The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 16Characters....
Huh. Any idea what the issue was?

No clue. Maybe the Christs's AT can shed some light on it if it isn't confidential, I'm rather curious.
Original post by Zara0526
Hello, I recently received my AS grades at A in Psychology, B in History and B in Geography. (I was disappointed as i was expecting AAA and Geography is still old spec so it is 50% of my overall A-Level) My GCSE's are 4A*, 4A's and 1B, 1C (i was predicted all B's and C's). For A-level i am predicted A*AA (with the A* in Psychology)...i was hoping to get this up to A*A*A but as i got a B in Geography my school won't predict me an A* in it. My only option is to resit...should I? I wish to study Geography at University, do i have a shot at Cambridge, or should i not bother applying? Also, is it worth doing an EPQ, to make up for my poor AS grades? Thank you

Hello and thanks for your questions. ABB at AS Level is not going to make you a strong candidate on paper at Cambridge but it doesn't make it impossible providing you do well on other aspects of the application. I expect your best bet, however, would be to apply post A Level having achieved at least the standard offer of A*AA.

There's no point in resitting Geography AS, just concentrate on getting 90+ UMS in A2 and that will secure an A* overall. The resit will not have happened by the time you apply so it's not going to make a difference to your application this year and doing it may distract you from the A2 modules.

An EPQ is a good thing but only if you have something you want to do for its own sake rather than simply as something to impress us.

I hope that is helpful. Best of luck.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
I doubt that your GCSEs are going to play a massive part in the assessment at this stage given how far removed they are from when you are going to apply.

I have contacted Wolfson College, regarding the A*A*B and the missing RS paper, and they have suggested that I resit it. It appears the standard age colleges, or at least the ones I have contacted, have suggested leaving the grades as they are as a resit will almost never form part of an offer.

"The mature colleges take a more relaxed attitude towards re-sits, as we understand that life inevitably accrues further complications as it goes on beyond the age of 17. There can be no question of outgrowing A levels: fear not. One simply has to prove competence prior to arrival, and this is currently the most effective method."

I also contacted St. Catharine's whose stance was this:

'because we almost never make offers based on anything other than 3 A-levels sat at the same time, we probably wouldn’t take your RS result into account, other than as evidence of your ability to work independently etc'

I am in a dilemma as to whether to indicate an intention to resit on my UCAS form. It seems admissions tutors have very different stances on this. If need be, I definitely would resit but I feel I wouldn't be moving on with my life in any meaningful way. I feel a single module resit in RS wouldn't serve as much of an indicator of my competence beyond an ability to self-teach A Levels ad infinitum.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
Sorry to hear that mate :frown:.
Someone with 2,2 was fished by my college last year and it couldn't have been closer then yours.
I hope you get in man :frown: best of luck let us know how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much man. I've been rejected unfortunately and am very upset about it, but it's time I got over it and got to work again preparing for another admissions cycle.

I heard of your results. Congratulations. Very very well done. You absolutely deserve it and I hope you have a great time at Cambridge.
Original post by jenoverboard
Thanks for your reply! Pretty much as expected, to put into context no one that sat higher chemistry or computing in my school got a band 1 for either subject - I was 2nd overall for computing and was 1st in my prelim examination for it (which I received an award for) - should this be mentioned in my reference to allow admissions to understand that relatively I did well? I of course completely understand that the A2s are a hindrance, thank you for the reply again!

Just wondering whether I would receive an interview with my grades or be flat out rejected?

It's difficult to say for sure but I think you would get an interview. Yes, I would get your school to mention these contextual things in your reference.
Original post by domaths
Hello again,

I have a few questions on the contextual data Cambridge uses, for my school's GCSE performance is the year my GCSEs were obtained used or an average over past years? Also does the amount of students getting in to Oxbridge include unsuccessful offer holders?

Thanks in advance

It's the most recent available year for which there is data, which is the year that Year 13 applicants took their GCSEs.

It's the number of offers for Oxbridge rather than entrants that is used to calculate this flag.
Original post by MCPClark
Hi Admissions Tutor,

I've just got my ASs back for Latin and Maths, averaging 96/100 for Latin with 100 in language, and 90+ in all maths modules. I'm wanting to study classics.

My question is how much do you weight each element of your admissions process? As in would you value grades over interviews or admissions test?

Moreover, how does this compare to Oxford and are my ASs good enough to consider Oxbridge classics?

Thank you very much for any advice you have

Hello and congratulations on your results, they are certainly good enough to apply.

We don't mechanistically weight each part of the application, they are examined holistically, individually and fluidly by a number of people before a final decision is made. I suppose it's fair to say that, on balance, we try to place more emphasis on public exams over other forms of assessment but this can change in individual cases.

I don't want to speak definitively for Oxford but my impression is that they use grades and their tests to narrow the field down considerably prior to interview and that therefore the interview becomes slightly more important, while they still look at all the other factors as well.

I hope that this helps and best of luck.
Hi there,
I'm applying for economics and I wanted to ask how important is the entrance examination relative to the rest of my application? I feel my grades and personal statement are quite strong. Would Cambridge look at my application and the entrance exam result together or would doing badly in the entrance examination immediately disqualify me from gaining an interview? How big a filter is the entrance exam for all applicants? And finally what's the best way to prepare for the entrance exam?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Lewishier
Hi, I have a question about medicine applications. I know the standard offer is A*A*A. Would it matter which subjects had the A*s? So if it was Maths and Biology with Chemistry at an A?

Some colleges will ask for an A* in Chemistry as it's the most important (and difficult) subject for the study of Medicine. Others will stick with the standard offer for A*A*A in Maths/Science subjects and won't discriminate between them.
Just wondering about applying to Cambridge for English - I'm holding a place at Durham atm, and not sure about taking a gap year.

English lit A* (400/400 - also full marks)
History A* (388/400)
Latin A (352/400 but pending investigation - seems a little low compared to my expectations)
EPQ A* (47/50 - English-related)

Religious Studies AS: A (194/200)
Plus 10A*s 1A at GCSE. Would these results make me stand out or are they pretty standard for Cambridge? Thanks in advance
Reply 570
Your results are certainly good enough to apply, yes. Beyond that, it's impossible to say what might happen for certain. Both your Mechanics modules are a little low which would be a concern and it would be good if you FP1 went up on remark but if you do well in other aspects of the application then you stand a chance of an offer.

Thank you! I am certain both F1 and M2 modules will go up.
Original post by patientdoctor
Hi there,
I'm applying for economics and I wanted to ask how important is the entrance examination relative to the rest of my application? I feel my grades and personal statement are quite strong. Would Cambridge look at my application and the entrance exam result together or would doing badly in the entrance examination immediately disqualify me from gaining an interview? How big a filter is the entrance exam for all applicants? And finally what's the best way to prepare for the entrance exam?

Thanks in advance.

I just point you to the post CAT has entered a few moments before you question. :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=&page=29&p=67082828#post67082828
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hey admissions tutor it's just me again.

I'm wondering whether or not I would still stand a chance of getting an offer (or even just an interview) despite my bad GCSE grades (3 A*s 3 B's, 2 C's, 1 D and 1 E) although they have major extenuating circumstances (which I talked about earlier in the week) and cost me 4 years worth of secondary education.

At AS I got:

A - English language
A - English literature
B - History

I've always done well at History so the B came as a shock. I was devastated! I've been the strongest in the cohort, and I even got 60/60 in the AS History paper one in my exam. I didn't drop a single mark! We're sending Paper 2 back for a remark because I was 6 marks from an A grade overall, and I got 15/40 in paper 2. So it seems strange to go from 60/60 to 15/40, especially as I've gotten full marks in every History assignment since Year 8. Including my GCSE!

Is it still worth applying for Cambridge to read History?

I know there will be people with AAA and 11 A*'s at GCSE, which makes my application seem a bit silly. (AAB and only 3 A*'s at GCSE). I just love History so much, and to study it at Cambridge would be such an amazing experience.

A2 predictions will be A*AA-A*A*A, with the A* prediction in History.

Thanks for all of your help, hope I haven't been too much of a bother! :redface:

It's really no bother, please don't worry. I'm sorry that your History AS did not go as well as you'd have liked or were expecting. Hopefully the remark will move you to an A. I've taken people for History with a B in History at AS before so it's not inconceivable, though it would be unusual. You will just have to ensure that the rest of your application is very strong. There's no need to give up just yet.
Hello, thank you for your questions and congratulations on your results.

1) Unless students have three unreformed AS Levels then they will not have a UMS average. Even then, if they are taking a reformed fourth subject then the best 3 UMS will not necessary tell us what it used to tell us. We are not going to rank people by their UMS as we used to. We are not going to collect raw marks but if your teacher wish to mention them in your reference then that is fine.

2) I'm afraid I really can't say. From what you've told me you look like you'd be a strong applicant at either university. The thing to do is to look at the courses on offer and the differences. All I would say about the new History and Politics degree at Cambridge is that we have looked closely at how it works at Oxford and tried to integrate the two disciplines more closely for students.

3) As we've no data on previous applicants, it's hard to know what the acceptance rate will be for History and Politics. We are hoping that it will be popular among applicants. As in Oxford, students who apply for the joint course will be eligible for an offer in single honours, either from the college to which they originally applied or from another college via the Pool. I expect that quite a lot of H&P applicants will fall into this category even if they are unsuccessful in their joint honours application.

4) I think either option could work fine. it;s not necessary to do 4 A Levels so only continue if you want to and by continuing with Maths you won't affect your performance in the other subjects. An EPQ can be a useful addition to the application as it gives you something to talk about in the PS and at interview but it doesn't form part of the offer.

Sorry not to be more definitive in a lot of my answers but I hope that this is helpful nonetheless. Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you so much that was really helpful! I just have a couple other questions if you wouldn't mind answering them:

In terms of the actual History course at Cambridge the only thing putting me off is the compulsory paper on economic/social history - as someone who is much more interested in political history would you think I might not enjoy this or do people find it is better than they thought?

