The Student Room Group

Implicit Differentiation

Find and Classify the stationary values of 4xy^3=1+4x^2y^2
I've found y' and the points of the stationary points to be (1/2,1) and (-1/2,-1).

When finding the nature of the S.Pts I get both as minima, but the answer is a minimum at (1/2,1) and maximum at (-1/2,-1).
I found y'' = 2y/(3y-4x), is this correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Local maximum at (1/2,1) and local minimum at (-1/2,-1). Workings?
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
Local maximum at (1/2,1) and local minimum at (-1/2,-1). Workings?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470267041.728919.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470267062.591925.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470267098.466217.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't try and find the second differential here, just test the gradient either side of the stationary point
Reply 5
Original post by Bananapeeler
Don't try and find the second differential here, just test the gradient either side of the stationary point

Doesn't that only work when you have the only x terms in the 1st derivative?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Couldn't you just pick an x value, plug it into your initial equation to solve for y and then put them both in your first derivative?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Bananapeeler
Couldn't you just pick an x value, plug it into your initial equation to solve for y and then put them both in your first derivative?

The equation is 4xy^3=1+4x^2y^2 so substituting a value for x would leave you with a cubic I believe. I think it'd be much easier to find the 2nd derivative in this case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure, whatever works for you - it's just that solving a cubic seems easier than using the quotient rule implicitly, which has a lot more that could go wrong

Quick Reply

Latest