The Student Room Group

(Simple?) Maths Brain Teaser

So in the midst of my lovely holiday I almost forgot that I wanted to sign up for a GCSE enrichment programme at Kings College Maths School. I'm going to Year 11 this september.

The leaflet I was given had a sneaky brain teaser thing which I just had to look at. Now I can't solve it and it's giving me grief. So the problem is:

"Nancy has a wooden cube. She paints two faces of the cube red, two faces green, and the last two faces yellow. Nancy notices that of the cube’s 12 edges, the number of edges which border two different colours is odd. Is this enough information to determine how the cube was painted?"

Might be because I'm tired, or just stupid. Thanks in advance though.
Reply 1
Original post by Gabzinc
So in the midst of my lovely holiday I almost forgot that I wanted to sign up for a GCSE enrichment programme at Kings College Maths School. I'm going to Year 11 this september.

The leaflet I was given had a sneaky brain teaser thing which I just had to look at. Now I can't solve it and it's giving me grief. So the problem is:

"Nancy has a wooden cube. She paints two faces of the cube red, two faces green, and the last two faces yellow. Nancy notices that of the cube’s 12 edges, the number of edges which border two different colours is odd. Is this enough information to determine how the cube was painted?"

Might be because I'm tired, or just stupid. Thanks in advance though.

If the number of edges which border two different colours is odd, so is the number of edges which border two of the same colour (since 12 is even and odd + odd = even) Does that help?

Quick Reply

Latest