The Student Room Group

Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Hi,
I have just sent off my UCAS application and on my track it says the start date for Cardiff University is 1st September. This seems unusually early compared to the rest! Do you know if this is correct for medicine?
Original post by LaurynP
Hi,
I have just sent off my UCAS application and on my track it says the start date for Cardiff University is 1st September. This seems unusually early compared to the rest! Do you know if this is correct for medicine?

It will say september 1st as you will be required to enroll online from this date, usually the course starts around the 18th/19th/20th/21st and its always on a monday x
Reply 162
Original post by Natalierm2707
It will say september 1st as you will be required to enroll online from this date, usually the course starts around the 18th/19th/20th/21st and its always on a monday x

So is the 18th/19th... when you actually go to uni, like freshers week? x
Original post by LaurynP
So is the 18th/19th... when you actually go to uni, like freshers week? x

It really does depend on the year, it wont be the very start of september. when you do start (if you are offerred a place your welcome pack will detail start dates) you will have 1 week of induction activities to introduce you to the course and then you will start year 1 teaching the second week.

Hope that clarifies things for you.
Please check the Admissions policy before applying!
Hi again everyone, I know the deadline is running very close, and a lot of contradicting information is being spread around on the medical school threads throughout the student room regarding admissions policies.
It is very important that you check, double check and triple check admissions policies of the universities you are applying to before you send your application off, admissions policies are incredibly fluid and what they say goes in terms of requirements, selection and interview.

I say this now as there are a lot of us current students on TSR who are not always 100% up to date on the admissions policies, and with so much information flying around it is important to check with the admissions document (and if you have any further questions contact admissions directly) rather than believing everything which is said on a thread. I myself (and I speak for others) are not admissions staff, nor do we known the intricate workings of admissions policies, we just pass on the information we know from previous years and that we have gathered ourselves (usually from reading the admissions policy).

Now to clear up a few common questions (check the OP and admissions policy for full details):
Cardiff score GCSEs and achieved A2 levels out of 27 and the top % (this percentage changes each year depending on the quality of the cohort, but it is estimated to be around the top 33%) of applicants based on this score (which often has contextual data factored into it if it applies to you) will be invited to an MMI providing they have a good personal statement and reference.

I hope this clears up things for everyone who may have been unsure, best of luck with Cardiff applications and your other choices.

Can I also use this post as a reminder that discussion of interview scenarios and questions is strictly forbidden, this is not only unfair but it is also deeply unprofessional and admissions may see this thread from time to time, so dont risk your place!
I am very hopeful for you all, please let me know what goes on with your applications and if you want to know anything more about cardiffs course, life as a med student here or just what Cardiff is like then dont hesitate to ask.
Please could someone tell me how Cardiff give offers... is this solely based on interview performance or is the pre-interview score (out of 27) combined with the interview performance to decide who offer a place?
Or do they look at other factors such as A Levels, reference, personal statement etc again along with interview performance? If so, what's the breakdown of the proportion of academic and non-academic factors considered to give an offer?

Also, do they look at the SJT?? I have a band 3 :/

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Some unis use the SJT as an interview station. So you probably won't know. I am a reapplicant and I heard that from loads of people who had interviews.
Original post by giraffe1234
Please could someone tell me how Cardiff give offers... is this solely based on interview performance or is the pre-interview score (out of 27) combined with the interview performance to decide who offer a place?
Or do they look at other factors such as A Levels, reference, personal statement etc again along with interview performance? If so, what's the breakdown of the proportion of academic and non-academic factors considered to give an offer?

Thanks!

Hi thank you very much for your PM. If you don't mind I will answer your questions on here as I'm sure many others wonder the same and can benefit. I hope that's okay with you :smile:

As far as I am aware Cardiff tend to score you academically (using GCSEs and acheived A levels for those few who are reapplying). If you score highly then they will look at your personal statement to check if your suitable and call you for interview. If however you are borderline/have a slightly lower academic score they will look at your personal statement in more detail and may call you for interview. Cardiff med admissions in my opinion are fair in that respect.

The next stage is an interview. Please note that they have changed the interview format to MMIs. It used to be panel and the interviews ran from November until March/April however now with the MMIs they run them on a limited number of days.
I will post my tips,advice and experience for MMIs in general closer to the time if anyone is interested.

From previous years and as a general rule if you make it to the interview stage then it is the interview performance/score that is the decider in whether or not you get an offer.

To answer the second part of your question, Cardiff and most medical schools don't really care about your reference provided there's nothing horrible in it about you. They will likely read it however it wont affect your chances in progressing to the next stage.

Interestingly Cardiff really DONT care much about the ukcat. I had a shockingly low score (592.5 ave) and still got an interview, however if you have an exceptionally high ukcat score e.g 700+ and they can't distinguish between you and another applicant from grades/personal statement etc.. then the ukcat may be used as a last resort. So technically they do use it officially but realistically a poor ukcat is extremely unlikely to cause you to be rejected. I don't think they look at the SJT in detail. Tbh I wouldn't worry about that too much as they ukcat is the least they care about.

In regards to your final question about the course structure and for anyone else who is interested. Cardiff have a very integrated course and that's what makes it a really nice medical school.
For example in a case about MSK (musculoskeletal problems), you will have a case to go through with your case group in which you meet up three times a fortnight, you will have placements where you can learn knee/GALS examinations and also spend time in the anatomy lab performing dissection on the lower limb. To complement all that learning you will be delivered lectures (about 4-5 a week) that provides you with the core knowledge.
So as you can see the course is really dynamic and is much better than the traditional boring lecture based way of teaching, that's just my opinion.

