The Student Room Group

The fibs your teacher told you in school [golden thread]

Scroll to see replies

Our chemistry teacher promised she'd make us curry if the whole class passed the GCSE. Pretty sure everyone passed, but we never got the curry:frown:
My history teacher once told us he worked for MI5 as a security personnel, and told us all about his adventures. We knew he was lying when a student logged into his facebook and the teacher couldn't log him back out again...
Literally everything I learnt in my science GCSEs seemed to be a lie when I got to A levels and my degree :colonhash:
"You'll love sixth form"
Haunts me to this day
A teacher in primary school once told me i had 'scraped a pass' in a test and it turns out i got 90%+
Reply 245
At least 60% of GCSE science in varying degrees
That the water we were testing in a science class was actual sea water.
My R.E teacher told me sheep do not have knees & I believed her until I watched the film just go with it & discovered that they do in fact have knees:unimpressed:
Original post by LanaDelReys
"You got an A in your French writing assessment". Needless to say I was a bit shocked on results day when my French grade breakdown went A*A*AD (a D in writing, turns out my very first pieces of coursework I wrote right at the beginning of year 10 were sent)

Lol that happened to me but I don't know exactly which ones they sent. They said I had an A in writing but when it showed a C on my actual results. I think it was for the best anyways. I wasn't that good but wanted to take it for A level.
Original post by Charles Dupiau
Well someone hates PE says the boy who doesn't have to do PE anymore.

Yeah PE sucks. Says the girl who also doesn't do it anymore
that frigging 90% was an A* in physics, like no, it's 75%, chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ?Hannah
that frigging 90% was an A* in physics, like no, it's 75%, chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll cover it up by saying they meant 90% UMS.
basically anything a teacher says is a lie
My English teacher lied that she was married, mainly because she attracted a lot of male attention from both students and fellow teachers, I can understood lying about a boyfriend, but who the hell lies about being married? Needless to say when the Governors found out she "resigned."
Original post by ConicalFlask
Our chemistry teacher promised she'd make us curry if the whole class passed the GCSE. Pretty sure everyone passed, but we never got the curry:frown:

Why curry? I can understand coffee or cupcakes or even melon. But not curry
That Pluto is (was) a planet.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Electrons are positioned in an orbit around the atom, like planets in the solar system, but with a maximum per "shell".

But actually, there's shells and subshells and they take all different shapes, and that's why you get the maxima that you do!

And then you find out that there are no shells and subshells, and it's actually a big cloud of probability for where an electron is likely to appear in the atom...

This isn't true though?Shells and subshells do exist and their existence comes from quantum numbers which are very important in determining the wavefunction for the "cloud".The whole idea of quantum numbers proves our teachers were right when they talked about shells but they didn't give us much detail about them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by greghayes
Oh man I have loads!

- that our primary school teacher invented the song "hey diddle diddle, median in the middle etc..."
- if you were being picked on, telling a teacher would solve the problem (they literally just went "yeah I doubt Beth would do that")
- year 6 SATs were important for high school
- the ICT GCSE was nationally compulsary
- your GCSE choices are just as important as your A Level choices for which unis and courses you can apply for (all mine say just B in English and Maths is enough for GCSE)
- having your hair dyed a slightly off-natural colour is "too distracting for class" (my college embraces unnatural hair colours with a "rainbow hair" day at the start of the year)
- "don't worry about those people who don't revise, they won't get the good grades" (we all know some people like this who annoy the rest of us)
- GCSE French will give you a very good understanding of basic communication skills for speaking to locals (hahahahahahaha... yeah no)
- "you should know what uni course you want to do by now, so you know what A Level subjects you need, so you know what GCSE subjects to choose to get you there" (in year 8...)
- "you have to tie your hair back in practicals, a few years ago there was a girl whose hair got dipped in acid then she caught it in a bunsen burner and her head caught fire" (really now? really?)

They determined what set I was in and my GCSE target grades so I'd say very important.Many clever people found themselves stuck in the English 2nd set after not doing well in their SATs, for some reason very little change took place although one person did manage to move up in Y10.
In year 9 we sat a GCSE Biology paper we were told was a mock, yet the result came up on my results sheet on results day in year 11! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dom2375
That bullying is dealt with

I have got to agree with this my school said that there was just one bullying incident last year, during the first day of the school.The truth of this it seems is because the school completely ignores bullying and the reason why I think is because it affects reputation.

I saw regular bullying incidents that occurred right in front of teachers eyes(in fact everyone was bullied to some extent I got bullied quite a bit people stealing stuff like my stationary and school book) and the teacher would just be like "stop" or something like that.I knew someone who complained that his sister was getting bullied(quite serious money getting stolen) and they never did anything thing so he beat up the person and got into serious trouble.

Quick Reply

Latest