The Student Room Group

Advice on how to revise for french and maths??

Over the summer, I want to try and revise over a few things because i'm not going out on holiday or anything so might as well get a head start. First of all,it's been two weeks sine we broke off and I've done nothing-literally. So far, I've re read harry potter, caught up on my shows and well that's it. When I do eventually find the motivation to revise, I wanted to know the best way to effectively study (well i'm not going to proper hardcore revise or anything tbh).

So any tips?
Especially for french because it's not my first language and well it's my weakest subject.

Btw I'll be going to year 11 in September

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
For maths: get some textbook workbooks and go through it doing the questions to make sure you fully understand them. Do lots of past papers to get used to the phrasing and there's some styles of questions that come up regularly
Reply 2
Original post by Fluffpuffle
For maths: get some textbook workbooks and go through it doing the questions to make sure you fully understand them. Do lots of past papers to get used to the phrasing and there's some styles of questions that come up regularly

yeah, okay, thanks. I bought a textbook a few months ago and since then i haven't even touched it once.
Btw are you doing your GCSEs?
Reply 3
Any tips for French?
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
My French teacher made us lists of 100 words which frequently come up. I also really recommend Memrise to just pin down the vocab, once you've got the vocab you're already 3/4 of the way to an A*. : https://www.memrise.com/
I found this so helpful.
As for maths I have never struggled doing maths so I can't really comment but from what I've heard just practice papers again and again. There are also some websites where you can revise the topics you struggle with.
Reply 6
For Maths, I definitely recommend MathsBuster by CGP (the ones who create those notorious revision guides). It cost like £13.99 or something but it was honestly the best purchase of my life. It lasts forever (it's not like a subscription/membership), and it gives you everything you need to pass the upcoming GCSEs in 2017.
For French, I recommend using Memrise and Quizlet. I've been studying 100 words a day from Memrise, it's such a good website!
Original post by Harrykel
For Maths, I definitely recommend MathsBuster by CGP (the ones who create those notorious revision guides). It cost like £13.99 or something but it was honestly the best purchase of my life. It lasts forever (it's not like a subscription/membership), and it gives you everything you need to pass the upcoming GCSEs in 2017.
For French, I recommend using Memrise and Quizlet. I've been studying 100 words a day from Memrise, it's such a good website!

How does the word notorious fit into your sentence? Just wondering...
Learn some tricky words, but dont stress about learning every word on a big long vocab list! As someone else said, most words will be similar to English anyway.
Learn connectives and adjectives in French (like souvent, dernier and prochaine, sans, en plus/non plus)... I find that in the listening exams, I can usually work out what they're talking about but I get tripped up by the little words which can completely change the meaning of a sentence, like negatives.

In the listening papers you can usually tell from tone of voice whether the speaker is being positive or negative, so that can help in opinion questions.

And in your reading time at the start of the exam, go through the questions and jot down vocab words on French that you'll expect to come up (E.g. voiture and avion for a question about transport). Then youll be prepared for the basics and will be able to focus on the rest of the question.

In reading exams start by translating words or phrases in a paragraph that you know then fill in the blanks by taking educated guesses.
Hope this was helpful. :goodluck:

Quick Reply

Latest