The Student Room Group

Luton Olympic funded Swimming Pool introduces "Men only" swim times

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/03/outrage-as-olympic-swimming-pool-bans-women-from-men-only-sessio/
"A swimming pool has introduced gender segregated sessions with bathers required to cover up from "navel to knee" for "cultural reasons".

The Inspire Sports Village in Stopsley, Luton, Beds., built using taxpayer-funded Olympic money, will give men exclusive access to the larger 50 metre competitive pool on Friday evenings, while women will be able to use the smaller 20 metre community pool."

Not a good idea in my opinion. As someone who does quite a lot of swimming I'd rather than ban slow people instead regardless of whether they're male or female, young or old.

But seriously I thought the whole "separate but equal" thing was thrown out back in the Civil Rights era (yes I know that was race more than gender but it should be a universal principle). This doesn't even fulfil the "equal" part as it makes women use the smaller pool.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apparently, according to a user on another thread, this kind of thing demonstrates how the "culture" in question values women more than men.
The men need to be seen to be shown preference because they are actually less honoured than women, so it is a sort of compensation for their lower stature.
Seriously.
This policy will begin to spread across the country, not really a surprise.
If they have a women's only swimming pool as well it won't be a big deal. They can't just have a men's only pool.
Don't worry a legal challenge is already being prepared
I can understand a Adults only swim time but there is no good reason for a man only time. This is a disgusting Practice and should be stopped. if you are offended by knees and women showing skin you probably should learn to live with it.
If this was a "Womens only" swim time no one would be saying anything against it. But because it's a men's only people are against it. Kind of sexist in my opinion that women can have exclusive things but people throw a fit when it's an exclusive thing for men.
Reply 7
And the ever considerate and fair minded islam strikes again at Western ideas of freedom. 'You must be covered navel to knee' so as not to offend the muslims in the area. And as islam is all for women being 'second class citizens' : staying at home and covering themselves completely, it makes sense that only men will be allowed to swim at certain times. I personally think that this is devolution of the rights the UK has worked so hard to build, just so it can pander to a minority group, and I think it should not be accepted. Once again I am forced to stand with the feminists on this one.
I pretend to care, even if it uses taxpayer money - but I really don't.

All this about cultural stuff is nonsense too. We still have institutions all around the country that are as British as you can get that don't admit women. Golf clubs, members clubs. We still have women-go-free nights and nurses nights and all this kind of stuff - so the fact that there are segregated swimming pools - do I really care?
It's for muslims? Based on recent events in Germany, I hope dads who take their sons there keep a close eye.
You've clearly never been to a public swimming pool. Most swimming pools across the country have gender segregation at allotted times as they always have - it's really nothing new.

You confused children really should stop taking the Daily Mail as bible and see what the real world's actually like x
This is what happens when you tolerate intolerance.You become Intolerant.Cultural reasons dont justify it because not all cultures are equal.Despite what some people would have you believe.
I almost spat out my starbucks when I read that, how outrageous :mad:

Spoiler

Original post by TheMouseyS
You've clearly never been to a public swimming pool. Most swimming pools across the country have gender segregation at allotted times as they always have - it's really nothing new.

You confused children really should stop taking the Daily Mail as bible and see what the real world's actually like x

Yes because anyone who opposes right wing sexism within a certain culture is a racist obviously who reads the daily mail.This gender segregation obviously has nothing to do with a sexist culture even though its in a part of the country where a large percentage follow Islam.The difference is that in general in western society we treat women with respect,in certain cultures they do not.And we should definitely not be pandering to it.
Original post by Zamestaneh
I almost spat out my starbucks when I read that, how outrageous :mad:

Spoiler

This is no joking matter sir.
How dare they :shakecane:
Original post by Robby2312
Yes because anyone who opposes right wing sexism within a certain culture is a racist obviously who reads the daily mail.This gender segregation obviously has nothing to do with a sexist culture even though its in a part of the country where a large percentage follow Islam.The difference is that in general in western society we treat women with respect,in certain cultures they do not.And we should definitely not be pandering to it.

Yeah K sit down. I live in rural Cheshire and there isn't a single Muslim for miles and the only two local swimming baths in my town are segregated by gender.

So maybe we should "stop pandering" to the bigoted misognyist white grannies that largely populate my town? x
Ive seen women only swimming times for years, this is nothing new at all. Regarding men having the larger swimming pool, maybe, just maybe it's because at those times there's more men than women so it makes sense to give them the larger one?
Original post by Trinculo
I pretend to care, even if it uses taxpayer money - but I really don't.

All this about cultural stuff is nonsense too. We still have institutions all around the country that are as British as you can get that don't admit women. Golf clubs, members clubs. We still have women-go-free nights and nurses nights and all this kind of stuff - so the fact that there are segregated swimming pools - do I really care?

I see your point. I struggle to get worked up about an hour a week at a leisure centre in a town I'll probably never go to.

Private clubs are funded through their memberships though so they're perfectly entitled to do what they like, publicly funded should mean open to all the public.
I assume the reason a local council funds and provides a swimming pool is to encourage health and fitness? If the goal is to try and promote a healthy lifestyle among a wide range of demographics within the local community, that might require them to try and be as inclusive as possible. I've seen local swimming pools running special times for the elderly, for children, for women etc... to try and encourage demographic who might otherwise not go swimming.
Reply 19
Original post by Tempest II
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/03/outrage-as-olympic-swimming-pool-bans-women-from-men-only-sessio/
"A swimming pool has introduced gender segregated sessions with bathers required to cover up from "navel to knee" for "cultural reasons".

The Inspire Sports Village in Stopsley, Luton, Beds., built using taxpayer-funded Olympic money, will give men exclusive access to the larger 50 metre competitive pool on Friday evenings, while women will be able to use the smaller 20 metre community pool."

Not a good idea in my opinion. As someone who does quite a lot of swimming I'd rather than ban slow people instead regardless of whether they're male or female, young or old.

But seriously I thought the whole "separate but equal" thing was thrown out back in the Civil Rights era (yes I know that was race more than gender but it should be a universal principle). This doesn't even fulfil the "equal" part as it makes women use the smaller pool.

Finally, an end to women getting all the free handouts, whilst men just get trodden on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending