The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
You need to give more details, like what AS subjects you're taking and UMS in each subject.

GCSE RESULTS
5 A*s 1 A 4 Bs

AS RESULTS
Physics I got UMS (Safe A)
Economics 86 % UMS (A)
Arabic 87% UMS (A)
Maths 81% UMS (Low A)

What do you think should I try and apply to computer science at Cambridge or its a waste of time ?

MY A2 Expectations
Physics A*
Economics A
Arabic A*
Maths A
Willing to apply for Engineering
Grades GCSEs Maths A Adv. Science A Core Science B French A* Spanish A* RE C Geography C History B ICT B English lang C English Lit B I am a native Spanish speaker who moved to england in Febreaury 2014
AS Levels Spanish 191/200 UMS A (didn't receive any lessons or help-self taught?) Mathematics 81 UMS A C1 89 UMA (to remark since I think I made less than 4 mistakes and 1 mark = decimals more than 2 UMS) C2 67 UMS (to be remarked )M1 89UMS Further Maths (self taught with textbooks and online papers) about 40 ums E Further Pure 1 44 ums E M2 36 ums U (to be remarked) M3 42 E Physics 81 UMS A (probs school remarking paper where I'm 2 marks off an A) Psychology (48 UMS 2 raw marks off a D school remarking it probs) Biology 47 UMS (3 raw marks off a D so school probably getting remarked a paper or both) I red in Liverpool uni's website that they count native languages a levels as any other, so I assume this for any other Russell group uni? I do believe the knowledge has had to been learnt. I wanted to change college cause they don't teach further maths at mine, so I'd be going to another one For maths and further, they do the same examboard as my old college In maths they do the same modules as I have in year 12 and would have in my old college in year 13 (C3 C4 AND S1. For further maths I would have to sit: FP1(RESIT) M2 (RESIT) S2 , FP2, D1 & D2. They also have the same examboard for Physics However they don't offer languages, which I would have to do by myself.

French Language Studies Diploma (DELF) B1

What chances do I stand? If I excelled in the preint. Test would I definitely get an interview? Plus would it help if I did any moocs?
Hello! Thank you very much for opening this thread. It's nice to be able to comfortably ask for advice.I am a reapplicant (applied for 2016 entry prior to this) and have achieved the following grades (no resits)1. Mathematics A* (94%)2. Physics A* (93%)3. Chemistry A* (94%)4. Further Mathematics A (88%)I plan to sit for STEP as well in June 2017. Last year I applied for Mathematics and got a offer from Oxford, but missed the A* Further Mathematics requirement. I plan to apply for Computer Science (most likely the 50% option with Mathematics). What are my chances if I were to apply with the A grade I have in Further Mathematics without resitting? Additionally, would it make any difference if I were to declare I wish to resit? Finally, while it states that no prior knowledge of programming is required, I suppose it is highly desireable. Do you have any advice for CompSci applicants as to what kind of super curricular activities to do with programming we should do? Thank you very much and sorry for the many questions!
Hello :smile:

I’m an incoming Year 13 and I’m considering reading Law. I scored 4As at AS and the breakdown is as follows

Maths : C1 85 | C2 100 | S1 86 (overall 90.3% UMS) A

Geography : Paper 1 108/120 | Paper 2 80/80 (overall 94% UMS) A

English Lang&Lit (reformed raw) : 129/160 A

Economics (reformed raw) : 123/160 A

I was wondering whether I’d be competitive with these grades or whether I'd at least be called for an interview (of course, given a good PS as well!). I know the low C1/S1 UMS & Econs raw mark are worrying :frown:

Also, I don't have any GCSEs because I just moved to the UK this year. Given that I'm an international student, would an A at AS Level for English Lang&Lit suffice to meet the English requirement or would I need to take IELTS before applying as well? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer all the questions here on this thread!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Just to jump in and say; if you have a Mac, or a Windows PC for that matter, you can get MS Office for free via Cambridge's licencing agreement with Microsoft. You can also get very good academic discounts on a new laptop if you need one. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will deffinitely need a new laptop. I knew about the Apple Education discounts, but are there other brands or retailers offering discounts for students for Windows machines?
Original post by teodorng
I will deffinitely need a new laptop. I knew about the Apple Education discounts, but are there other brands or retailers offering discounts for students for Windows machines?

