The Student Room Group

How to stop hating myself

Anon.

I'm a 22 year old female and honestly I hate myself. I thought this was something you grew out of as you got older, but for me it's the opposite. I was a pretty confident teen, ok-ish during university and now it's off the cliff.

I was disgnosed with anxiety/depression a year ago, whilst i don't feel as anxious as in constant panic attacks as I did back them, i'm feeling emotionally drained by my low self esteem.

I hate the way I look, I hate the things I do, I hate what I say. I tried to change, lost two stone, did well at uni and in my current career path, but none of it is good enough,i still just feel like an absolute loser all the time who is repulsed by what I see in the mirror.

How do I get out of this? I'm so tired of hating myself and worrying all the time what others thibk, but it's an endless cycle.*
Original post by Anonymous
I hate myself

I wish I had some solid answer to your problem. But you need to talk to someone, probably over an extended course of time.
All I know is, you can't go through life hating yourself
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Anon.

I'm a 22 year old female and honestly I hate myself. I thought this was something you grew out of as you got older, but for me it's the opposite. I was a pretty confident teen, ok-ish during university and now it's off the cliff.

I was disgnosed with anxiety/depression a year ago, whilst i don't feel as anxious as in constant panic attacks as I did back them, i'm feeling emotionally drained by my low self esteem.

I hate the way I look, I hate the things I do, I hate what I say. I tried to change, lost two stone, did well at uni and in my current career path, but none of it is good enough,i still just feel like an absolute loser all the time who is repulsed by what I see in the mirror.

How do I get out of this? I'm so tired of hating myself and worrying all the time what others thibk, but it's an endless cycle.*

I'm 18 and I feel this way, could we talk on PM? :frown:
Definitely talk to someone. I have very similar issues with low self esteem, anxiety, hating myself, and I have been seeing a counsellor at the uni. I've only just started so haven't spoke about a lot yet, but even just sitting in front of him and admitting how I feel, feels a little bit better and a little bit less of a burden.
100% recommend it.
Get CBT through you’re GP.
Original post by Dotty2785
Definitely talk to someone. I have very similar issues with low self esteem, anxiety, hating myself, and I have been seeing a counsellor at the uni. I've only just started so haven't spoke about a lot yet, but even just sitting in front of him and admitting how I feel, feels a little bit better and a little bit less of a burden.
100% recommend it.

Original post by Welshvisitor
Get CBT through you’re GP.

I think you should check when this thread was posted
Original post by angelike1
I think you should check when this thread was posted

Oh 😅 well it might still be helpful to anyone in a similar situation looking now

Quick Reply

Latest