The Student Room Group

Will Unis look at AS results for 2017 entry?

I'm in a small dilemma with the fact that I didn't do that well in my AS Chemistry, despite getting constantly good grades in practice papers and stuff. So I just wanted to know if universities (I'm looking to study pharmacy) will look at my AS grade and make a judgement on whether to accept me based on that, or whether they will focus on my actual A level grade that I'll get next year.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Since your AS's are your most recent exams they will be the main thing used to make decisions on applicants, and chemistry is very important for pharmacy. I'd advise retaking AS exams if they're bad, and making it clear to the unis you apply to that you're retaking. If you've performed well through the year your teacher should be able to back you up and let unis know that you do have the potential, and that you can get much higher grades for the A-level overall.
most universities are going to look on predicted a -level resylts however these are usually based of your a s grades so you either find some way to get excellent predicted grades or retake as the person above said

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope they do base their decisions on them and don't totally disregard AS results. I worked really hard on my AS-levels after a dismal GCSE performance, and I'll be distraught if it was all for nothing.
I think most schools do base it on a s but probly ask your teachwrs on results day what the predictions may be as thats what im going to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aishadee
I'm in a small dilemma with the fact that I didn't do that well in my AS Chemistry, despite getting constantly good grades in practice papers and stuff. So I just wanted to know if universities (I'm looking to study pharmacy) will look at my AS grade and make a judgement on whether to accept me based on that, or whether they will focus on my actual A level grade that I'll get next year.

Thanks

They'll look at everything they have available. Predicted grades are usually the first filter with AS grades if they're available used as a sanity check.

One poor grade isn't likely to have a big impact unless it means your predicted grades are very low or your referee doesn't explain why they expect you to perform much better at A level.
Reply 6
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
most universities are going to look on predicted a -level resylts however these are usually based of your a s grades so you either find some way to get excellent predicted grades or retake as the person above said

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think my predicted grades will remain at an A grade, because my results had been quite consistent B grades all up until the actual exam. So I'm glad they'll look at that
yeah also call the universities to make sure or email them or something and yes knowing your exact predicted grades though would be good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
They'll look at everything they have available. Predicted grades are usually the first filter with AS grades if they're available used as a sanity check.

One poor grade isn't likely to have a big impact unless it means your predicted grades are very low or your referee doesn't explain why they expect you to perform much better at A level.

So say my AS results were AABD, (the D being chemistry haha) would it still affect the way they view my application? And my predicted grade is still an A grade, it was just that exam that I flunked!
So say my AS results were AABD, (the D being chemistry haha) would it still affect the way they view my application? And my predicted grade is still an A grade, it was just that exam that I flunked!

If your referee gives you a prediction of an A after a D at AS level then that will need to be explained in the reference comments.

was it AQA chemistry, because I honestly feel the same way
Reply 11
Original post by rumana101
was it AQA chemistry, because I honestly feel the same way
Yeah, it was. That exam was disgusting, like it surprised me how bad I felt after taking it
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
If your referee gives you a prediction of an A after a D at AS level then that will need to be explained in the reference comments.
Okay, thank you very much for your help
I feel the exact same, I want to study chemistry but I have done so bad in that exam that I fear no one will except me, even though I had been getting A's all year 😁
that exam sucked especially the first paper ut was terrible

Posted from TSR Mobile
The grade boundaries for each grade should be reasonably low though hopefully!😬
I don't understand why everyone is saying to retake AS Levels when they don't even count towards the full A Level, lol.

You'd probably have to somehow convince your teachers to give you a really good predicted grade and a good reference clearly explaining why they predicted you so highly. Strong GCSE grades could probably help you out there.

You also have the other option of taking a gap year and applying with your real A Level grades the following application cycle, if you really did flunk your exam and can't convince your teachers.

Spoiler

From what I've read most uni's wont be looking at the AS grades this year, just your predicted grades and the other parts of your application e.g GCSE, statement ect. So make sure you've got good predicted grades and you should be fine.
Reply 18
Original post by Anna1909
I feel the exact same, I want to study chemistry but I have done so bad in that exam that I fear no one will except me, even though I had been getting A's all year 😁
That is my situation exactly as well!
Reply 19
Original post by HopelessMedic
From what I've read most uni's wont be looking at the AS grades this year, just your predicted grades and the other parts of your application e.g GCSE, statement ect. So make sure you've got good predicted grades and you should be fine.
Thank youu

Quick Reply

Latest