAN cables, assuming your're not using some silly 50 meter setup. I think my LAN cable is 10 meters long and I still get good results, considering my whole internet setup is pretty slow overall. A 6 mb/s line in 2016 is pretty bad.

I think the majority of those adapters are "plug and play" style setups, without requiring you to configure your router information, but im not 100% either. Be sure to follow the instructions on the box though, dont count on me. Just trying to give some tips.

Just glad if I can help.
    Thanks you've been a great help

Yeah, thats one of those PowerLAN devices. I personally use a setup from Devolo.

Is it faster than conventional Wifi? Not automatically. Your internet is jsut as fast as the contract with your provider says. However, the further you get away from the router, the worse the Wifi signal gets, so yes, Wifi does get slower the further you are away from the router. Metallic doorframes, walls and microwaves can really cut down your Wifi signal to non-existance. That can still happen when using LAN or PowerLAN, but the impact is significantly less noticable. If you play any sort of online games then LAN or PowerLAN really give you an advantage. Nothing worse than playing with high ping.

Im really not a networking expert, and it can vary depending on the manufacturer so dont count on me. The basic idea is this:
    1) You need at least 2 powerline adapters (such as you linked them).
    2) The first adapter goes into a socket near your router. You connect the router with Adapter 1 using a LAN cable. Thats a mandatory setup. It will not work without this.
    3) The second adapter however, you can place it wherever you want. Place it in a socket near your computer and connect your computer with the second adapter using a LAN cable. (Just like with the 1st one).
    4) The 2 PowerLAN adapters then communicate with eachother and send the packets from the router to your PC across a the low frequency power cables that are found in every home.

Note: The maximum theoretical speed of these PowerLAN adapters is between 500 and 1200 mb/s, which is about 5x or 12x more than the fastest internet lines. I think Ive seen a 300 mb/s contract once here in Germany, but it doesnt get any faster than this. I only have a 16 mb/s line here, which is quite bad.

That means that it will be another 10-20 years until internet providers even offer the bandwidth that would even closely max out the maximum capability of these PowerLAN adapters.

Anway, if you pay for a 16 mb/s line then your connection is only 16 mb/s fast, regardless of the theoreticall speed of these adapters.

I dont know how much you know about all that stuff, so no pun intended if you know all that already. :badger:
    plez leaf a rep : ' )
    Repped because even if you aren't an expert everything you said was spot on.

(Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Thanks you've been a great help
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Repped because even if you aren't an expert everything you said was spot on.

Thats pretty much right. If you can get a good Wifi signal then there is no real need for a PowerLAN setup. Its only advantagious if you're far from the router and you cant lay LAN cables --- that is the case with me.
    Honestly even if you could route a LAN cable sometimes it's just much nicer to use alternatives like a powerline. They're super easy to use and don't require drilling holes for cables (which is super important if you don't even own the house and aren't allowed to make changes), you don't have a cabling mess to deal with if you add multiple adapters (vs running ethernet to multiple rooms) and the short term cost is cheaper (vs opening walls, fitting tubing and cabling and so on). Even if you're only a few metres away and it's a straight through run not everyone wants trailing cables or holes in walls.

They're an excellent short term alternative to traditional ethernet since they make use of existing cabling.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.