The Student Room Group

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

I've just done my AS levels but here's some advice from me when starting out:

-Be organised from the first month onward. Keep your notes in folders/notebooks (whichever you prefer) but make sure course content is separated into manageable chunks. End of year revision will be a lot easier if you have your notes done properly the first time round, as well as understanding content throughout the year.

-Do wider reading. For most of my subjects this really helped with my understanding, extra quotes, and creating a good work ethic.

-Make use of your frees! It is SO tempting to waste your free periods, but try and do something study-related.

-Treat mock exams with respect. That way it will give a more realistic indication of where you're at, which can be useful.
Just don't, unless you want to have multiple mental breakdowns.
Original post by She-Ra
Your A-levels are done, you're now officially a little bit older and a little bit wiser :moon:

So what's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

Other golden threads:

1. List the fibs your teacher told you at school

2. What's your ultimate summer tune?

3. Which GCSE subject can you not wish to ditch?

4. Sum up how you’re feeling about results day in a meme or gif

5. How do you plan to celebrate your exam results?

6. Starting uni: what are you most excited about?

7. One essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

8. What's the one thing will get you through results day?

The competition runs from 3 August to 23:59 on 26 August 2016. The random draw will be made on 30 August 2016.

Don't bother with Uni, it's a waste of money and time.
Make sure you are completely in love with the subjects that you are choosing. Being interested helps out a lot and you will not want to study a subject that you're not interested in and you're just doing for the prestige.

Also - start revising at the very beginning of September in your first year. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you won't need to revise that early on - it will help you a lot.
Original post by BRONZEMEDAL1
Don't bother with Uni, it's a waste of money and time.

Why do you say that?
Original post by B_9710
Why do you say that?

Employers want experience, that is all. Qualifications are not highly esteemed because too many people hold degrees, you're looked down on if you get 2.2. If you get 2.1 that's decent. 1st degree will get your colleagues jealous, so don't mention it.

Work experience is the only thing that contains value.
Degrees are cheap now.
Original post by Divine Turnip
Ignore teachers who tell you to do extra reading. Thats for uni. Stick to past papers and DOMINATE them i swear down there is a pattern THERE IS ALWAYS A PATTERN just figure it out and you will excel. Also, start A2 in the Summer after AS because lord knows you wont have enough time.

I wouldn't say this applies to all subjects - particularly language students should be reading as much of their foreign language as they can. Also extra reading has greatly helped me with my philosophy essays :tongue:

Though I agree that for the majority of subjects it isn't necessary.
Employers want experience, that is all. Qualifications are not highly esteemed because too many people hold degrees, you're looked down on if you get 2.2. If you get 2.1 that's decent. 1st degree will get your colleagues jealous, so don't mention it.

Degrees are cheap now.

Get as much work experience as you want in the medicine field but when you come to looking for a job, the people with qualifications will have a higher chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Qualifications abd work experience are important, but qualifications are the first step because without these you may not even be considered for top jobs but if you have qualifications and no work experience, people with both will have an easier time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Get as much work experience as you want in the medicine field but when you come to looking for a job, the people with qualifications will have a higher chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine!? True,
but seriously man, how many people are studying medicine, it's only the rich elites who study medicine then they lose themselves up their own bum hole.
Original post by Inexorably
I wouldn't say this applies to all subjects - particularly language students should be reading as much of their foreign language as they can. Also extra reading has greatly helped me with my philosophy essays :tongue:

Though I agree that for the majority of subjects it isn't necessary.

You can't get a good future with Philosophy. Sorry to bring you bad weather about your future. Languages yes, Philosophy is a deadweight.
Medicine!? True,
but seriously man, how many people are studying medicine, it's only the rich elites who study medicine then they lose themselves up their own bum hole.

And a few other 'respected' jobs, what kind of jobs are you speaking about

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't get a good future with Philosophy. Sorry to bring you bad weather about your future. Languages yes, Philosophy is a deadweight.

1) I don't know why you felt the need to say that, philosophy is a very employable degree due to the analytical skills acquired.

2) Even so, I'm not studying philosophy at uni.

3) Next time be more considerate before deciding to **** off people's choices?
Original post by She-Ra
Your A-levels are done, you're now officially a little bit older and a little bit wiser :moon:

So what's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

Other golden threads:

1. List the fibs your teacher told you at school

2. What's your ultimate summer tune?

3. Which GCSE subject can you not wish to ditch?

4. Sum up how you’re feeling about results day in a meme or gif

5. How do you plan to celebrate your exam results?

6. Starting uni: what are you most excited about?

7. One essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

8. What's the one thing will get you through results day?

The competition runs from 3 August to 23:59 on 26 August 2016. The random draw will be made on 30 August 2016.

Your time will fly , seriously these two years have been the fastest years of my life so far . And choose your friends wisely , they can make a big impact on you and getting in with the wrong crowd means your academics can suffer also so dont just jump into the first friendship you see . And if you have any high school friends going to the same sixth form /college, dont just leave them to make new friends keep both as one day you will regret having ditched yor old buddies
Original post by Inexorably
1) I don't know why you felt the need to say that, philosophy is a very employable degree due to the analytical skills acquired.

2) Even so, I'm not studying philosophy at uni.

3) Next time be more considerate before deciding to **** off people's choices?

Where's your proof ?
Philosophy is a mickey mouse course.

I'm only saying it for your own good, mate, it's called caring.

Degrees are cheap now.

What degree did you do and what did you get?
No matter how amazingly you did in your IGCSE's, remember that A Levels are NOT the same. One of our teachers used to constantly repeat that it is a leap, not a step, from IGCSE's.
Also, make sure you plan your time because man does it fly! And most importantly, don't over stress because unless you really, really need a push, it'll just get your productivity levels low :angel:
And of course, good luck - you can do it!
An advice for AS students, aim for Oxbridge even if you don't think you have a chance.
Shameless plug again, I made a thread on my advice for AS students based off my experience. This is the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4197729

Quick Reply

Latest