The Student Room Group

Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierm2707
Apologies I just copied and pasted that from an email I sent not realising I got the wrong email... this is why you shouldnt trust me this late at night after a long day of placement.

Sorry for the confusion,
obviously the minimum you can get with Alevels is 6 points or else you dont meet the minimum requirements of AAA. so say someone has AAA.
they would then need a further 21 points to get 27/27 or 20 points to get 26/27 (previous few years cut off).
so a score of AAA + 3A* 6A = 27/27.
and a score of AAA +2A* 7A = 26/27.

there are reasons why people with achieved A2 grades wouldnt meet the cut off score (due to poor GCSE grades), but as you rightly pointed out it is so much easier to hit max score as a gap year applicant.

Thanks for the clarification, so would it be right in saying if you meet the cut off and include all the non-academic requirements in your PS then you're guaranteed interview?
Original post by noctisff
Thanks for the clarification, so would it be right in saying if you meet the cut off and include all the non-academic requirements in your PS then you're guaranteed interview?

Pretty much yes, but of course because the personal statement is subjective, you could feel you have met one of the non-academic points but the admissions tutors (who read thousands of personal statements) may think otherwise, so it still isnt 100% gauranteed, I would think of it more as you have a very strong chance of being invited to interview.

Remember cardiff interview a large number of applicants (between 800 and 1200) each year for around 450 offers, so the biggest challenge is getting past interview.
I only have 3 AS levels since they are all linear subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Physics). Currently I am in A2, does this mean I will be at a disadvantage if I apply? I have 8A*s, 1A - and I score 26/27. However I am worried because I am only doing three subjects!
Original post by ShanahanR
I only have 3 AS levels since they are all linear subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Physics). Currently I am in A2, does this mean I will be at a disadvantage if I apply? I have 8A*s, 1A - and I score 26/27. However I am worried because I am only doing three subjects!

no problem at all cardiff no longer require a 4th AS subject.
My Stats are :

5A* + 6A's so I'm guessing theres no point me applying ?

I go to a really bad school so wondered if they use contextual data ?
no problem at all cardiff no longer require a 4th AS subject.

Oh okay thank you :smile: I think I just got confused when I read the A Level section requirements.
Reply 146
Hi there,
I didn't get a reply from admissions so I thought I'd post in this thread. I'm applying to the medicine with foundation year (A104) course. Since I did my high school in India, I have GCSE equivalent grades of 3 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs. My college then made me answer a English iGCSE (Foundation) exam and I got a grade C. I'm also "resitting" maths gcse with predicted grade being A.
Will I be considered for an offer based on my grades?
Original post by derxk
Hi there,
I didn't get a reply from admissions so I thought I'd post in this thread. I'm applying to the medicine with foundation year (A104) course. Since I did my high school in India, I have GCSE equivalent grades of 3 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs. My college then made me answer a English iGCSE (Foundation) exam and I got a grade C. I'm also "resitting" maths gcse with predicted grade being A.
Will I be considered for an offer based on my grades?

I am afraid since your circumstances are very specific only admissions will be able to tell you exactly.
I can tell you now that a GCSE grade B in english language GCSE or IGCSE is usually required if it has been sat, as you are international you may get around that with ILETS but you also may not as you have sat it...
as long as your maths was a B initially you should be fine.
Hi! I'm hopefully applying for medicine at cardiff uni this year, but applied last year and was rejected post-interview, will this have any effect on my application this year? :smile:

stats:
gcse- 8 A*'s and 2 A's
a-levels- AAA (bio, chem and maths)
UKCAT- 716.6 average, sjt band 1

Hi should I apply to cardiff?

A levels (achieved): A*AA
AS Levels: AAAA
GCSE: 8A* and A in chemistry and 2 other A grades
UKCAT: 1870 sjt score: band 3 (**** verbal reasoning and sjt)

1 week in GP, 1 week in hospital, 1 week in pharmacy, first aid cert. arranging to work for st john's ambulance in gap year, volunteer at care home, volunteer as childrens hospice and its charity shop, 1 year working as a maths and english tutor for kids, can speak 2 other languages.

Does it look decent enough to get an interview? because I don't really understand how cardiff chooses people for interview. thanks

Original post by valencia9000

Hi should I apply to cardiff?

A levels (achieved): A*AA
AS Levels: AAAA
GCSE: 8A* and A in chemistry and 2 other A grades
UKCAT: 1870 sjt score: band 3 (**** verbal reasoning and sjt)

1 week in GP, 1 week in hospital, 1 week in pharmacy, first aid cert. arranging to work for st john's ambulance in gap year, volunteer at care home, volunteer as childrens hospice and its charity shop, 1 year working as a maths and english tutor for kids, can speak 2 other languages.

Does it look decent enough to get an interview? because I don't really understand how cardiff chooses people for interview. thanks

Obviously depends on how the admissions team see your personal statement but academic points-wise your fine. Also If you don't understand how universities choose applicants for interviews look at their websites rather than posting the same template messages on multiple medical school threads. You'll get a better idea on the official websites rather than asking for opinions on threads
Sorry to hear that, no idea how the scoring works for scottish applicants but you could always contact admissions via email.

Unfortunately Cardiffs academic cut off is very strict once set each year, and it makes it a very academically heavy medical school. Good luck with your applications.

I'm Scottish and am just wanting an interview. I have really strong grades and personal statement but a bad UKCAT (617, band 2).

Do you think I would stand more chance of interview at Cardiff or Bristol? My grades are the highest possible for a Scottish applicant?
Original post by buckeybarnes
Hi! I'm hopefully applying for medicine at cardiff uni this year, but applied last year and was rejected post-interview, will this have any effect on my application this year? :smile:

stats:
gcse- 8 A*'s and 2 A's
a-levels- AAA (bio, chem and maths)
UKCAT- 716.6 average, sjt band 1

Call admissions asap!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .......Jeff458
I'm Scottish and am just wanting an interview. I have really strong grades and personal statement but a bad UKCAT (617, band 2).

Do you think I would stand more chance of interview at Cardiff or Bristol? My grades are the highest possible for a Scottish applicant?

Cardiff only look at the UKCAT post interview in a small number of tie breaker cases, if you are worried about your low UKCAT i would say cardiff is a better choice over bristol.

Not sure how scottish grades are scored but if you have top grades all the way through school you will be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cardiff only look at the UKCAT post interview in a small number of tie breaker cases, if you are worried about your low UKCAT i would say cardiff is a better choice over bristol.

Not sure how scottish grades are scored but if you have top grades all the way through school you will be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey thanks for this information. But unfortunately after reading Cardiff's website, applicants must be 18 before the course starts and I will only be 17.

Trying to find this out for Bristol but would you happen to know if it is the same for Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey thanks for this information. But unfortunately after reading Cardiff's website, applicants must be 18 before the course starts and I will only be 17.

Trying to find this out for Bristol but would you happen to know if it is the same for Bristol?

Never mind, found it. Bristol are ok with it!
Reply 156

Your best bets are to call Bristol or Cardiff up and speak to someone from admissions.
Original post by derxk
Your best bets are to call Bristol or Cardiff up and speak to someone from admissions.

I did. Bristol are ok with 17 year olds!
Hi, I applied last year but due to extenuating circumstances, achieved AAB, now that achieved A-levels are ranked, would this mean I get a lower score as my GCSEs were 10A*s, would my a levels bring this score down?
Original post by Cal1234
Hi, I applied last year but due to extenuating circumstances, achieved AAB, now that achieved A-levels are ranked, would this mean I get a lower score as my GCSEs were 10A*s, would my a levels bring this score down?

I am not sure, it is best to contact the school directly about this, I would assume if you extenuating circumstances meant you are resitting an exam then that B would be discounted as being achieved, hence you may only has A+A added onto your scoring sheet (so an extra 4 points), but I am only speculating.

cardiff do say that it is the minimum academic requirements must be met which is AAA so as you are going to be a resit due to extenuating circumstances candidate it will be worth asking the medical school directly.

Quick Reply

Latest