I know Dell and HP do via unidays
Hello.
I noted earlier in this thread that admissions teams were undecided about needing/asking for raw scores for the reformed subjects at AS level, for inclusion in the SAQ, and a decision was going to be made..

I may have missed the answer over the last few days. Just wondering whether a final decision has been made? My daughter hasn't got her raw scores, but we are going to ask the school exams officer if she can have access to them.

Thank you
What is the average SUMS of a successful medical applicant please?
Also, I understand that you will not ask for raw scores from reformed AS levels, but will you ask for internal year 12 exams from schools that have decided not to take AS exams in reformed subjects?

Many thanks! :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hi, I missed my firm University offer this year. Having exceeded the requirement for my degree subject, but not met the requirement for another, unrelated subject. I did have some extenuating circumstances, but obviously these did not suffice as an explanation for my results if I was ultimately rejected. However, I'm considering retaking the unrelated subject during a gap year and reapplying to university. Would this put me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants? Would I be looked down on for retaking a subject?
How do you give offers to people who do 4 A-Levels at A2? Do you only give a 3 grade offer or 4 grade offer? Thanks
Reply 711
Hello and congratulations on making your offer at Christ's, we look forward to having you in October. You'll get a fresher's pack shortly, probably early September, which will detail a lot of information about what you can and can't do. I'm not sure abut the Breville, I expect it's ok but don't quote me on that, you'll need to ask your tutor. I don't really go into student gyp rooms very often (not really my place!) but I think that they just have fridges and not freezers.

You are guaranteed accommodation before clinical studies. Off the top of my head at at home on Saturday night, I can't remember what happens with clinicals except to say that the vast majority voluntarily rent privately during clinicals because they aren't in Cambridge for a lot of the time but on rotation elsewhere at other hospitals. Also, renting privately near Addenbrokes is often more convenient that being in a college house on Huntingdon Road or near the railway station. If you'd like me to find out for certain, I'll be happy to do so.

You need a gown by the time of the matriculation photo which, at Christ's, happens on the Monday of freshers week, so you'll have a chance to pick one up cheaply on Sunday.

Thanks for your quick reply, hopefully meet you in October :smile:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Sorry to interrupt! Just had to poke my History loving nose into it. I really liked what you said here, and I was compelled to respond. I'm going to pick up Marc Bloch's work immediately. What an interesting insight! Is there much material out there about his own execution? I'm really intrigued by the "History impacting on a Historian" comment - it's like a box within a box!!

I have Burke's work in my room actually, actually. I'm going to get around to it sometime and I'll pick up Paine's 'Rights of Man' afterwards. Right now, I'm reading 'The Long European Reformation' by Peter Wallace. It really puts the reformation in it's political and economical place in time, and how each (Religious/Political/Economical) are intrinsically linked. And it's so interesting to see how things developed between reformers, leaders, countries and societies from the time span within the book. The argument that the Reformation wasn't a quick process, and that people couldn't comprehend the Reformation for years after it's 16th Century happening, is something I'm really agreeing with whilst I'm reading it. I like all types of History, really. I can't pick a favourite one. I keep telling me mum that I just want to "learn it all" but she says that's not quite possible. I can try though!

Of course, I'll bore you if I start rambling. Honestly, I'm the bane of my History teachers life, I never quite shut up.

After I finish 'The Long European Reformation', I'll be reading the Protestant Ethic by Webber, and then City of God by St Augustine. Do you have any 'companion pieces' for this particular 'theme'? It's just for my own interest really. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for somebody interesting in the way the world has been shaped throughout History, especially religious, and the comparisons and differences we can draw between the world we live in now and how the world has shaped to be this way? Just a little anecdote that I've been trying to bring up my own conclusions for, recently. :tongue:

Sorry I keep on appearing in this thread. I just... I can't get enough of the subject! The A-Level History course doesn't satisfy me. :frown: I wish I had six sets of eyes so I could read History things at six times the pace.

There's a biography of Bloch by Carole Fink called 'March Bloch: a life in history'. I've not read it but I imagine it covers his wartime activities extensively.

The obvious thinker to fill in between Augustine and the Reformation is Thomas Aquinas, as the pre-eminent theologian and philosopher of the high middle ages: the CUP volume of his Political Writings is interesting and digestible.
Hello and thank you for your question. You have met the standard offer for Cambridge in your Italian exams but without being able to see your whole application and compare it to the rest of the field it's impossible to advise you about what to do. If you did decide to apply to Cambridge, then you would have a better chance applying having not taken up your place at another UK university as we try to avoid poaching students from other institutions.

