Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

University of Sheffield - How good is it?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi guys

So i just sat my A-levels (well not just) anyway, i really think i done quite well personally i now think i achieved well past my target grades and got a minimum of 2 A* and 2 As i was targeted 2 Bs and 2 Cs

Anyway based on those targets i did not really aspire too highly for Law, and my firm choice is Sheffield.

However how good is it? I really want to go through Adjustment because i feel Sheffield is not really as good as Warwick, LSE etc but many people say it is just as good as it is a RG.

So can anyway shed some light on whether i would be foolish to go to Sheffield?

I aspire to be a barrister in Cooperate Law but as of right now i am between Criminal or Cooperate. Regardless i aim to secure a pupillage or even a TC as a top firm so will a 1st from Sheffield or a 2:1 going to be sufficient??

Sheffield is definitely not as prestigious as the top London unis etc but it is a solid Russell group university which is visited by all the major law firms during the recruitment season and for the law fair. The moot court is sponsored by slaughter and may and last year we had a lot of visits from firms like Allen and overy, herbert smith freehills, Freshfields, RPC, Clifford Chance and more. It's got quite the history of getting graduates into the legal profession and is particularly good for producing barristers from what I have heard. Herbert smith freehills are really keen to get Sheffield students to apply because one of the partners went there and he said not enough apply- not because there not good enough, but because many stay in Sheffield post graduation. in last years intake for addleshaw Goddard, the university of Sheffield was the most common unis prospective trainees came from. Many of the teaching staff were formerly practicing in law firms such as Freshfields and Allen and overy and some still do on a consultancy basis. Source- I am a Sheffield law student about to enter my second year this September and will be applying for vacation schemes

Did you visit and like Sheffield? If you did then great go for it, enjoying a law school environment will probably help your marks. If you didn't like it and just chose it because you saw Russell Group and marks you could achieve then I would consider looking elsewhere and finding a law school you can see yourself being happy at.

Go to the best Uni you can. Its a bit of an odd question when you are asking is Sheffield as good as the top universities. Agree above its solid Russle group. Of you cna get inot Oxbridge and get a first, then go there.

I can give you an insight of the city and the areas around the University.

Generally the Uni's look great and they're always new Uni buildings being built.
    The student accommodations all have a bus stop near by which means it's a quick bus ride to the Uni.
    From what I've heard it's a great University for Sciences and Maths, and people excel fairly well.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.