The Student Room Group

Help with A level maths?

For 83 I keep getting a repeated root where X=-2 but the answer should be C not A. Please explain ...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jas1947
For 83 I keep getting a repeated root where X=-2 but the answer should be C not A. Please explain ...

Well firstly; x=-2 is not a root. Secondly, in the case where you WOULD get a repeated root, that would account for 2 answers unless the question specifies "how many distinct real roots are there?" in which case the repeated root would account for 1, I believe.
Reply 2
Original post by Jas1947

There is no repeated root.
Reply 3
x= 0 is a solution aswell
That's the question from the Cambridge specimens pre-interview paper isn't it? I wasn't sure if there's a better method but I differentiated and found the values that correspond to turning points. Found the co-ordinates of the turning points and just considered how the graph would look like. You'll find it'll cross the x-axis twice.
Reply 5
Original post by alhrona

No it isn't.
Original post by alhrona

Um...no. If x=0 x=0 then 10=0 -10 = 0 which doesn't make sense.
Reply 7
Original post by B_9710
No it isn't.

if you factorise it you get 2 solutions of x=0 from a xsquared
Reply 8
Original post by NeverLucky
Um...no. If x=0 x=0 then 10=0 -10 = 0 which doesn't make sense.

oh yeah , excuse me , it's been over a month since the exams so i have forgotten everything
Original post by alhrona

wot????
Reply 10
Original post by alhrona

There's a stationary point at x=0, not a root.
Reply 11
Original post by alhrona

You might want to read the "don't answer if you don't know what you're talking about at all" bit of the posting guide stickied at the top of the forum.
Alevel maths threads get me like Facepalm-Meme-08.png
I have no idea if this is correct or not, but...

image.png

EDIT : sorry just realised the last part is a little wrong , b squared - 4ac = -2 squared - 4(1)(-root10) so should be 4 + 4root10 so still 2 real roots but not 16 + 4root10
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
You might want to read the "don't answer if you don't know what you're talking about at all" bit of the posting guide stickied at the top of the forum.

Well, it's fabulous to see that Zacken's attitude is just as bad - if not worse - as when I used to pester him months ago.

The Cambridge snobbery is really coming on well, I see.
Original post by Uni12345678
I have no idea if this is correct or not, but...

image.png

Lovely - all correct.
Original post by Bath~Student
Well, it's fabulous to see that Zacken's attitude is just as bad - if not worse - as when I used to pester him months ago.

The Cambridge snobbery is really coming on well, I see.

I've really missed you

Spoiler

Original post by Student403
I've really missed you

Spoiler

2 minutes in and the TSRian grammar has already given me cancer. Oh, dear, why did I choose to come back?
Lovely - all correct.

Thank you I had no idea if it was the right way of doing it I thought I was being an idiot loll x :smile:
2 minutes in and the TSRian grammar has already given me cancer.

Finally some good news today

Quick Reply

Latest