The Student Room Group

Anyone have a Zoology Degree? Or currently studying Zoology?

I am trying to make my mind up whether to go to university or not. I just wanted to know, if anyone out there has a zoology degree (or is currently studying one), what did you do after uni, or what are you planning to do? Do you regret getting the degree/are you glad you chose it? Would love to hear everything you have to say about it.

If I decided not to get a degree in zoology, I would probably spend a year volunteering around the world with different wildlife organisations, as I've always been interested in wildlife rehabilitation (its what I would like to go into if I studied zoology at uni).
My wife did zoology. She enjoyed it. But when you graduate you either get very lucky and land a relevant job that doesn't pay much or else join the pool of grads that did an "enjoyable" degree. 13 years after graduation she still owes £10k+ and that is the old loans.

Good Luck in your decision
Reply 2
Go on the university forum - there's people who did zoology and have told their experiences
Original post by lll333
I am trying to make my mind up whether to go to university or not. I just wanted to know, if anyone out there has a zoology degree (or is currently studying one), what did you do after uni, or what are you planning to do? Do you regret getting the degree/are you glad you chose it? Would love to hear everything you have to say about it.

If I decided not to get a degree in zoology, I would probably spend a year volunteering around the world with different wildlife organisations, as I've always been interested in wildlife rehabilitation (its what I would like to go into if I studied zoology at uni).

Hey! I've literally just graduated from BSc (Hons) Zoology at Bristol. I genuinely want to work in Zoology (although there are plenty other career paths you can take with a strong science degree from a good uni).

At the moment I'm working an office job to earn some money, but in a few months I'm going to spend the winter as a Seal Care Volunteer at a rescue and rehabilitation centre in the Netherlands. After that I'll have a few months off to try and find some paid work again, before going to another voluntary role as a Research Assistant for Latin American Sea Turtles (LAST) in Costa Rica. So you can tell that doing a degree isn't an immediate pathway to paid work in any sense. Even if you do go to university, it might be worth taking a year out to travel and get that experience - odds are, you will have to volunteer before anyone offers you a paid job, whether that's before, during, or after university.

Do I regret it? Not even slightly. I loved uni and I'm really excited about trying to take this path, even though it can be disheartening and frustrating. At some point I may have to give up and apply for proper salaried jobs, but these also exist! They often don't involve working directly with animals, but in the environmental sector or in ecotourism, both of which could still be very rewarding and cool.

I've just starting a blog about all of this, both for myself and in case it can help anyone else in my position or considering a Zoology degree (link in the signature if you're interested).

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending