The Student Room Group

Article: Changes to remarks: A guide for students

Scroll to see replies

Remarkers tend to be Senior markers so I'd argue their mark is more likely to be correct than the original marker, who may have little experience.

There are lots of stories on TSR about students, who have performed consistently well at their essays all year and then they get a ridiculously low grade in the exam and then when they remark they get the grade they deserve.A marker needs a lot of experience to mark essays well generally, I remember giving very low marks to essays that I was told to give a mark to in my English class(to give us experience of the mark scheme I think) but as far as I was concerned I was sticking to the mark scheme so in this new system students wouldn't get a fair remark as essay mark schemes aren't that clear(they don't really tell you the quality expected at this level).

I am interested in the research they did showing that examiners are being too lenient in marking remarks as I don't think thats generally the case as most remarks don't even change the result and sometimes the marks decrease.I agree that examiners shouldn't see the original mark as this could lead to bias, since it is the remarkers who will decide the final mark it makes sense to remove the original mark entirely.

The reason Ofqual are doing this is because they are not happy that some students are seeing increases in their marks(often large increases by multiple grades) and the reason for this is not leniency but because of why the students complained initially because the student had performed very well all year around and their result was grades below their in class performance and the remark often gives them the correct mark and proves that these students were right to remark.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
Remarkers tend to be Senior markers so I'd argue their mark is more likely to be correct than the original marker, who may have little experience.

There are lots of stories on TSR about students, who have performed consistently well at their essays all year and then they get a ridiculously low grade in the exam and then when they remark they get the grade they deserve.A marker needs a lot of experience to mark essays well generally, I remember giving very low marks to essays that I was told to give a mark to in my English class(to give us experience of the mark scheme I think) but as far as I was concerned I was sticking to the mark scheme so in this new system students wouldn't get a fair remark as essay mark schemes aren't that clear(they don't really tell you the quality expected at this level).

I am interested in the research they did showing that examiners are being too lenient in marking remarks as I don't think thats generally the case as most remarks don't even change the result and sometimes the marks decrease.I agree that examiners shouldn't see the original mark as this could lead to bias, since it is the remarkers who will decide the final mark it makes sense to remove the original mark entirely.

The reason Ofqual are doing this is because they are not happy that some students are seeing increases in their marks(often large increases by multiple grades) and the reason for this is not leniency but because of why the students complained initially because the student had performed very well all year around and their result was grades below their in class performance and the remark often gives them the correct mark and proves that these students were right to remark.

I agree so much with you! I'm also very concerned having taken 2 essay/humanities subjects and having been in the position of being marked down significantly last year.

How do you reckon they would go about marking essay-based exams under this new system? I suppose they look for 'evidence' of an answer meeting those descriptors for a 'level' on a mark scheme, right? Say, if a descriptor says 'cogent argument throughout', then if it's evident that a student has done that, then he/she will be credited. But this is still subjected to the marker's own subjective judgement and whether they saw that 'evidence' in the answer or not... So I don't quite understand the point of this new system being put in place. I actually think it's quite meaningless and erroneous cos it was made for the wrong reason like you've explained. And it can't remove the subjectivity for essay-based subjects cos of the very nature of how these subjects are marked anyway - they will always be down to someone's judgement and, like you said, experience. Whether it's the initial marker's judgement or the reviewer's judgement of how many of the descriptors for a level the answer has met, they're both still 'judgement' at the end of the day...

Also within each level there is a range of marks to be awarded, how are they supposed to differentiate whether a response is worth 6/10 or 7/10 while these are both the same level?... If in a remark the reviewer decides that the answer should get 7 rather than 6, will that original 6 not be changed as the reviewer's judgement would be seen as 'marginal' and 'finding marks to give' i.e. leniency?... I really can't imagine how this change of the remark system is going to work for humanities subjects, and I'm so worried and at the same time frustrated by it. Do you think we should still send for a remark? Do you think, on the flip side, the humanities subjects this year would actually still be marked and remarked the same way as before, as they noticed that they couldn't truly and properly implement the changes into these subjects as everything is so full of ambiguities?... Thanks.
Lots of thoughtful and critical posts here - thanks everyone.

I'll make sure Ofqual are aware of the discussion and encourage them to provide feedback.

Spoiler

Original post by Fox Corner
What do you think about these changes? Have you ever had an exam paper re-marked? Tell us your thoughts and experiences below!

I think these changes are a disaster. I've been teaching English A level for decades; over the years, I have seen patently wrong results and have sent many, many papers back for re-marks.
The quality of marking is extremely variable. One board in particular has always produced some chaotic results in my subject. It's hardly surprising - this particular outfit pay almost nothing to their examiners and, consequently, most examiners - myself included - won't work for them. The poor saps that they do manage to hook are - what a surprise - much more likely to be desperate for cash, probably newly qualified and almost certainly inexperienced.

What a mad system. You might like to read this excellent article:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/08/18/our-dysfunctional-a-level-marking-system-does-students-a-terribl/
These reforms are ********.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending