The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Hello Everyone

Hi

My name is Chris, I'm looking at starting at Kent in september to study politics through clearing, have spoken to the department and have been told that my chances of getting a place are good.

I've had a rough few months tbh ... I was at Lancaster but dropped out due to ill health (what i now know is depression .. i had no idea at the time) for which I am now being treated.

I currently have a place confirmed at Leeds but am considering being asked to be released from it despite it being a good uni as I really don't think the city life is for me.

I therefore have a few questions about University of Kent and I'm hoping you'll be able to give me some insight into whether you think Kent will suit me.

I don't like clubbing.
I like traditional pubs serving proper beer.
I enjoy the countryside.
I like wide open green spaces.
I like historical buildings and architecture.
I also like a good night out pub crawling / getting drunk etc:smile:

I know it's not alot to go on lol ... but are there people like that at Kent?

Also about the campus ... now i found the lancaster one depressing and horrible tbh ... is Kent's campus more open and green than lancasters?

Also what is there to do on campus of an evening ... or in the day for that matter!

The town itself ... what is there to do say instead of going to the pub, is there a theatre? or cinema etc?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Chris
Kent is very green with plenty of traditional pubs throughout canterbury, the campus attracted me to the university because it is so fresh and relaxing, yet theres still quite a bit to do. On campus theres a couple of sport centre's a bar, cinema, pub near parkwood so theres a fair bit. It definetly sounds like what you could be after.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Kent sounds perfect for you as there is only one nightclub on campus but supposedly one pub for each day of the year in Canterbury haha! so you'll be sorted.
the campus is over 300acres so theres loads of green land which covers your countryside and open green spaces. Canterbury is pure history, theres real cobbled streets and litle old buildingg not to mention the fit Canterbury Cathedral. seriously you will love Kent.

I've been down tice now ones for open day and once for interview when i stayed overnight fell in love with the place, seriously fits what you are looking for to a tee.
Reply 3
i dont go to the uni..but i live in kent and its lovely..theres loads to do
:P
I don't like clubbing - good, because there's two clubs here - one on campus, which is pretty quiet (except inside, of course), and one right over the other side of town.

I like traditional pubs serving proper beer - Then you are absolutely spoiled for choice. Canterbury is pub heaven. Check out Simple Simon's and Casey's.

I enjoy the countryside - the unis isn't technically in the city - it's up on a hill, overlooking the centre and Cathedral. The countryside almost surrounds the campus, and there are some lovely walks nearby.

I like wide open green spaces - the entire University, as said above, is set in acres of park land!
I like historical buildings and architecture - The Cathedral is a given, but the fantastic thing about Canterbury is that so much of it is preserved. A lot of the city wall still stands, and there are plaques aplenty around town, explaining the significance of certain buildings and churches, places where they and the old city gates used to stand. At the moment I'm living in a 400 year old former pub, which is attached to the city wall and used to be a site of one of the old city gates.

I also like a good night out pub crawling / getting drunk etc - the hundreds of Canterbury pubs will suit you well with that! The campus is very relaxed, you can get in at any time (provided you remembered your key).

Any other questions, don't hesitate to message me!

Latest