And in terms of wider reading I know the general advice is just to read what interests you, but are there certain things we should/shouldn't do? E.g. i know a lot of people read those theoretical "what is history"-type books, is it worth reading one of these even though everyone will have done the same? (I was thinking maybe Collingwood The Idea of History is this a good one to go for?) At the moment I'm reading Hobsbawm's Age of Revolution as well as de Tocqueville and Burke on the French Revolution, any other recommendations for this kind of period? I'm also really interested in religious history, I have Burleigh's Earthly Powers are there any other books on modern religious history that would be good to talk about in PS?

Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MCPClark
Hi again, my friend who is enamoured with Cambridge also wanted me to ask whether her M2 would be a detriment to her application and make her a weaker candidate?

C1 98C2 100S1 98M1 96D1 100FP1 97S2 90M2 83

Once again many thanks

Hello again, I'd need to know what subject she was interested in to be sure, but the remainder of her Maths scores look very strong. yes, the M2 score is a bit on the low side but there is sufficient strength elsewhere in Maths not to make us think more than it's an outlier.
Original post by funky386
Dear Admissions Tutor,

After receiving my AS level results, I did fairly better than I expected, getting AAAA in maths, physics, chemistry and biology (also maths is unreformed, C1 UMS is 100%, C2 UMS is 90% and M1 UMS is 100% so UMS total is 96.7%). Would my UMS be strong, average or mediocre for medicine?

Furthermore as I really felt I hadn't done as well in physics I didn't attend the Cambridge open day before my results, may I ask is the SAQ like another personal statement or are you simply writing why you would like to go to Cambridge?

Thank you for your help.

Hello and thanks for your questions. 96.7% in Maths AS is a good score for Medicine but it's impossible to compare UMS this year with previous years as we don't have it any more in Chemistry, Physics or Biology. That you got straight As in these, however, will be a good thing.

There are a number of college open days in September if you want to go to one of those (including a Science Open Day at Christ's on 31 August). You don't need to fill in the additional PS box on the SAQ. it's really there for those who arre applying for a different subject at Cambridge than they are elsewhere at UCAS (e.g. Nat Sci, HSPS, ASNC).
I am seriously sorry because I know you are absolutely flooded with "are these grades still good enough" questions. But I have to ask, haha. :colondollar:

I got 5As in my AS Levels and my ordinary Maths UMS was 99, 96 and 91, but in my Further Maths, which was self-taught, I got 90, 81 and 81. I got full UMS in Physics unit 1 and Software Systems Development unit 1. However I have a B in Biology unit 1 and the Physics practical. I just want to gauge my chances of an interview for Computer Science.

I'm not expecting a definite answer from you of course, because you can't give me that, but would you say its definitely still worth the application?
Original post by 16Characters....
Just a small worry here. A person in the STEP prep thread mentions having been told that they had been downgraded in a STEP paper. Just to confirm, are our STEP results final? I have met my offer and received confirmation, that's not going to be taken away is it?

The small number of mistakes have now been rectified and candidates informed. Your results are final and you're in, well done!
Reply 578
Hello again!

Everyone seems to be giving breakdowns of their subject grades and getting good advice, so I thought I might do the same...

Here is all the information I know about my AS Level grades...

Maths (A) with UMS 251/300 (AQA)
Core 1 - 85/100 UMS - A
Core 2 - 90/100 UMS - A
Stats 1B - 76/100 UMS - B

Psychology (A) all I know that my 'scaled mark' is 120/144 (AQA)
Paper 1 - 61 (I don't know what out of sorry!)
Paper 2 - 59

English Lit (A) with raw mark 102/120(Edexcel)
Prose - I can't find out!
Poetry and Drama - 67/72

French (B) with UMS 159/200 (Edexcel) one mark off an A!
Speaking - 39/60 UMS but getting this remarked
Reading, Listening and Writing - 120/140 UMS

I am considering applying for HSPS, looking particularly at Politics.

My question is, will these grades give me a competitive application? I appreciate that grades are only one component but I just thought I'd take a stab in the dark and see what advice I get!
Original post by czhang1998
Dear AT,
I've got these results for my AS this year: (UMS)Maths:
C1:100
C2:94
M1:100
F. Maths:
FP1:87:frown:
S1:100
D1:100
Physics(reformed/OCR): on the results sheet it says 135 points and an A grade, but does anyone know what does the points mean??

I'm hoping to apply for architecture, did not do an AS in art in Y12 bc I know I'm continuing it next year. I'll hopefully be predicted an A* in it. But with the 87 in FP1, I'm probably not going to be predicted A* in Further Maths if I continue it for A2. So with these results, should I drop Further Maths for A2 or keep it? Is it going to be helpful at all having this fourth subject?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

Congratulations on your results. You don't need a fourth subject and it won't be an advantage as you are already doing the three most relevant subjects for Architecture (Maths, Art and Physics). On the other hand, they are your A Levels and you should do what you want for your own satisfaction. Just remember that what we want to see is excellence in three subjects, just doing more subjects isn't going to impress us, so if you're going to do more subjects do them fr you and not for our sake.

Latest

Trending

Trending