Thanks for your reply

I Would like to apply for computer science (G400) In Diploma di stato, the school can not provide me individual subject grades (I have already tried).

However, as you can see I have taken the maximum result possibile so the marks must be full in each subject, therefore 15/15 in Maths too, but if really required I can provide my final term grade in Maths which is 9/10. As for other subjects my school is specialized in Informatics and Telecommunications, therefore I had also these subjects in the last 3 years, whereas, I have done Physics for the first 2 years.

I could not apply last year for Imperial as I was not sure if I would even be considered without providing my predicted grades as my school does not provide them.

I have already done IELTS this summer and got overall 7.5. What else is needed to get a serious chance at Imperial? I will get my reference from my two teachers (one of them teach maths, which recommended me to try for Cambridge)

I am also working in my class mates startup which also appeared many times in national tv and won many prices at regional and national level

I was also chosen from "federazione nazionale dei cavalieri del lavoro" which means national labor federation riders to be listed in one the best students of the year in Italy and maybe get a medal from President of Italy and a scholarship.To be considered in this federation I must have 9/10 in final semesters in last 6 years of school (average results of all subjects)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Des_Lumières
Hello there,

I didn't apply to Cambridge and am starting on a university course elsewhere this September. I was wondering, is it possible to transfer from another university into the second year at Cambridge? Also, please could you let me know where I could find out how many PhD places there are in languages/ social science each year?

Thanks!

It's not possible to swtich into the second year at Cambridge after one year elsewhere. Students who come from another university having not completed their original degree always start in first year. Have a look at the graduate studies pages on the Cambridge website, they should give you an indication of the numbers of PhD students. Beyond that you can always contact the department/s in question and ask them,
Original post by grxce_
Hello, I am hoping to apply for mathematics. I did a full A level in maths this year however my school has not 'cashed' it in so it won't be showing up on UCAS, the only thing that will appear is the AS. Since Cambridge will only have AS maths to look at (most people additionally have AS further maths or the A2 in maths), will it disadvantage my application?

Also, my UMS for AS maths were C1-100 C2-100 S1-83. How much will a poor S1 grade affect my application?

Thank you!

it doesn't matter whether the school cash in the result. The Cambridge SAQ requires you to fill in all your module results regardless of whether they've been cashed in. I cant tell you how much your S1 mark will affect you application - the process isn't mechanistic in that way. it's something that would be noted as a concern but if it's a blip then we will be able to work that out.
Original post by Clarinet
A student receives an A*AA offer and gets AAA, being 1 UMS an A* in a subject.
What are your thoughts? Thanks

There will be a lot of things to consider when a student misses the offer. These would include how close they got to making the offer, not just in one subject but across the board; how many other people in that subject missed in college; how many people missed across the college so how much space we have left; what the strength of the summer pool is going to be like; how strong were they academically previously; how did they do in the other aspects of the application; what is their educational background; are there any extenuating circumstances.

I can count on one hand and still have fingers left over the number of students I've taken with AAA at A Level. Our average humanities entrant gets between 2 and 3 A*s so a student with AAA is a long way below that.

As you can see, there's a lot to weigh up when deciding one way or the other.
Original post by isabella1999
This isn't specific to Cambridge, but do you know how you "declare" AS results on UCAS for reformed subjects? Do you add in an AS qualification and the grade even if you are continuing to next year? And if you don't do this, where do you put the grade you achieved? School Is not being very helpful! Thanks :smile:

The school should help you with this when you get back. If you've taken the AS you should declare it even if you are continuing with it as it is a separate result to your A Level. I'm nt really the person to ask about how to do it as I don't deal directly with UCAS, I get the output of the application not the input! Sorry.
Original post by Jamesgj123
Are there any colleges that don't offer NatSci? Also, which colleges require you to sit the TSA for the subject?

All coleges offer Nat Sci and from this year I don't think any still ask for the TSA as there is the new Admissions Assessment.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
When living in Colleges, will we have to take all of our belongings back home every time we leave the colleges after a term has ended, then bring it all back when the next term begins?

I don't have much to add to @vincrows on this. All colleges have slightly different rules but these will be explained to you in due course.

Latest

Trending

Trending