I really hope that helps benefit you and others applying :smile:
Original post by futuremedic19
Hi thank you very much for your PM. If you don't mind I will answer your questions on here as I'm sure many others wonder the same and can benefit. I hope that's okay with you :smile:

As far as I am aware Cardiff tend to score you academically (using GCSEs and acheived A levels for those few who are reapplying). If you score highly then they will look at your personal statement to check if your suitable and call you for interview. If however you are borderline/have a slightly lower academic score they will look at your personal statement in more detail and may call you for interview. Cardiff med admissions in my opinion are fair in that respect.

The next stage is an interview. Please note that they have changed the interview format to MMIs. It used to be panel and the interviews ran from November until March/April however now with the MMIs they run them on a limited number of days.
I will post my tips,advice and experience for MMIs in general closer to the time if anyone is interested.

From previous years and as a general rule if you make it to the interview stage then it is the interview performance/score that is the decider in whether or not you get an offer.

To answer the second part of your question, Cardiff and most medical schools don't really care about your reference provided there's nothing horrible in it about you. They will likely read it however it wont affect your chances in progressing to the next stage.

Interestingly Cardiff really DONT care much about the ukcat. I had a shockingly low score (592.5 ave) and still got an interview, however if you have an exceptionally high ukcat score e.g 700+ and they can't distinguish between you and another applicant from grades/personal statement etc.. then the ukcat may be used as a last resort. So technically they do use it officially but realistically a poor ukcat is extremely unlikely to cause you to be rejected. I don't think they look at the SJT in detail. Tbh I wouldn't worry about that too much as they ukcat is the least they care about.

In regards to your final question about the course structure and for anyone else who is interested. Cardiff have a very integrated course and that's what makes it a really nice medical school.
For example in a case about MSK (musculoskeletal problems), you will have a case to go through with your case group in which you meet up three times a fortnight, you will have placements where you can learn knee/GALS examinations and also spend time in the anatomy lab performing dissection on the lower limb. To complement all that learning you will be delivered lectures (about 4-5 a week) that provides you with the core knowledge.
So as you can see the course is really dynamic and is much better than the traditional boring lecture based way of teaching, that's just my opinion.

I really hope that helps benefit you and others applying :smile:

Can I just draw attention to the things in bold:
1) this is not the case, you must exceed the cut off score to get an interview, anyone below this will not be invited to interview. You may find people scoring less than what is required for GCSE scoring to get an interview, but cardiff university medical school comply with the universities policys on widening access so some applicants may have a couple of extra points added to their score due to their background/school/area. More information on this can be found on the admissions policy or by contacting admissions directly, you will not know if you have gained any contextualised points as the medical school will not publicise this information to you.
2) The reference and personal statement are read as a whole, hence a really bad reference can impact on your progression in the admissions process.

Just wanted to make those above points clear as a lot of information can be spread around, and often not all of it is correct, its really important to iron out anything which may be misleading.
Cardiff are very fluid and their admissions policy reflects that!

Original post by giraffe1234

Thanks!

After you have had your MMI it is solely based on the score received from that as to whether you will get an interview or not. If there is a tie for remaining places the UKCAT score (excluding SJT band) will be used, and the highest scorers will be favoured, but this is usually quite rare and of course a strong interview performance can outway that.
Original post by BadLashes
Some unis use the SJT as an interview station. So you probably won't know. I am a reapplicant and I heard that from loads of people who had interviews.

As the MMI stations are new to cardiff we will not know what the stations are, but if they were using the SJT as a station you will most likely find out on the day.
Unfortunately many people seem to have misunderstood the academic score allocated to achieved A Level's.

I contacted Admissions, and found out that achieving AAA or anything above, adds 1 point onto your score from GCSE's.
Original post by DariusVaselo
Unfortunately many people seem to have misunderstood the academic score allocated to achieved A Level's.

I contacted Admissions, and found out that achieving AAA or anything above, adds 1 point onto your score from GCSE's.

Did you call admissions?
Original post by Natalierm2707
Did you call admissions?

Yeah I called at end of September.

I think you've been misinformed. Here's an email I got from Cardiff medical school on October 11th (after you claimed to have phoned):

"Good Morning,

Thank you for your email, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you, this has been a very busy time for us.
If you apply with achieved A2 levels for the course starting in September 2017, you will receive 3 points per A*, and 2 points per A grade from 3 A levels including Biology and Chemistry. This will be added to your overall academic score.
We do not score predicted grades."

I had also phoned earlier that week (in October) and was told the exact same thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I called at end of September.

I have spoken to admissions regarding this issue a couple of weeks ago and I sent an email saying they had changed to the a* = 3 points etc. for A2 levels as well.
So does that still mean academic score is out of 29 for people with achieved A levels. Or will people with achieved a levels have a different cut off.
So does that still mean academic score is out of 29 for people with achieved A levels. Or will people with achieved a levels have a different cut off.

No the same cut off, has to be fair and linear. I think the idea of the cut off is to allow people with slightly weaker performance at GCSE to have a stronger chance of an interview at cardiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 177
Applied to Cardiff last year with a score of 24, got rejected pre interview. Applying here again with achieved a level results with a score of 27. Fingers crossed my personal statements is good enough for them to give me an interview. Good luck to all applicants this year :smile:
Reply 178
Is an offer entirely based on interview performance? Or do they consider your achieved academics too?
Original post by KB_97
Is an offer entirely based on interview performance? Or do they consider your achieved academics too?

This can all be found in the admissions policy but an offer is based entirely off your interview performance, unless there is a tie break situation where then the UKCAT score is used.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending