The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Just had a look at the Goldsmiths History brochure and the course looks really good. Covers a very broad area, but each module looks pretty indepth though.

More impressed with the Goldsmith Course than the QM one. That probably doesn't help, but you'll be studying the course for 3 years, so it's got to hold your interest.
Reply 2
vickytoria77
Just had a look at the Goldsmiths History brochure and the course looks really good. Covers a very broad area, but each module looks pretty indepth though.

More impressed with the Goldsmith Course than the QM one. That probably doesn't help, but you'll be studying the course for 3 years, so it's got to hold your interest.

It is very broad, which is nice, but I would like something with more to do with film. There are film related modules in the Goldsmiths programme that interest me and the opportunity for intercollegiate study at other UOL colleges is also very appealing to me.

As for academic repute, the History department was rated grade 4 in the last RAE exercise. That's a good grade but it's obviously not one of their areas of expertise. I'm happy at least one decent uni is willing to accept me. It's certainly a step up from my old place (Kingston).

Of course, reputation is just one thing. I have to be happy to study at the uni and commute to New Cross for the next 3 years. I still need to visit the campus and I intend to arrange for that next week. How long do UCAS give me to make my decision?
Reply 3
Regarding RAE - Sussex, Bristol, Kent, Reading, Nottingham and even the IHR were all given 4 for their History departments.

Not exactly places that ARN'T known in the academic world. Not to mention those are the findings for work being done around 2000/2001.

Might be worth doubling checking online regarding ucas time frames, as that's not something you want to miss out on.
Reply 4
vickytoria77
Regarding RAE - Sussex, Bristol, Kent, Reading, Nottingham and even the IHR were all given 4 for their History departments.

Not exactly places that ARN'T known in the academic world. Not to mention those are the findings for work being done around 2000/2001.

Might be worth doubling checking online regarding ucas time frames, as that's not something you want to miss out on.

Academically, Goldsmiths seems to be on par with places like Brunel and City. All 3 had achieved 6 subjects at Grade 5 and above at the 2001 RAE. Golds also had 7 subjects at Grade 4 (including History) while the other two had 8 subjects at Grade 4. So it's academic credentials are pretty solid.

I believe UCAS will contact me in writing regarding my offers and will let me know the date I need to reply by.
Reply 5
OK, UCAS have informed me that I have until 2nd August to reply to any outstanding offers. I'll make sure I'll reply by the end of the month.
Reply 6
Anyone else want to offer their views?

Latest

Trending

Trending