The Student Room Group

GCSE Choices

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I have been reading posts and other things on this website for a while now. I have to choose my GCSE options soon and I am not too stressed about what to choose but I am torn between Spanish and French. I have decided that I will also do Latin. I am equally good at both and enjoy them the same, but I think that taking both and Latin(which is my favourite language) would be too much work. I have to take one as we must have a modern language. Which language would be better to take in terms of difficulty, usefulness? Sorry for the long post :frown:
If you are good at both then you should find it easy. GCSE languages don't really test your ability that well, just how good you are at picking out key words. Pick whichever one you enjoy more, but if you really wanted then you could probably manage both.
Hey! I chose German and French (but chose not to take Latin) and I found personally that the French course content wasn't as good as the German course. I can't speak for Spanish but I do believe that most of my friends enjoyed that course. I would recommend talking to your subject teachers about what they think would be best for you, but if I were in your situation, I would choose both Spanish and French, and Latin and then drop one of them if you're not enjoying it by October Half-Term. Hope this helps! :-)
I chose just to take one language, that language being French. The only reason for this being that my school's exam board for both French and Spanish would be AQA. I found out that all the topics would be exactly the same just in the different language. Now, I don't know about some people but that is just too much :wink: I choose to take an extra humanity instead, Geography.
If you are good at both then you should find it easy. GCSE languages don't really test your ability that well, just how good you are at picking out key words. Pick whichever one you enjoy more, but if you really wanted then you could probably manage both.

Hey! I chose German and French (but chose not to take Latin) and I found personally that the French course content wasn't as good as the German course. I can't speak for Spanish but I do believe that most of my friends enjoyed that course. I would recommend talking to your subject teachers about what they think would be best for you, but if I were in your situation, I would choose both Spanish and French, and Latin and then drop one of them if you're not enjoying it by October Half-Term. Hope this helps! :-)

I chose just to take one language, that language being French. The only reason for this being that my school's exam board for both French and Spanish would be AQA. I found out that all the topics would be exactly the same just in the different language. Now, I don't know about some people but that is just too much I choose to take an extra humanity instead, Geography.

Thanks everyone:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I took Chinese so there you have it.

Quick Reply

Latest