The Student Room Group

Want to go to my insurance instead of my firm choice

Okay so it's basically been a while since I accepted my offers for university, and in that time I've realised that, due to the way the course is taught, I'd prefer to go to my insurance choice rather than my firm, and I didn't know if it was possible to make my insurance choice my firm? Or whether I should simply wait until results day and reject my firm choice (if I get the grades), and if this is easier, how I would go about doing this.
Thanks! :smile:
Original post by restless5oul
Okay so it's basically been a while since I accepted my offers for university, and in that time I've realised that, due to the way the course is taught, I'd prefer to go to my insurance choice rather than my firm, and I didn't know if it was possible to make my insurance choice my firm? Or whether I should simply wait until results day and reject my firm choice (if I get the grades), and if this is easier, how I would go about doing this.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=66713758&postcount=3

Read the post in the link above - it should answer your question :h:

Let me know :smile:
Don't wait until results day, contact UCAS as soon as possible. My friend did this and it worked out fine! But you do need to let UCAS know before results day.

It is too late to do this and have it show on Track before results day (UCAS have locked down the ability of universities to be swapped now - if you'd tried last week you would have been able to do this with minimal hassle)

Talk to your insurance and check that they'd be happy to take you as firm choice. If they're happy speak to your firm and explain the situation.

Ideally you'll need to get your firm and insurance choices to speak to each other to ensure this happens.

Neither university can actually do anything until results day now so there are 2 ways it could be managed on results day if both universities cooperate.

If you meet your firm offer your firm has to accept you and then place you into Clearing - you'll then be able to add your insurance as a Clearing choice and they'll accept you through that route ASAP.

If you miss your firm offer then your firm can reject you and you'll be passed to your insurance choice.

DON'T wait until results day - by that point your insurance may have been notified that you're going to your firm and have run out of places.

When you call universities ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to.

Avoid the terms "release", "reject" and "withdraw" - they all have very specific meanings in the UCAS system and using the wrong one risks getting an unhelpful response at best or the wrong result at worst.

Just explain what you want to happen: "I want my insurance course to be my firm choice" and let your universities worry about the details of how it happens.

If they give you instructions or make promises ask if they can send those instructions/promises by email so you have them in writing.
Original post by PQ
It is too late to do this and have it show on Track before results day (UCAS have locked down the ability of universities to be swapped now - if you'd tried last week you would have been able to do this with minimal hassle)

Talk to your insurance and check that they'd be happy to take you as firm choice. If they're happy speak to your firm and explain the situation.

Ideally you'll need to get your firm and insurance choices to speak to each other to ensure this happens.

Neither university can actually do anything until results day now so there are 2 ways it could be managed on results day if both universities cooperate.

If you meet your firm offer your firm has to accept you and then place you into Clearing - you'll then be able to add your insurance as a Clearing choice and they'll accept you through that route ASAP.

If you miss your firm offer then your firm can reject you and you'll be passed to your insurance choice.

DON'T wait until results day - by that point your insurance may have been notified that you're going to your firm and have run out of places.

When you call universities ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to.

Avoid the terms "release", "reject" and "withdraw" - they all have very specific meanings in the UCAS system and using the wrong one risks getting an unhelpful response at best or the wrong result at worst.

Just explain what you want to happen: "I want my insurance course to be my firm choice" and let your universities worry about the details of how it happens.

If they give you instructions or make promises ask if they can send those instructions/promises by email so you have them in writing.

Thanks so much for the response. Would I go to both universities directly to do this? Or contact UCAS? Also, would I be okay to literally say to my insurance choice; "I'd like to make you my firm choice" or is there a more correct way to word it? Because like you mentioned, I don't want to say the wrong thing and get everything mixed up. And similarly, would I simply ask my firm choice to release me on Results Day regardless of my results? Would that be the correct thing to ask for?
Sorry for being a pain, thanks again!
Thanks so much for the response. Would I go to both universities directly to do this? Or contact UCAS? Also, would I be okay to literally say to my insurance choice; "I'd like to make you my firm choice" or is there a more correct way to word it? Because like you mentioned, I don't want to say the wrong thing and get everything mixed up. And similarly, would I simply ask my firm choice to release me on Results Day regardless of my results? Would that be the correct thing to ask for?
Sorry for being a pain, thanks again!

All these questions are answered in the post you quoted. I explained who to contact in which order and what to say (and what to avoid saying).

Do NOT WAIT UNTIL RESULTS DAY

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending