The Student Room Group

Preparing for sixth form subjects

I'm hoping to take English literature, French, Government and Politics and History I really want to be prepared for them when I start in September. I'd rather be ahead than behind. Any advice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FrenchObsessed
I'm hoping to take English literature, French, Government and Politics and French. I really want to be prepared for them when I start in September. I'd rather be ahead than behind. Any advice?

Spoiler

For French (just finished AQA AS :wink: ) (only one of your subjects I do :lol: sorry) try and get a head start on vocab (check out memrise and quizlet - make a free account and then PM me and I can give u some good links/my username so you can use some of my resources I've made already), reading online newspapers www.lemonde.fr and www.lefigaro.fr and watch french films too! :biggrin:
:france:
feel free to ask away as well, do u know which exam board you'll be on?Hopefully that helped u,
Cheese :france:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Spoiler

For French (just finished AQA AS :wink: ) (only one of your subjects I do :lol: sorry) try and get a head start on vocab (check out memrise and quizlet - make a free account and then PM me and I can give u some good links/my username so you can use some of my resources I've made already), reading online newspapers www.lemonde.fr and www.lefigaro.fr and watch french films too! :biggrin:
:france:
feel free to ask away as well, do u know which exam board you'll be on?Hopefully that helped u,
Cheese :france:

Haha, sorry I've changed my mistake now. Thanks for the advice! I've heard of memrise and quizlet but never used them. I listen to French radio. Do you think this will help? Also, I'm AQA.
I'm hoping to take English literature, French, Government and Politics and French. I really want to be prepared for them when I start in September. I'd rather be ahead than behind. Any advice?

I really wouldn't worry about getting ahead - nobody that I know did anything notable to prepare in the summer before A levels and everyone coped fine; there's an initial learning curve and drop in grades, but everything is fine within weeks. If you really want to do stuff, find out what books you'll be covering in Lit and read them so you'll save time once school starts. For Politics, keep up with current affairs (a lot of the exam is current examples, rather than stuff from the textbook) and ensure you know the basics of the government system. I didn't take French, but going over key vocabulary might be useful, I guess?

It's definitely worth finding out your specific exam boards so you're not covering the wrong thing. But everyone will be in the same position in September - don't worry about what you do, or don't do, in the summer.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I really wouldn't worry about getting ahead - nobody that I know did anything notable to prepare in the summer before A levels and everyone coped fine; there's an initial learning curve and drop in grades, but everything is fine within weeks. If you really want to do stuff, find out what books you'll be covering in Lit and read them so you'll save time once school starts. For Politics, keep up with current affairs (a lot of the exam is current examples, rather than stuff from the textbook) and ensure you know the basics of the government system. I didn't take French, but going over key vocabulary might be useful, I guess?

It's definitely worth finding out your specific exam boards so you're not covering the wrong thing. But everyone will be in the same position in September - don't worry about what you do, or don't do, in the summer.

Thank you for your help
Haha, sorry I've changed my mistake now. Thanks for the advice! I've heard of memrise and quizlet but never used them. I listen to French radio. Do you think this will help? Also, I'm AQA.

deffo get into memrise and quizlet, your AS class might be forced to get an account like we were :lol: but I already had one from GCSE :tongue:
YEAH, keep it up, but reading in french is also advised because you get to see what's happening in the country of interest and its especially useful for A2 :wink:
YASS AQA buddies :five: basically I am now at your disposal! When u get your memrise and quizlet accounts do drop me a PM and I will link you to vocab courses on memrise/sets on quizlet I have already made/used and would reccomend :france:
anything else :tongue:
Reply 6
You may want to start packing your bag for sixth form too - a 2 litre bottle of vodka and 1kg of Coke should cover the first week 🙄
Original post by nhm
you may want to start packing your bag for sixth form too - a 2 litre bottle of vodka and 1kg of coke should cover the first week 🙄

looooool
i'm done
Original post by doctorwhofan98

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest