The Student Room Group

How much do weddings cost

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

I'm going to keep this short and simple, I'm 21 and a Muslim, my parents insisting on me getting married and moving out which I do not have a problem with. The issue is they are telling me that I should be expecting to spend a minimum of £30k which I absolutely cannot provide as I go to university and have an okayish job which allows me to pay and my bills etc.

So how much do weddings actually cost? And what is the lowest you have seen?

Are you a guy/girl? Why the fk would want to get married, especially at a young age since people in their late teens/early 20s change/evolve so much as a person that they aren't the same person in a few years later. :rolleyes:
Is marriage what you want at such a young age?

I can understand with your parents wanting you to move out but 'married' at 21? :wtf: Have you even found someone ... not some random hill billy or a person you think you can 'put up with' for the rest of your live but rather a person you can't live without? ::hmmm:

Also, surely you'd want to save any money from university to help towards moving out once you graduate? There is no upper limit on weddings but the cheapest is just filling out the registration forms tops. :shakecane:

+ What happens if your early marriage ends up in a divorce? :rip: to your money invested for the wedding aswell as
the time into that person.

I believe the big decisions in life shouldn't be rushed. :moon:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

I'm going to keep this short and simple, I'm 21 and a Muslim, my parents insisting on me getting married and moving out which I do not have a problem with. The issue is they are telling me that I should be expecting to spend a minimum of £30k which I absolutely cannot provide as I go to university and have an okayish job which allows me to pay and my bills etc.

So how much do weddings actually cost? And what is the lowest you have seen?

Okay I'm only suggesting this but explain to your parents that in islam its haram to have an extravagant wedding (I think, research it carefully). Also tell them you only want to invite a couple of people and want to keep the wedding as simple as possible. This is what I don't like about some muslim communities, they spend all this money to keep up with the norm and so that they are not ridiculed for having a small budget wedding. Inshallah it goes well for you. All the best :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by mercuryman
Desi wedding functions on average cost £40k-£100k.

We're pricey motherf*#ckers. That's why we're all convinced to be doctors starting from the time we're conceived in our mothers.

Well entire marriage system in Asia is based on marrying as rich as you can, rather than any notion of love or romance and to be frank, I think that makes most sense.

Fundamentally marriage is just a transaction between two parties, who agree to trade assets that the other values - the women values the man's wealth, and the man values the woman's youth & beauty for offspring, and potentially also her wealth (most likely her family's/father's wealth).
Reply 23
your parents are telling you to get married even though you are not ready, you are not working AND to top it all off you'd be expected to pay for everything too??

how weird. also why can't you just be man enough to say no to them? move out by all means but don't get married if you are not ready.
Reply 24
It depends on number of people and how lavish you want to be. I don't know about Muslim wedding tradition but to me £30k sounds MONSTROUS. I reckon you could have a good bash for a third of that including honeymoon. Just avoid exorbitant rings (what's the point), over priced venues and totally unnecessary frills. Good luck.
We plan to spend 4.5k (going to do my best to get it cheaper though) but the registray office would cost less than £500. 30k is higher than average (according to wedding magazines I ve read)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending