Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

word and PowerPoint

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm not very clued up on Microsoft software, but need to install word and PowerPoint on my laptop. Is there a student version of these with a one off payment or do you have to pay a yearly subscription?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by bibliboo)
    I'm not very clued up on Microsoft software, but need to install word and PowerPoint on my laptop. Is there a student version of these with a one off payment or do you have to pay a yearly subscription?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You might be able to get it free via your university

Edit to add: e.g. Leeds

If you can't get it for free like the user above said, then just buy one of the older versions of Microsoft Word mate, they still work just fine for general purpose and will be cheaper. You just buy the software once and that's it, it's yours - no yearly subscription. Cheapest place you'll find it is probably eBay or Amazon.

Google docs/sheets/slides etc is what I'm currently using (too broke for that Microsoft life) and they're quite good free alternatives.
    It also autosaves which is great if you're stupid like me :rolleyes:

Check if your university can offer a free or discounted version of the software first. This is the ideal route.

The basic version you're looking for is Office Home and Student. You can find the link here (£119.99 on the right):

This is a default for life licence and will mean you technically never need to buy office again. If you have a household with multiple people needing office you may find a subscription service to be more helpful in the long run.

If you only plan to use office while at university then consider the university option:

You get a 4 year licence which will be fine for uni use.

If that's still more than you'd like set up a free hotmail email account (if you don't already have one) and make use of the free online version. It's not super efficient as everything is saved to your OneDrive but it's also accessible anywhere. Again your university may help with this, you may get a uni email address that allows you to use it and they may even offer more OneDrive storage. This is the free way of doing it.

If you don't need a modern copy you can find the 2013 version of office here:

£99.95 for a permanent licence or £52.98 for the uni version. They also have a slightly discounted 2016 version which is cheaper than buying from Microsoft.

You've got quite a few options there, personally if you're looking for the easiest, cheapest one time payment option I'd go with the 2016 uni version. Software4students requires you to set up a verified student account so it's a bit of a pain to navigate. Going with the free online version is cheaper but generally more hassle (and not convenient if you have lots of stuff to store).

On top of all this there's no actual necessity to use Office. Something free like OpenOffice works fine:

Thanks very much guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.