The Student Room Group

Future A level exams

Hey, I'm really confused and my school hasn't really made it that clear.
In regards to Year 12 AS exams I have heard they are no more and instead it is all sat at the end of year 13, so AS and A2?

But then if you check provisional A level 2017 exam timetables it says AS on some exams which throws me?

Am I sitting exams or not?

I want to study business, Spanish, economics and maths however I'm not sure on business or Spanish but I don't really have a good alternative.

Also

I may substitute business and spanish with biology and chemistry as I find it INTERESTING however I may not be a straight A* student, is this wise?
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it depends on what your school has chosen. As far as I'm aware, if you are sitting AS exams for reformed subjects, the marks don't count towards your final A Level if you continue it in Year 13? I think that in that case, the AS is a separate qualification to the A Level.

Certain subjects haven't been reformed yet, like Maths.
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology next year and my school hasn't chosen to do AS exams for the reformed subjects. This means that in June 2017 I'll be sitting 6 actual AS exams for Maths/FM, and then what our school has called 'predicted grade exams' for Bio and Chem. In June 2018, I'll sit the other 6 exams for Maths/FM, and then 3 exams each for Bio/Chem which will cover all of the content over the 2 years. I think :lol:

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense - sorry if I made it more confusing :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by Ollie1999
Hey, I'm really confused and my school hasn't really made it that clear.
In regards to Year 12 AS exams I have heard they are no more and instead it is all sat at the end of year 13, so AS and A2?

But then if you check provisional A level 2017 exam timetables it says AS on some exams which throws me?

Am I sitting exams or not?

I want to study business, Spanish, economics and maths however I'm not sure on business or Spanish but I don't really have a good alternative.

A levels are undergoing a process of update and reform. The process and timeline are different in England, in Wales and in Northern Ireland. International A levels are not affected by the changes.
As subjects change to new specifications they become linear qualifications where the two years of study are tested in exams at the end of the course. This does not mean AS disappears. AS is still available as a standalone qualification but the results gained do not count towards the final A level grade. Some schools enter all students for these new AS exams, some only enter people who will not go on to take the full A level. If you don't take AS at the end of year 12 you can be sure there will be internal exams that will decide whether you can continue into year 13 and what predicted grade you will get for university applications.
Not all subjects have change to new specifications yet. For example, the new maths specification does not start teaching until September 2017.
Assuming you are in England, the timeline for subject changes is given here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-the-facts-gcse-and-a-level-reform/get-the-facts-as-and-a-level-reform

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest