The Student Room Group

Effects of detentions on uni/getting a job?

I have had 7 detentions between year 9 and 10 mostly due to lateness or leaving my book at home (I think 2 were cancelled by my parents so about 5). Do detentions affect your chances of getting a good uni or getting a job as I have heard they have an effect.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dannie.12
I came to the UK in 2014 and started secondary school in the UK in Year 9 and have had 7 detentions between year 9 and 10 mostly due to lateness or leaving my book at home (I think 2 were cancelled by my parents so about 5). Do detentions affect your chances of getting a good uni or getting a job as I have heard they have an effect.

No they have absolutely no affect at all on your uni application or job application providing you choose who you get your references from wisely, so dont pick the teachers who dislike you or give you loads of detentions pick another one.
Trust me. SATs detentions late records do not affect your university application whatsoever ! I promise. The only thing that matters is performance in GCSEs and A levels
Original post by dannie.12
I came to the UK in 2014 and started secondary school in the UK in Year 9 and have had 7 detentions between year 9 and 10 mostly due to lateness or leaving my book at home (I think 2 were cancelled by my parents so about 5). Do detentions affect your chances of getting a good uni or getting a job as I have heard they have an effect.

Someones lied to you even being suspended has very little to no effect if you were caught with a weapon or some other crime that would but a dtention no i had one almost every week in year 8 and I got in to uni and have had jobs no you'll be fine.
No, they have zero effect, they don't go 'on record'. The only problem you may have is if your head of year writes you a luke-warm reference (or refuses) due to your behavior. You need a glowing reference - not something I imagine you could get if you found yourself in detention 24/7 - just something to bear in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest