The Student Room Group

literally have no idea what I’m doing with my PS

Poll

know what you’re doing with your PS ?

told myself at the beginning of the hols, i would draft my PS every Sunday.

Have all the books, and all the information and volunteering stuff, but have no idea how to piece it together and sell myself coherently lol

stumbling at the first hurdle: ‘why do you want to study said subject’ , trying to show I have something a little different… I don’t

funny cos I’m applying for English

Anyone else in the same boat?
well for starters, when i wrote mine for last year, i knew i wanted to do my subject because its the only thing i was passionate about in school throughout my whole education:/
Original post by unknowntsr

Have all the books, and all the information and volunteering stuff, but have no idea how to piece it together and sell myself coherently lol

stumbling at the first hurdle: ‘why do you want to study said subject’ , trying to show I have something a little different… I don’t

Have you tried looking at PS's online for some inspiratiom? I think theres ones on here as well which have been given a green, yellow or red grade. This might help give you some inspiration. Just relax and write whatever you can think of at first. Just remember its a draft!
Reply 3

This might help to get you started.

It doesn't have to be perfect first time. Just write ideas down as they come to you - it doesn't matter in what order. You'll be able to bring it together into a coherent whole eventually. It's looking at the blank sheet of paper that's the killer :tongue:
There's a template on the UCAS website which is really useful: https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/ucas-personal-statement-worksheet.pdf

If you work through that you'll end up with a good first draft.

Allow me to offer my sticky:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516
General template:

Why you want to study it
- Authors or books you love
- Passion for writing/reading
- Examples of stuff you wrote/read and why you enjoyed writing/reading
- Talk passionately about your favourite author
- Speeches, conventions etc you've been to
What makes you qualified to study it
- Grades
- Work experience
- Personal qualities (hard working etc)
Hobbies/interests/other relevant skills or experience (short)
Final closing statement to sum up

Edit: also career aspirations and what you're looking to get out of the degree as well :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Haha I too applied for English and just couldn't get my wording right. In the end I took my last draft to my crazy English teacher and said "can you make it sound less like a five year old wrote it?" and he replaced a bunch of words with fancier sounding words

Hi unknowntsr,

Great idea to start early and a little at a time.
I would recommend to start with just brainstorming by jolting down just words, ideas, even feelings about the subject. Don't try straight away to write long, elaborate sentences.
Once you've done that and you are happy with all the ideas you would like to include, try and plan you PS (Introduction, academic discussion, extra-curricular activities, conclusion).
This way it will be easier to put your thoughts on paper and write a great PS.

You might want to check out this video which wil give you great ideas on how to handle the writing of you PS.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :wink:

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending